Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #61
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wristwatch collectors out there?

All of the Bombay Trading Company's in my area (D.C., MD, DE and PA) have gone out of business too.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #62
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

I'd like to introduce two cool things to those who want to learn about them... the tourbillon and the minute repeater...

Tourbillon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj2Ia0KWxN0

WHAT IS A TOURBILLON
When it comes to time, accuracy is everything. Nobody’s going to take a watchmaker who can’t tick the talk. The gravity of the situation was not lost on the watchmakers of past who realised that the pull of Newton’s forces did have an effect on the performance of their timepieces. In the normal course of use, a watch goes through a variety of positions as your arm swings. This is great for the automatic movement. However, with the pocket watch, it tends to be kept in a vertical position, and we all know how gravity loves to play with that. The result is small changes to the accuracy of the timepiece.

In the beginning
Many may just brush it off as trivial, but others are bothered by it to the extent it’s more than dust in the eye. For instance, back in the 18th century, sailors’ lives depended on the accuracy of their ship’s deck watch or marine chronometer. Ingeniously, it was Abraham-Louis Breguet, ticked off enough about the fact that he was losing time this way, who decided to bridge the problem in 1795 by inventing the régulateur à tourbillon.

The tourbillon (whirlwind) device has the escapement parts in a mobile cage that rotates in one direction, driven by a fixed wheel. This eliminates the effects of gravity on the balance wheel movement, and restores accuracy to the timepiece.

Piece de resistence
The tourbillon, patented by Breguet in 1801, is one of those complications that many watch manufacturers strive to produce as a piece de resistance of their collection. Others wonder why they bother since it doesn’t seem to serve a practical purpose. The main reason for this dissenting perspective is the difficult nature of their creation and the resulting high cost. Extremely precise mechanical tolerances are called into play – not too much weight, nor friction, or the entire system could wind up just looking pretty on your wrist while you seek the time elsewhere.

Marrying art and craft was Constant Girard-Perregaux’s aim as he created the Tourbillon Sous Trois Points d’Or, in 1867. The three-bridge design he invented for his pocket chronometer has been copied since, eventually finding its way onto wrists in 1991.

Mechanical marvels
The difficulty of manufacturing chronometer tourbillons fostered more innovative thinking, and Bahne Bonniksen, a Danish immigrant to England, came up with the karrusel (derived from carrousel). Patented by him in 1892, the karrusel has a movement that rotates at a slower rate than the chronometer tourbillon, but is more robust.

In the 1920s, Alfred Helwig, the Glashutte master watchmaker, invented the flying tourbillon regulator, which is pivot mounted on one side with no supporting bridge.

The arrival of the wristwatch resulted in watchmakers trying to find ways of miniaturising this already complicated movement. In 1930, the tourbillon regulator made its appearance in a wristwatch. Not too many tourbillons are in existence, and the quartz oscillator put an end to these mechanical marvels in the late ’60s. But the rebirth of mechanical watches has seen several companies taking up the miniaturisation process all over again.

Creative Applications
F.P. Journe’s Souverain Tourbillon is one of the more creative applications, while Blancpain seems to focus intensively on using these technical marvels. Omega has a self-winding Central Tourbillon which is produced in limited quantities, and has the movement as the centrepiece, while Patek Philippe swings in the other direction with its Sky Moon Tourbillon which has 12 complications and uses both
sides of the watch.

Whether it’s just a case of one-upmanship or practicality, the tourbillon is still an integral part of watchmaking and still causing a whirlwind of activity.

and........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourbillon
Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #63
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

and the minute repeater....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cB8ftBRJGM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfhma...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9S89...eature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeater_(horology)

http://www.timezone.com/library/rdnotebook/200408292930
Old 09-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #64
ratpack

Just buy one of those little babies they had recently in CA. $32,000 for a watch! That's an everyday wear.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #65
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
I have the same one gifted to me by my friend's father
I need to find some friends like that. I thought I noticed the green bezel on your wrist in a picture posted not too long ago.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #66
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

After I hopefully complete the academy, I am going to buy this as a present

http://www.jorggray.com/jg6500nc-rose.html
Old 09-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #67
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
After I hopefully complete the academy, I am going to buy this as a present

http://www.jorggray.com/jg6500nc-rose.html
Nice Looking Watch! You Deserve It!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #68
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

Breitling ****, just picked it up.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:01 AM   #69
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

a couple more of my watches

Triumph 46mm, ETA movement

Michael Kors, MK8075

Old 10-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #70
Veritas
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Gregory
Trading: (1)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Veritas is on a distinguished road

I love watches, but my wallet won't support my habit. My current daily wear is a Tag Aquaracer. I get quite a bit of wear from my Luminox F-16 Series also. Others that spend more time in the box than on my wrist include a Movado Museum Series, a Tiffany, a titanium Seiko chronograph and several Tommy Bahama casuals. The only Rolex in the house is on the wife's wrist; they are too heavy for my taste.

I really like the looks of the Oris in Larry's post. Which collection is that from?
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #71
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Elrod View Post

I really like the looks of the Oris in Larry's post. Which collection is that from?
it's an Oris BC3 Big Crown. I bought it new for 450.00 40mm diameter

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #72
Veritas
Still Watching My Back

Thanks. I'm going to look for one of these when I get back to the States.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #73
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

I really like the look of this but I'm not so sure about the rubber band, I am a leather band kinda guy

http://www.amazon.com/Bulova-Marine-...=13GP37GAS9LPY
Old 10-12-2009, 02:44 AM   #74
Veritas
Still Watching My Back

I have three watches with rubber straps - a Tag, a Luminox, and a Lacoste GMT. I like them for different reasons than leather. I don't consider any of these to be dress watches. For that application, leather straps (or metal bracelets) are preferred. For day to day wear, I really like the rubber strap. In fact, I bought my Tag with a stainless bracelet and replaced that with the rubber strap.

I guess they aren't for everyone. I don't like the heavy weight of a Rolex while others do. That's why there are so many watches (like cigars) - so we can all have our favorites.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #75
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Not really a collector, but I do enjoy watches. I wear a Seiko "Pepsi Diver" and an Omega Constellation.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #76
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Elrod View Post
I don't like the heavy weight of a Rolex while others do.
I love heavy bulky watches. Although, there are some that are bulky withotu being heavy (titanium).
Old 10-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #77
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

I like heavy watches as well
Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #78
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

for those who like clunky-but-not-heavy....

try one fo these:

http://www.bernardwatch.com/Corum/Ad...on-48mm/COR267
Old 10-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #79
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Hate to say it, but this is a fake. Not a Brietling band, the main seconds hand has no Breitling B on the short end of it, bezel is defintely not a typical trademark Breitling style, the knobs are not trademark Breitling flairs, a number of other fake elements...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
Breitling ****, just picked it up.

TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #80
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Hate to say it, but this is a fake. Not a Brietling band, the main seconds hand has no Breitling B on the short end of it, bezel is defintely not a typical trademark Breitling style, the knobs are not trademark Breitling flairs, a number of other fake elements...
1. The bracelet (or band as you call it) is a ProII
2. I've never seen the "B" on the main seconds hand of a Breitling super avenger, Only Breitling for Bentley motors watches
3. BEZEL is the correct bezel.... for a Super avenger, are you thinking of the Breitling for bentley 6.75
4. The "knobs" as you called them are technicallly called "pushers" and they are legit, as is the whole watch
5. Please tell me the "number of other fake elements" as you put it.

would you like to see the 4,000 dollar proof of sale from the legit local authorized dealer i bought it from? would that convince you? or do you want to bust my balls some more?

you should do some research and get your facts straight before you tell me that my watch is fake.

Last edited by s15driftking; 10-14-2009 at 04:18 PM.
s15driftking is offline   Reply With Quote