Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
What did you think of the cinamon smoke?

Maybe you could've wrapped the pumpkin in foil? Sounded like a good idea. Maybe direct grilling would've been better? I have no experience in cooking pumpkin.
In this case, I don't honestly know if I could tell what the cinnamon smoke did for the food or not. This was an experimental cook and I'll have to try the cinnamon smoke with something I'm more familiar with and something that doesn't already have cinnamon in the rub.

I've cooked pumpkin before, but only as an indirect grilling w/ mesquite lump charcoal, and that has worked out well.

Yeah, foil is probably necessary for the smoker or a water pan, or both.

I had a few people sample the pumpkin, and everyone seems to have about the same thoughts that it probably wasn't a very good/flavorful pumpkin to start with.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #62
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

The cinamon is going to faint on the meat I think, but I love the smell of the smoke when it is burning. How much does 10 minutes of smoke on a 3 hour cook relate; maybe not much...

I like to take linguica from the store and put it on the smoker when I first start it up. It'll smoke the linguica enough in ten minutes to make it tast special without cooking it. Once the temps get about 150, I'll remove it
Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #63
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Last night, I made a 4.85 standing rib roast. I had two ribs and I think was 4-7 rib cut? Stop and Shop had them on sale for $4.99 an lb!

I cooked this in the WSM with nothing in the water pan. I think it is better for chicken and beef without water as it's too hard to get a crust on something that only cooks two hours with a water pan. The roast came out really good. Pulled it off at 125 degrees. I am not expert in choking the heat so much without water. I was worried it may go out, but with beef, it does not have to be in the smoke zone really. The same with chicken too.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:43 AM   #64
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Last night, I made a 4.85 standing rib roast. I had two ribs and I think was 4-7 rib cut? Stop and Shop had them on sale for $4.99 an lb!

I cooked this in the WSM with nothing in the water pan. I think it is better for chicken and beef without water as it's too hard to get a crust on something that only cooks two hours with a water pan. The roast came out really good. Pulled it off at 125 degrees. I am not expert in choking the heat so much without water. I was worried it may go out, but with beef, it does not have to be in the smoke zone really. The same with chicken too.
MMMMMmmm... beef!!! I love doing prime rib on the smoker. I usually sear them first on a hot grill and them throw then on the smoker.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #65
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I usually sear them first on a hot grill and them throw then on the smoker.
Do you use a water pan when smoking? If smoked with a dry pan, roasts get perfect crust never saw an advantage to searing first. My one attempt on a previous rib roast with the water pan, the crust never happened. It takes 4+ hours for the bark to form with a water pan.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #66
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Has anyone smoked a lamb shoulder?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #67
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Do you use a water pan when smoking? If smoked with a dry pan, roasts get perfect crust never saw an advantage to searing first. My one attempt on a previous rib roast with the water pan, the crust never happened. It takes 4+ hours for the bark to form with a water pan.
When I used my old water smoker, I usually pu playground sand in it. Very rarely was any liquid used.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #68
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I haven't used a water pan for years... Once I thought about the physics of it... you are using a lot of energy to keep that water steaming and it isn't going above 212 or so. The smokers I use are pretty tight so the environment should be plenty moist.

I just like really thick bark. I eat my steaks charred/rare if that gives you any idea
Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #69
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
When I used my old water smoker, I usually pu playground sand in it. Very rarely was any liquid used.
Going to the Cape next weekend and will get a bucket of sand. Been meaning to get some for a while.

I should be able to choke my smoker more without worry.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #70
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
I haven't used a water pan for years... Once I thought about the physics of it... you are using a lot of energy to keep that water steaming and it isn't going above 212 or so. The smokers I use are pretty tight so the environment should be plenty moist.

I just like really thick bark. I eat my steaks charred/rare if that gives you any idea
The water pan is acting like a choke on the heat to make it easier to keep it steady. My old offset smoker did not need a water pan at all. The fire was far enough way to keep lit ow, but not as tight as the WSM.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #71
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Scored a 4.61lb 7-bone chuck roast for $5.71 at Safeway the other day...

Going into the BBQ.

About 2 to 2-1/2 hours in, just prior to foiling

After cooking about another 2 hours in foil

(continued in next post)
Old 10-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #72
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

(continuing from previous post due to 5 image limit)

An effortless first tug...

This roast almost fell apart on it's own.

With a little bit of cheese, some chipotle salsa and ground fresh red jalapenos on a tortilla.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #73
Darrell

That looks good, Adam.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #74
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Chuck roasts are one of my absolute favorite things with which to grace my smoker!! The results are great eaten pulled... but like you did... it makes unreal Mexican style food.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #75
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Very nice Adam! I've got to try one of those!
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #76
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Scored a 4.61lb 7-bone chuck roast for $5.71 at Safeway the other day...
Wow, that looks good. What was your total cooking time? Both unfoiled and foiled?

I've wondered about doing chuck roasts on the smoker instead of the crock pot.

Next on my list is a lamb shoulder. There's a Paki place down the street from me that sells them (and goat) to everyone in Boston. $4.99 a pound.

Has any one done lamb shoulder or goat in the smoker?
Old 10-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #77
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Thanks all.

Quote:
Wow, that looks good. What was your total cooking time? Both unfoiled and foiled?

I've wondered about doing chuck roasts on the smoker instead of the crock pot.

Next on my list is a lamb shoulder. There's a Paki place down the street from me that sells them (and goat) to everyone in Boston. $4.99 a pound.

Thanks bro.

Cooking time was short - about 2 to 2.5 hours on the grate (until it hit 140 internal), followed by about 2 hours in foil (about 170-180 internal). Ran high heat, so about 300-325 the whole time.

I based it on some concepts in this thread:
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...5?r=4250080745
plus, about 8 hours before I tossed it on the smoker, I covered it with Worcestershire sauce and one of my rubs and sealed it back up in saran wrap and stuck it back in the refirigerator.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #78
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Quote:

I've done both. Well, actually I haven't done lamb because we cook full grown sheep. Goat is really good. The mutton (sheep) has a strong taste to it. Some people don't care for it. Those are the only two meats that I use a mop on. You probably don't have to, but I always do.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:39 AM   #79
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Quote:
What was your total cooking time? Both unfoiled and foiled?
A chuckie is the same cut as a pork butt and the times are about the same. I cook at lower temps (220 or so) and figure about 1 1/2 hours per pound. It will hold in a cooler for hours though so you want to give yourself plenty of time.

I cook to 170 internal, then foil until the internal is 195 - 200 and a probe goes in with little resistance.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #80
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
A chuckie is the same cut as a pork butt and the times are about the same. I cook at lower temps (220 or so) and figure about 1 1/2 hours per pound. It will hold in a cooler for hours though so you want to give yourself plenty of time.

I cook to 170 internal, then foil until the internal is 195 - 200 and a probe goes in with little resistance.
That would have been my preferred way of cooking it, but I was running short on time, so I gave the high heat cook a try, figuring "What the heck, if it doesn't work, I'm only out less than $6" and it worked. I figured that if I waited for the higher internal tempratures, at the higher cook tempratures, I'd end up with shoe leather.

Something else to note, I don't have a temprature probe at the grate level, I just have a simple aftermarket charbroil thermometer (about $8 at home depot) that I drilled a hole in the lid for and mounted about 2" off the grate surface, under the vent (a bit to the side of the lid hook - and just above it so that when I use the lid hook, I don't catch the thermometer tip). So I don't know exactly how much temprature difference there is from that point to where the meat is sitting.