Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 01-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Roasted Garlic

Does anybody regularly roast garlic? Being a garlic lover like many of you I use the stuff in everything, and in the past I would occasionally roast some in the oven for particular uses, then I found myself saving some of the roasted cloves for a secondary particular use, and now I've gotten to the point where I roast many heads of garlic at a time just to keep them around and cook with in the future. I prefer the taste, texture, and ease of use to regular raw garlic.

To roast, I take the garlic heads, cut a little off the top so each clove is slightly exposed, then drizzle some olive oil and salt, pepper, and usually a little rosemary or thyme, then wrap that in foil and put in the oven at 400* for about an hour, or until the clove start to get soft and expand. Anybody have any other techniques?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Roasted Garlic

My family likes roasted garlic; we have tried a number of different oils and use avocado oil or ghee. I also like to add red pepper.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Does anybody regularly roast garlic? Being a garlic lover like many of you I use the stuff in everything, and in the past I would occasionally roast some in the oven for particular uses, then I found myself saving some of the roasted cloves for a secondary particular use, and now I've gotten to the point where I roast many heads of garlic at a time just to keep them around and cook with in the future. I prefer the taste, texture, and ease of use to regular raw garlic.

To roast, I take the garlic heads, cut a little off the top so each clove is slightly exposed, then drizzle some olive oil and salt, pepper, and usually a little rosemary or thyme, then wrap that in foil and put in the oven at 400* for about an hour, or until the clove start to get soft and expand. Anybody have any other techniques?
Done most of that the same way here. I've also added red pepper flakes as Michael described, but I've never really bothered to mess with other oils besides olive oil.

I have cooked some in the pellet grill / smoker, leaving the foil open for about 20-30 minutes with the unit on smoke, then sealing the foil and kicking it up to 400F. Came out pretty good.

Last night I tried the sous vide method that Dom mentioned:
http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/rec...-garlic-confit

Despite my cooker going nucking futs the last 30 minutes of the cook, the stuff came out phenomenally good. I think I probably ate about 1/4 of the jar this morning on some toasted ciabatta bread. Next time I make some, I'm going to try a few different bags, each one with different spices to see how they come out.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I have one of these and I love it!

http://www.amazon.com/Tagco-Electric...s_678519011_14
Old 01-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I like to put my garlic in to a small clay pot to roast. I also put heads of garlic on the smoker after rubbing with olive oil.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:03 AM   #6
Padron42
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (8)
Partagas
Padron42 is on a distinguished road

I have been roasting garlic a lot lately. Definitely going to try the smoker idea though, that sounds great, thanks.
Padron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
StuartIsRelaxed
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
StuartIsRelaxed is on a distinguished road

Try smashing it up and then putting it in a smoker!
StuartIsRelaxed is offline   Reply With Quote