Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 07-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #21
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Gas Grill Recommendations

If the price difference is not big, i'd suggest getting the side burner. I use mine all the time. Warm chili for hot dogs. Peppers n onions for tacos/fajitas. Beans.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #22
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Had the biggest pain in the ass with a Broil King at Lowes a few months ago. Guy tried telling me it was such a great grill for the money (800 bucks). Went through three of them because they were all POS. Finally stopped f'ing around and bought a Weber Genesis and its a fantastic grill. The thing is solid and feels like an 800 dollar grill should. You wont regret it.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #23
Hammerhead

Trading: (0)
Hammerhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
If the price difference is not big, i'd suggest getting the side burner. I use mine all the time. Warm chili for hot dogs. Peppers n onions for tacos/fajitas. Beans.
I'm TOTALLY down with the side burner. That's what the RED had, and ironically enough, the only thing that hasn't rusted to its bones.

When grills go on sale at the end of the year (usually after Labor Day) what sort of discount could I expect? Is it 20%... 30%... just curious.
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #24
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
I use the side burner more than I use the grates. I like cooking steaks on a cast iron pan (outside on side burner) and it keeps the kitchen clean up a breeze.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:33 AM   #25
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Ok, big question if I may.
Why gas?
Old 07-24-2014, 07:02 AM   #26
Hammerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
Ok, big question if I may.
Why gas?
Because charcoal is a PITA. It creates a huge storage inconvenience, it's problematic for large items like rib racks because it's hard to get an even burn, it can't be used effectively for a roast (like pork) because you have to remove the roast empty the ash and add fresh coals periodically over 4 hours, it goes out if you have something that drips a lot, and I can get the same results on a gas grill with a handful of wood chips which come in a MUCH smaller bag.

But please - try and convince me I don't want gas.

Last edited by Hammerhead; 07-24-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #27
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

"Top" Gas Grill...

Old 07-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #28
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

If you're going to drop some coin on a big nice grill that you don't want to replace then I'd go with a BGE. It's a great cooker and it'll last forever. But it can be overkill if you just want to cook one burger.
If you want to convenience of gas in a charcoal flavor then get the Weber Performer with the gas start ignition. Also with a charcoal storage bin that stays dry in a complete monsoon.
Oh, and check out the BBQ Pit Boys on You Tube and see everything you mentioned cooked on charcoal.

Check the prices of propane too, on a big multi burner grill you'll use a lot of gas on a four hour cook. A bag of lump charcoal in a BGE will last an entire 18 hour smoke if you cook anything that long.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #29
Hammerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
If you're going to drop some coin on a big nice grill that you don't want to replace then I'd go with a BGE. It's a great cooker and it'll last forever. But it can be overkill if you just want to cook one burger.
If you want to convenience of gas in a charcoal flavor then get the Weber Performer with the gas start ignition. Also with a charcoal storage bin that stays dry in a complete monsoon.
Oh, and check out the BBQ Pit Boys on You Tube and see everything you mentioned cooked on charcoal.

Check the prices of propane too, on a big multi burner grill you'll use a lot of gas on a four hour cook. A bag of lump charcoal in a BGE will last an entire 18 hour smoke if you cook anything that long.
Having been using charcoal in my old gas RED grill to extend its usable life until I arrive at a solution, and also having used charcoal-only grills in the past, I can tell you that there is zero chance I'd want a charcoal grill. Also, because I frequently cook only one burger or a couple dogs or sausages, charcoal is a complete inconvenience for my needs. But everyone likes something different, I suppose.

Last edited by Hammerhead; 07-24-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #30
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

This thread is helping me a lot. I think the Weber Genesis is going to be my next grill. I've been wanting to replace my gas grill this summer, but haven't been able to figure out what to get. I tend to buy cheap grills and they only last me about four to five years and yes, I cover it after every use.

I prefere gas simply because of the convenience. My buddy in SC has a BGE and only seems to use it on his days off or the weekends because of time issues. For me, if I only cooked on the grill on the weekends, I'd love to use charcoal. But, since I like to cook on the grill during the week after work, gas saves me a lot of time and greatly reduces the mess. Besides that, in my opinion, charcoal is a pita to use in the Upstate New York winters.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #31
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I find gas grills dry out food more than wood based grills. Not to mention sometimes the food can taste like gas or greasy char from previous meals. Can't beat the convenience of gas though.

