Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 02-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation
Default Burger Joints - What's Your Fav?

Been going out of my way recently to hit Shake Shack. There's something about their Smoke Shack Burger and those delicious cherry peppers along with the bacon & their sauce (I add onion too) that just hits the spot for me.

Based on burgers only, my top three - in order - would be:

1. Shake Shack
2. In 'n Out
3. Five Guys

Shout outs to Johnny Rockets for their Chocolate Malteds, and you won't be able convince that McDonald's doesn't have the best fries when you hit them just right. Other places may have a better fry on a consistent basis, but when a McDonald's french fry is in the zone, there's none better.

What do you like? And why?

Old 02-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Burger Joints - What's Your Fav?

I'm a fan of In 'n Out....maybe it's because I only get them when I go to Cali, but their quality reminds me of Wendys when they first opened up and gave a sh!t.

Besides that there is no other chain I get burgers from. Lots of good independant burger joints in Chicagoland though.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a fan of Steak 'N Shake...just love the old school feel of the place and really enjoy the food. And the shakes ain't bad either.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Never ever was an In 'n Out fan to be honest.

Five Guys for local but there are a lot of places here that I've never been to that people swear by Slater's 50/50 and Hodadies to name two.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

There's one around here called Juicy Burger. They use really good sirloin for their burgers and they're mostly build your own.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

My top two are local places:
1) Love Shack. Yes, that's the name. It's a small place about a mile from my house. Limited hours and days of operation. Run by a husband and wife who do all the cooking. The burgers are fantastic; they take great pride in them and it shows. My favorite has caramelized onions, grilled mushrooms, and blue cheese on it. It is a sublime burger.

2) Mugshots. A local place that started in Hattiesburg, Mississippi then grew to have franchises throughout the state and in Alabama. Has won awards for best burger in the state every year for pretty much the last decade. Just flat-out great burgers. Their wings are great too, especially with the Carolina honey-mustard sauce.

3) Whataburger. When it comes to a fast-food burger, it's hard to beat Whataburger.

Honorable mention: McD's Quarter Pounder w/cheese and a side of hot and salty fries. Ol' reliable. Toss in a large Sprite and you have what was in my youth my hangover cure.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:07 PM   #7
Brandon
Trout chaser

Trading: (0)
Brandon is on a distinguished road

My favorite is Beinlichs outside of Chicago. They make a very tender patty, not too thick or thin. They only allow grilled onions and cheese to be ordered on the burger... they don't allow salads. It's a lodge type atmosphere with the short menu posted on the wall.

I do a version of theirs. Fresh ground chuck ensures plenty of oozing fat. Slow smoking adds more goodness. Searing on the cast iron over blazing coals give a great crust. The meat is frozen before grinding, and spread out before seasoning and forming patties. A good burger should not be over compacted
Punt

Last edited by Brandon; 02-01-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

My favorite burger joint isn't anymore. As a fat prepubescent in the early/mid '60s my dear departed mother used to take me to the lunch counter at G.C. Murphy's a few Saturdays a month. I can still taste those big grilled burgers today, crispy on the outside and juicy in the middle. Perfectly balanced with lettuce, tomato, bacon, and cheese, all on a bun always as fresh as the ground round . . . man, they were great, each and every time.

There's no more Murphy's, there's no more Mom, and there's damn few lunch counters left in this world also. I'd give my left one for one more of those Saturdays.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #9
Black Coral
Have My Own Room

First Name: John
Trading: (11)
Cohiba
Black Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the rough

1) le tub Fort Lauderdale - burger and key lime pie
2) aux cheval in Chicago - burger and pepper bacon
3) matts bar in Minneapolis - burger and juicy Lucy
4) anchor bar in superior Wisconsin - burger and home cut fries but the atmosphere is awesome
5) Vj's drive inn Winnipeg Canada - burger and hotdogs and homemade double Greek fries
6) dairy whip in Winnipeg Canada - burger or hot dog but the chili fries shoestring style
8) Charlies idrive (bar seats only and on kids menu)
9) whataburger
10) in and out
11) Freddy's

Last edited by Black Coral; 02-01-2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Additional info
Black Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
Nazgul
El Dorado 15 Fanatic

Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Nazgul is on a distinguished road

I'm in the minority here, so don't go too hard on me: Burger King. Yeah, the whopper does it for me, better than anywhere else... though, we don't have the same selection in Canada as you 'muricans.
Nazgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Big chains: In-and-Out and Five Guys
PNW: Mcmenamins (a brewpub chain)

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #12
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Big chains: Smashburger & Habit Burger
Local: Callahan's and Slaters 50/50 (half beef - half bacon)
Old 02-02-2017, 03:27 AM   #13
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

1. Mugshots
2. Whataburger
3. Five Guys
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:29 AM   #14
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Love Me Some Mugshots!
http://www.mugshotsgrillandbar.com
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:59 AM   #15
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Love Me Some Mugshots!
http://www.mugshotsgrillandbar.com

I usually get a burger and take an order of wings home.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:20 AM   #16
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Big chains: Smashburger. Love the bacon and blue.

Local joint: Mercury Burger Bar. Some creative combinations, with a side of tater tot poutine. Worth killing my diet for once in a while.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Local place, Plainfield Station. Was a gas & service station built in the 1930's for a town that no longer exists (Plainfield). Somewhere along the way it turned into the complete dive that it is today. Great sloppy burgers, cold beer often short poured because they won't dump the foam, nutty owner, trashy old barmaids, at least a 35% chance you are going to run into someone you know there, torn barstools, slightly dilapidated building, **** adorning most every spot on the walls and ceiling, neons and posters from beers they don't even sell, and a huge back patio where you can smoke (a rarity here in CA). Someone once published a review and called it "The rural version of Cheers". Everything that goes together to make a dive bar & grill great.

As for chains, they are all about the same to me. Krush and Habit are a bit better, followed by In-N-Out and Five Guys.

PS: I miss the old Hamptons on Highland. Nothing really compared to that place, something so unique about it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #18
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Local - Urban Butcher, they cure their own meats and make their burgers using dry aged steak. It's a $20 burger after you add the house cured bacon and cheese, but it is the best burger I have ever had.

Chains:
Shake Shack
Whataburger
BurgerFi
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #19
ksknnr
Feeling at Home

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (13)
ksknnr is on a distinguished road

for chains I like smash burger and Wahlburgers,
My favorite is Mr. Bartley's Burgers in Harvard square Cambridge,
Old 02-02-2017, 08:30 AM   #20
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Strictly a west coast operation but I've been chomping down on these since the early 70's. Amazingly I'm still alive. Mostly.

Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote