Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 11-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Question Meat Grinders

I need to buy a meat grinder. Something of quality. Any suggestions?
Old 11-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Meat Grinders

Don't do it man, get counseling instead, don't put it in the grinder!!

Now that that's out of the way are you looking electric or motorized? I had the attachment for the kitchen aid mixer back in the day that was very good, but I only used it for small batches.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

I heard many women prefer Dropsons...

Old 11-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Probably should start with what you intend to grind.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I have a LEM #8 "Big Bite" and am quite pleased with it. The Big Bite line is all stainless with metal gearing and actual industrial TEFC motors inside the machine. It doesn't look that large in the photos, but it is a substantial machine that weighs around 45 lbs.

The new #8 BB's are 1/2 HP. I have the older 1/3 HP and have never found it lacking. Aside from maybe bones, which I've never tried to grind, nothing seems to phase or bog it down.

I've never timed the grind speed, but it will 18-20 lbs of pork shoulder into chorizo pretty damn fast. I actually think I spend more time cleaning and setting up/down than I do grinding, even with that large batch size.

I also have the foot switch for it, which is very useful. It's great having your hands for dealing with the meat and not the power switch on the side.

IIRC, you can sign up on their website for the newsletter and you get a discount code in your first email. In the past, you even could use the codes on sale merchandise.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I'll second the LEM line. I have their lowest #8, rated at 800 watts I believe. Does the job for me, but I'm doing less than 10lb batches. If you plan to do larger batches, you'll need to step up in power. Weston is another good brand to look at. And don't forget Cabelas. IIRC, those are just rebranded Weston's (or LEM).
Old 11-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
If you plan to do larger batches, you'll need to step up in power. Weston is another good brand to look at. And don't forget Cabelas. IIRC, those are just rebranded Weston's (or LEM).
Precisely. When I spoke with the service department at LEM before buying a machine, I wanted to talk to the people that fix them and have them dissembled. The $100 ish countertop models with the plastic bodies have plastic gears and the cooling isn't the best. The biggest problem they run into is people grinding too large a batch or over feeding the machine too quickly. They overheat the machines and kill them.

That's why I went with the big bite. I wasn't going to do 20 lb batches all the time, but I wanted the ability to with the metal gears, a real cased motor, and different design auger that can be fed much faster. To me it was worth the extra $250. It was a lesson learned from my Vitamix - never thought I'd spend $400 on blender but once I did and used it, I've never regretted it and wondered why I didn't buy one sooner.

Last edited by T.G; 11-12-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Ah, my ex-wife's nickname.

I looked into getting one of these towards the end of the marriage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bA6RmsV6R0

Good luck in your quest, Moses.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Someone else recommended LEM as well. Those LEM's ain't cheap. The one he mentioned was $450...

I am looking to do 2-3 lbs of chunk beef "beef for grinding" for hamburger. I was hoping something simple would do it, no?
Old 11-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Someone else recommended LEM as well. Those LEM's ain't cheap. The one he mentioned was $450...

I am looking to do 2-3 lbs of chunk beef "beef for grinding" for hamburger. I was hoping something simple would do it, no?
Got a KitchenAid mixer? If so, the attachment works just fine for that amount.

This is the one I have, https://smile.amazon.com/LEM-Product...70_&dpSrc=srch

For under $100, will work just fine for 2-3lbs.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Got a KitchenAid mixer? If so, the attachment works just fine for that amount.
No I don't at the moment, but may buy one this season. That was my first option actually. My parents were going to give me theirs a month ago, then said they wanted it longer.

They also have an older Champion juicer that has a meat grinding attachment. I have a Champion too, but newer and the attachment doesn't work. They said I can have their juicer, so maybe that for start. The motor is powerful on the Champion.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #12
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Best results are having everything really cold. Put both the grinder attachment and meat in the freezer for an hour. Helps stop the fat from smearing. Also, take some 1500 grit sand paper on a piece of glass or mirror and true up the dies and blade. Use a bit of water for lubricantion. You'll get a much better result that way.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:46 AM   #13
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
I heard many women prefer Dropsons...

The butcher in TV series of Fargo Season 2. The foot sticking out the grinder packs me up.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:48 AM   #14
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

I use a kitchen aid with the sausage attachment great for making sausages out of Canada goose and pork fat - I call them flying pigs (in honour of JD). They are delicious,but definitely not too kosher.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #15
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

I just received this promo code from LEM

Promo code: turkeyweek17
Spend $70, Get 15% Off.
Spend $140, Get 20% Off

Offer is valid through 11/22/17 at 11:59 pm EST

For small batch stuff, I'd get the "mighty bite" - it's smaller and more maneuverable than the "big bite" that I have, but still has some of the better features like all metal gearing.

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/m...-meat-grinders

It's a bit more than the all-plastic one, but with the discount, it's only about $180.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #16
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Spend $70, Get 15% Off.
Spend $140, Get 20% Off

For small batch stuff, I'd get the "mighty bite" - it's smaller and more maneuverable than the "big bite" that I have, but still has some of the better features like all metal gearing.

It's a bit more than the all-plastic one, but with the discount, it's only about $180.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Spend $70, Get 15% Off.
Spend $140, Get 20% Off

Thanks for the promo code. I ordered:

#12 Big Bite Grinder - 0.75 HP
Mighty Bite 15 lb. Vertical Sausage Stuffer

A hunting friend of mine is in need for both, so as long as I get something for the use, I figured it was worth the investment. We both have 200 lbs pigs where there is a lot of meet for grinding we'll process into fresh sausage.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #18
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

What kind of pigs? I'm waiting to hear from friends about picking up both hind legs from an American Guinea Hog sow they just processed. Both will be dry cured.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:16 AM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
What kind of pigs? I'm waiting to hear from friends about picking up both hind legs from an American Guinea Hog sow they just processed. Both will be dry cured.
They are either Gloucester's, Hampshire's, or Yorkshires.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Just loving that grinder. Easy to use and clean. Looking forward to using the sausage stuff this weekend.