Old 08-23-2018, 04:20 AM   #5181
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Care to share the pricing on the ton of pellets?
Maybe we can split a pallet?
Just bring my half when you drop off the Lang.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:41 AM   #5182
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Sure. Last time I split a 1-ton order with another person in August of 2016, each of us took 1000lbs of pellets, the costs came out at:
$9.90 per 40lb bag of standard pellets
$6.80 per 20lb bag of specialty pellets
$10/person group buy coordination fee

I believe they ship from Wisconsin. Shipping and delivery in our case worked out to $120/person to have it brought to a commercial location in Northern CA that had a forklift. Obviously transport distance plays a factor here. If you want to set it up to have everyone on the GB meet at the shipping depot, then you can cut the transport costs a bit more. If you want a residential address and/or having lift-gate service would increase the cost by some amount.

So yeah, I walked out of there with 1000 lbs (21 x 40#, 8 x 20#) delivered to a friend's brewery (he has a forklift) less than 2 miles from my house for $392. Which puts my averaged cost at a mere $15.68 per 40-lb bag.

If you want to collect the money, then everyone saves the $10 coordination fee.

They do partial pallets also, starting at quarter ton, although the cost per bag goes up. IIRC, when I looked into this on my first order in 2015, I think it 2/3 of a ton was the same cost as a full ton due to higher bag cost and lower transport at the time.

https://bbqpelletsonline.com/
Look under "Get Quotes" and they'll run the numbers for you.

If you don't have anyone to split with at the time and you want the bulk pricing of a larger order, just tell them and they will try and find people in your area to jump in on the order.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #5183
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

So, I'm thinking about going over to the dark side. I know several on here have and use Treagers, but it is unexplored territory for me as I am a stick-burner guy from way back. I need to replace the old gas grill, and was thinking about a pellet burner for the deck to give me some flexibility. How do these guys work for "grilling" steaks, burgers, chicken, etc.? I know they are pretty good at smoking/BBQing, but how long does it take them to get up to temp to sear a steak and how much fuel do they eat doing it? I guess I am looking for the pros and cons of picking one up.

Also, this would be on my wood deck. My gas grill I don't really worry about, but with a pellet burner, should I?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #5184
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
How do these guys work for "grilling" steaks, burgers, chicken, etc.?
Speaking about low-mid end units (which the Traeger falls under) only:

They suck at it. Good smoke ovens, **** grills.

If you get one that has a sliding diffuser over the firepot that allows direct fire to the grate, then it might be ok as long as you like cooking your food with a blowtorch.

Don't get me wrong, I have one. Burned probably a ton and half or more of pellets in it since I bought it 2 or 3 years ago. So much so that the controller is worn out, all the detents on the temp dial are shot. Does great for what it is, which is a smoke oven. Can't sear for ****all though.

I've been debating what I might buy to replace this unit when it dies, another pellet grill is not at the top of the list. Don't get me wrong, I love the convenience, but, I'm mixed overall on it's value.

Last edited by T.G; 10-13-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #5185
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Thanks Adam, that's kind of what I was thinking after seeing a couple of videos about them.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #5186
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Beer-marinated, smoked tri-tip.

After getting some smoke:

Reverse sear:

Ready to eat:
Old 10-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #5187
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
So, I'm thinking about going over to the dark side. I know several on here have and use Treagers, but it is unexplored territory for me as I am a stick-burner guy from way back. I need to replace the old gas grill, and was thinking about a pellet burner for the deck to give me some flexibility. How do these guys work for "grilling" steaks, burgers, chicken, etc.? I know they are pretty good at smoking/BBQing, but how long does it take them to get up to temp to sear a steak and how much fuel do they eat doing it? I guess I am looking for the pros and cons of picking one up.

Also, this would be on my wood deck. My gas grill I don't really worry about, but with a pellet burner, should I?

Thanks in advance.

Big Green Egg (ceramic cooker) or another gas grill if it's truly for quick grilling. About the only thin a BGE can't do is a quick start. Don't get me wrong I can cook on it faster than other charcoal grills for a couple reasons but not as fast as a gas grill.

But temp range? fugghedaboutit. 200 to over 1000 not a problem. Just watch them eyebrows when peeking at a pizze rolling at 900 degress.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #5188
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I love my Kamado Joe ceramic cooker — similar to the BGE. Like Jason said, not as fast on the start up as gas, but is excellent otherwise and no fussing with tanks

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:40 PM   #5189
ChicagoWhiteSox

Did a couple Boston butts in the last few months on the smoker. Will try to get some pictures posted
Old 06-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #5190
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

New grill grates for the Yoder Kick Tail!!! So pleased with the results of them and the 2 piece diffuser.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #5191
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Did a suckling pig on my old offset smoker yesterday. Was 18lbs. Seasoned the cavity and injected with apple juice missed with some more rub. Used a mix of maple and cherry. Ran the smoker around avg temp of 250° for 7.5 hours. Got the front shoulder to 186°, just shy of the 190 I wanted. But had to pull it, cause the other food we were cooking was done. Still pulled good. Was tender, juicy, delicious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8CB188E7-EB2C-49BF-BE96-ED7FAAF33777.jpg (24.5 KB, 321 views)
Old 09-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #5192
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

That skin looks incredible, Bob. Like, fvcking perfect....
Old 09-02-2019, 05:34 AM   #5193
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Was to be brisket go on today. Sadly somehow didn't get the fridge closed last night when I put it back after prep.

Woke up this morning to an internal temp of 52 deg. Spent all night above 40 then some.

Into the trash went a 10 lb prime brisket. Sad sad day.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:45 AM   #5194
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

That seriously blows Jason.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:42 AM   #5195
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Bummer, Jason. Hope Plan B is a good one.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #5196
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Serious bummer, Jason.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #5197
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Was to be brisket go on today. Sadly somehow didn't get the fridge closed last night when I put it back after prep.

Woke up this morning to an internal temp of 52 deg. Spent all night above 40 then some.

Into the trash went a 10 lb prime brisket. Sad sad day.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:11 AM   #5198
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

FWIW... was at Home Depot earlier and noticed they had Traeger Eastwood 22's model # TFB42DVB on clearance for $399. Originally $699. Knowing how Taeger is with their pricing, I wouldn't be surprised if this is under cost. Appears to be your average "Lil' Tex" sized grill (570 cu in range)

Last edited by T.G; 12-28-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #5199
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Here's the SKU - 34868 92065

Check your local store or call around if you're interested, that in-store clearance price is at least through NorCal right now, possibly nationwide. It is last generation's model (has a dial) so it's getting pushed out the door.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #5200
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Wife got me a kick Ash basket and can from Ceramic Grill Store for Christmas. Top to bottom of the egg is now aftermarket from CGS. Love their products, it's how the egg should come from factory.