That is why I stick with the cast iron on the side burner. Our condo grill just too gross to use and I don't want to be the one cleaning a grill I don't use...
Old 07-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #32
Hammerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I find gas grills dry out food more than wood based grills. Not to mention sometimes the food can taste like gas or greasy char from previous meals. Can't beat the convenience of gas though...
That's why I liked the RED. It had an Infrared design that did not cook via convection. however, the new Weber design seems to be better at channeling hot dry air away from the food than their previous designs. Bottom line, I'm going with a Genesis.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #33
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

I like gas in the winter when it cold and I just don't want to mess with the charcoal. The ease with which you can light it, cook your food and turn it off makes it a must have for me. I still use charcoal when I have the time and prefer the flavor over gas, but gas is predictable and easy. I use the Traegar more often then either the gas or charcoal, but when it comes to steaks and burgers, the gas or charcoal grill is the way to go.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #34
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

First Name: Mark
Trading: (14)
Partagas
8lug is on a distinguished road

For what its worth, I can get my BGE's to hamburger temp as quick as any gas grill. It's all in the technique. I use my eggs 3-4 nights a week for the past 12 years, they really are "no fuss" cooking.
8lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #35
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
I like gas in the winter when it cold and I just don't want to mess with the charcoal. The ease with which you can light it, cook your food and turn it off makes it a must have for me. I still use charcoal when I have the time and prefer the flavor over gas, but gas is predictable and easy. I use the Traegar more often then either the gas or charcoal, but when it comes to steaks and burgers, the gas or charcoal grill is the way to go.
This is where I am at. I need a grill (well, not that I have a gas stove I guess I don't "NEED" one...but that's another story) and last year bought a traeger. I use the traeger all the time, but when I want to sear and crank out some steaks or some lamb chops I like the easiness of a gas grill. Also for me - takes away the issue of someone (or me) screwing something up.

Propane is more expensive that Natural Gas - but I don't want to run a line around the house right now. Sounds like I am Genesis bound - and they make one with a flat pan in it if I go that way.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #36
Hammerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lug View Post
For what its worth, I can get my BGE's to hamburger temp as quick as any gas grill. It's all in the technique. I use my eggs 3-4 nights a week for the past 12 years, they really are "no fuss" cooking.
I was tempted by a BGE but it's still charcoal and the round shape makes it awkward for ribs. Not sure how a rotisserie would work, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conch Republican View Post
Propane is more expensive that Natural Gas - but I don't want to run a line around the house right now. Sounds like I am Genesis bound - and they make one with a flat pan in it if I go that way.
You and I are pretty much in the same boat. Having lived with cooking via both methods, I find that propane is the way to go for me. Just a heads up - the Genesis 330 model has a sear area and side burner - something you might want to consider.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #37
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

I too have the gas grill primarily for convenience and I have not noticed an issue with food being dryer in general. But, I have both a gas grill and a charcoal grill, which I understand not everyone wants to have both. I do enjoy both depending on the food I am cooking and the timing. I'm generally not a charcoal guy during the middle of the week, but that's just me. I do know you won't regret getting a Genesis.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #38
coach
Hiding in Klug"s Humi

Trading: (3)
HUpmann
coach will become famous soon enough

I have a Weber 310 GAS. Stainless and love it. Large cooking area with 3 controls. No side burner but does have firm prep areas on both sides of grill area. I have mine on direct gas line hook-up into my house. That kit costs roughly $50 and has a pop off coupler. Cook year round.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #39
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Either Napoleon or Weber. Both are equivalent in level of build quality, warranty and pricing. Personally I've had a Napoleon Prestige P450RB w/o side burner for the last 6 years and it's been phenomenal. We cook almost exclusively on the grill in the summer so it's gotten very heavy use in that time, the only part that's worn out is the sliding drip tray and that was just because I didn't clean in out as often as I should have.

Regarding gas use, any quality grill should be well insulated and act effectively as an oven with the result being very little fuel required to maintain cooking temperatures once the grill is up to temp. I'll typically see 3+ weeks on a standard 20lb tank from my Napoleon and that's with cooking at least 5 nights a week on it including at least one roast or rotisserie per week.

It's the el cheapo $300 - $400 BBQ's from Costco et al that chew through the gas, especially if you're trying to cook roasts or use the rotisserie. Those grills are also much more challenging to use and consistently produce moist results on as they are much harder to do proper indirect grilling on due to their inability to properly hold heat with the burners off or on low.

Last edited by mithrilG60; 07-25-2014 at 11:15 AM.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #40
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

One way to save money on propane is to get your tank refilled instead of exchanging them at the local hardware store. Around here, the tank exchange places only fill them with 16 lbs of propane, but the tank holds 20 lbs. I have 3 tanks and get them filled at the local U-Haul store.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote