Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 07-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Hammerhead

Trading: (0)
Hammerhead is on a distinguished road
Default Gas Grill Recommendations

Hey, guys. Long time, no post. Been keeping a low profile for personal and economic reasons, but knew that I can always rely on y'all for good advice.

I'm looking to replace a CharBroil 'Red' grill I bought in 2010 when I closed on my home in PA. Unfortunately the quality of construction just didn't cut it and the internal components started rotting out in only a couple years. The biggest problem was with the infrared troughs, which only last about a season before rusting through and needing to be replaced at $100/set.

Right now, I have my eye on a Weber Genesis E330, but would be interested in hearing your thoughts on any other options.

Thanks in advance!
Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Gas Grill Recommendations

Weber. /thread
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mjdx88 is on a distinguished road

Weber Spirit / Genesis all the way. The Genesis is a big grill, if you entertain alot or do a lot of grilling its worth it. If not scale down to the nice 3 burner spirit you wont go wrong.

These still need to be covered when not in use and cleaned after each use. Even with that depending on your enviorment you will have to replace the flavorizer bars periodically and the grates. But when cared for these grills will last you easy 10+ years

Hell if you want spree for the ducane they are even better!
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I have gone through 2 of the $400-500 types of grills over the past 10-12 years.

Fast forward to a month ago I brought home a Weber Genesis E330. I'd be money ahead if I had only done this to begin with. The lid alone probably weighs more than some of the grills being made today.

Get the E330 and don't even look back.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

My Weber Genesis is 11 or 12 years old. The piezo ignition finally wore out but matches suffice. I also replaced the steel flavorizer bars with stainless copies a buddy in the company shop made. Use it constantly!
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
Hammerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdx88 View Post
These still need to be covered when not in use and cleaned after each use. Even with that depending on your enviorment you will have to replace the flavorizer bars periodically and the grates. But when cared for these grills will last you easy 10+ years
Bingo. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a store that stocks Weber parts. Troughs for the CharBroil RED? Not so much. They last only about one year, and you have to order them online, so it winds up nearly $150/year on top of what you spend for the grill. All this, despite religiously covering the grill after every use.

For example:

CharBroil Trough set: $109 plus shipping
http://www.charbroil.com/catalogsear...parts=true&go=

Weber flavor bars: $40 plus tax.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Por...7534/100623126

I'm thinkin' this would look pretty sweet on my deck:
Old 07-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

I have that one in green. Matches the BGE
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

What every one else has said. You won't ever regret a Weber. I have the gas grill, two smokers and a Performer.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Another weber testimonial. Mines going on 10 years and still running strong.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

I used to have a four burner Kenmore and thought it was the best grill ever. Then I got a Weber Performer and the Kenmore was gone the next week. Even being charcoal it blew the gas Kenmore away in construction quality and evenness of the heat. If I could afford a Genesis I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

I worked for an outdoor kitchen company for a few years, and we made super high end grills (Think starting price of $15,000) and my money would go to a weber genesis in a second.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

I have the Smoke Hollow 4 in 1 grill. Gas, charcoal, smoke box, and searing grill. I love it because it allows for whatever kind of mood I'm in. All 4 functions work wonderfully. I suggest buying a quality cover and consistent cleaning. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Funny, I have been scouting these as well. I really like the feel of the Weber Genesis - and I don't need all the side burner crap...we got my mom a Ducane a while back - and it has been a great grill, anyone compare or have the 2?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conch Republican View Post
Funny, I have been scouting these as well. I really like the feel of the Weber Genesis - and I don't need all the side burner crap...we got my mom a Ducane a while back - and it has been a great grill, anyone compare or have the 2?
I had a Ducane years ago before my Weber gas grill and I loved it as well. When it finally died after many good years I wanted to replace it. But, Ducane as a product line was sold and I couldn't find many locally or even a good selection online. Maybe it was just me, but that kind of turned me to look elsewhere and I found the weber. I would say the quality of the workmanship and material was very comparable. Not so sure about now. I still see more Webers.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #15
Indy-hp
Just in from the Storm

Indy-hp is on a distinguished road

We have a KitchenAid branded grill made by Nexgrill Industries. So far, so good, but it is only two seasons old.

I've had good experiences with Weber tabletop charcoal and propane grills, so I'd probably get a Weber if the KitchenAid craps out.

A good friend has a Ducane and it is a very nice grill, but I don't know if he has had to replace any parts.
Indy-hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #16
Hammerhead

As much as the quality of the grill itself, I'm convinced that availability of replacement parts is key. Weber's product line is ubiquitous, so you can almost always find parts just about anywhere.

When I was at Lowe's the other day, one of the store reps gave me a 'pitch' on a Broil King, claiming they used to make the fire box for Weber, and that their components were of a higher quality - i.e. a heavier gauge of stainless on the burners, a smaller internal volume under the hood which meant more fuel efficiency and they had a better warranty.

As we were standing in front of the Genesis, I disabused her of the warranty issue by telling her Weber guarantees the large components for 25 years and the small parts had the same coverage as the Broil King, but I could at least get them anywhere if I needed them, a smaller internal volume means burners are closer to the food meaning more hot spots, but it also meant less room for a roast if I wanted a rotisserie. And then Ka-klannggg the door just fell off the Broil King. "Well," I said "Say what you might about the Broil Kings, but I don't see any Webers with missing doors.

Yep. Timing in life is everything. Weber for me.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #17
GoatLocker
Dr of Quantum Inebrionics

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Cohiba Navy (Active)
GoatLocker has disabled reputation

Weber Summit. I splurged a few years ago and bought the S-670. No doubt the Genesis will give you more bang for your buck, but I love the Summit. Add a Weber Smoky Mountain and you are set.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #18
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

So I finally found a number for Ducane (their website is awful) and now I know - Weber bought the Ducane name, and Ducane is no longer produced. That said - there are TONS of Ducane replacement parts (Home Depot, WalMart, Lowes and Amazon).

So I guess it will likely be a Genesis 3 series (I don't need the side burner crap) But Eric I will look for the Summit as well... Hammerhead - thanks for letting my hijack this thread
Old 07-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #19
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

My Weber is also a Summitt and like Eric I splurged. I love to grill and wanted the rotissiree and that was the only model that had that. It is huge and in retrospect I would have been just as happy with the Genesis model. Just measure and be sure you are comfortable with the size.

Also, I highly recommend looking at the natural gas models. I had that installed before I ordered my grill and love not having to deal with the tanks. some say there are differences in how it burns versus propane; I've never noticed anything. I love that feature.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Whatever Costco is selling.