Old 08-06-2016, 06:35 AM   #1
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough
Default Big Green Egg

Well, I finally bit the bullet so to speak and purchased a Big Green Egg to replace/supplement my Weber Smoky mountain. I've been a huge supporter of the WSM for years and love it, but I've always had a deep desire for one of these komodo style grills. My wife bought it for me for my birthday. They are having their annual EggFest here in Louisville this weekend and with the sale prlce on it and the accessories, I jumped in. I got the XL as just couldn't see the large fitting what I most usually cook. Will be a week or so before delivery, but I already can't wait. Any other Eggheads here with suggestions of course appreciated. Thanks. Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #2
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Big Green Egg

You're going to like it. I have one and a WSM as well. Love the WSM but the Egg is just so versatile--everything from ribs to pizza--that it sees the most use unless I'm cooking for a really big group and need the extra space.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

You will love the BGE. I've added two accessories that I consider must haves.

BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 Kit for Big Green Egg. I just added this a few months ago and can't figure out why I didn't add it before. I like to smoke brisket for a long time (20+hours) and now I don't have to stay awake all night fiddling with the vent settings. Holds 180 perfectly for the entire smoke. Uses less charcoal as well.

SmokeWare SS Vented Chimney Cap. Controls the airflow so much better than the stock device AND can be used in rain, etc. Side venting rather than top venting.

You may or may not know that Royal Oak makes the charcoal for BGE. It's pretty cheap at Home Depot but maybe worth shopping around if you use a lot.

Welcome to the fam! Lots of amazing smokers around here (I'm not one but I play one in my dreams) and killer recipes. Since you have a WSM, you probably already know that, but I like to ramble when people get an egg.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
Grey Goose
Disfrutar de cigarros!

First Name: Carlos
Trading: (1)
RA AirForce (Served With Honor)
Grey Goose will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
You will love the BGE. I've added two accessories that I consider must haves.

BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 Kit for Big Green Egg. I just added this a few months ago and can't figure out why I didn't add it before. I like to smoke brisket for a long time (20+hours) and now I don't have to stay awake all night fiddling with the vent settings. Holds 180 perfectly for the entire smoke. Uses less charcoal as well.

SmokeWare SS Vented Chimney Cap. Controls the airflow so much better than the stock device AND can be used in rain, etc. Side venting rather than top venting.

You may or may not know that Royal Oak makes the charcoal for BGE. It's pretty cheap at Home Depot but maybe worth shopping around if you use a lot.

Welcome to the fam! Lots of amazing smokers around here (I'm not one but I play one in my dreams) and killer recipes. Since you have a WSM, you probably already know that, but I like to ramble when people get an egg.
Great info, we just bought one too at a 4th of July sale, have barely used it so far but have always wanted one, going online now to look up those accessories. ;-)
Old 08-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Thanks guys; appreciate it. Mark, great info about the Guru. I've been looking at those and your recommendation seals the deal so to speak. By the way, I've never smoked a brisket at a target temp of 180 for 20 hours. Been more in the range of 225 - 250 for 14 5o 16 hours. Have to try that. I did hear that Royal Oak made the BGE labeled charcoal, but didn't know it was sold at HD. Will check it out. Can't wait to give it my first run.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #6
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

As the others have said, you'll love it. I have a large BGE and use it every weekend, or more. It's very versatile. I plan to do a pork shoulder on Saturday for a small party. Probably do some Atomic Buffalo Turds too for an appetizer. So many great recipes that can be done on the BGE.

One word of advise - tighten the bolts for the lid regularly. My lid landed on the driveway and smashed early this spring. BGE worked with me on a replacement lid, but it's easy to keep the bolts tight. They're 1/2", so I just keep a 1/2" wrench with my cooking gear.

Have fun and post pictures!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
As the others have said, you'll love it. I have a large BGE and use it every weekend, or more. It's very versatile. I plan to do a pork shoulder on Saturday for a small party. Probably do some Atomic Buffalo Turds too for an appetizer. So many great recipes that can be done on the BGE.

One word of advise - tighten the bolts for the lid regularly. My lid landed on the driveway and smashed early this spring. BGE worked with me on a replacement lid, but it's easy to keep the bolts tight. They're 1/2", so I just keep a 1/2" wrench with my cooking gear.

Have fun and post pictures!
Thanks! Great advice. I will post some pics when I get her running. I've had it a little over a week and haven't been able to get my first ride in. Bugging me, but will take care of that this weekend.