Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 09-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #41
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lacto-Fermentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
That's brilliant. Near minimum sterilization temp for a long exposure time kill; won't change the texture. Why didn't I think of that...
Yep my thoughts too. I've yet to try it so I'll be interested in your results.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #42
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I've been fermenting some of my jalapenos in batches all summer with a bit of onion and garlic to make hot sauces. I just add a bit of vinegar to the blender when pureeing them.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #43
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I've been fermenting some of my jalapenos in batches all summer with a bit of onion and garlic to make hot sauces. I just add a bit of vinegar to the blender when pureeing them.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:42 PM   #44
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Finally got down to Eastern Market in Detroit to pick up some peppers for this years batch of hot sauce. Though I had missed the season, but there were plenty to be had. Bought over 7lbs of assorted peppers including Serrano, cayenne, cherry bombs. Stemmed, chopped, processed with 5% salt and 5% garlic. Filled a 2 gallon fermenting bucket about 2/3 the way. Added two barrel staves I won from Stearns (Ben) in last years auction. Plastic wrap on top of all that, and weighted down with a ziplock bag filled with water. Gonna let this go an easy 6 months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0094.JPG (92.8 KB, 664 views)
Old 10-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #45
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Sounds great Bob! Haven't done a run in a while, I still have way too many jars of different peppers fermented and waiting to be used
Old 02-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #46
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Checked my latest batch of hot sauce last night (a mix of orange bell, peron, orange habs, carrot, garlic, shallot, salt) to see how it’s doing. After a week the PH is down to ~4.1. Nice. I may let this only go a few more weeks before processing, after reading the first chapter in the book Ben sent me. See how it tastes without over fermenting.

Here’s a tip I picked up in a FB group on fermenting. After processing through my food mill, save and dehydrate the left overs for fermented chili flakes.

Also glad to check back in this thread. Seems my other batch is nearing the 4 month mark. Getting close.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #47
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Here’s a tip I picked up in a FB group on fermenting. After processing through my food mill, save and dehydrate the left overs for fermented chili flakes.
Highly recommend, I dehydrate in the oven at the lowest oven setting (I think mine is 170*) for many hours, probably 3-4 depending on how wet it was to start. I would use my dehydrator but I'm worried it will funk everything up for the next time I use it for fruit. The first time I did this was with some leftover pulp from a sauce run, it came out so good I took a full jar of some thai chiles I had fermented for no particular reason and dried them out completely then ground with a mortar and pestle, a pinch of that will make whatever I put in it a little tangy, just last week I put some in a roasted veggie dip and it brought it all together nicely
Old 06-05-2019, 07:51 PM   #48
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Not really lacto fermented, or maybe even fermented. Trying a recipe out of the Noma cookbook (thanks again Ben). I have a batch of garum started. It’s an old Roman recipe for fish sauce. Grind up some fish, guts and all. Mix in a bunch of salt and some water. Cover and put into a container, then wait. After a number of months, the fish breaks down and creates a fish sauce. Strain and use. It’s similar to Asian fish sauce. Used some silver bass from yesterday’s fishing trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3DE351D5-05C4-4D04-A562-41644E346022.jpg (22.6 KB, 648 views)

Last edited by Chainsaw13; 06-05-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Chainsaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:30 AM   #49
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Can't wait to see how that one turns out
Old 06-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #50
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Made a batch of this today.

https://timsfoodobsession.com/2018/0...ela-esplosiva/ (cool blog too)

Not so much lacto-ferment, but similar method. I used both hot/sweet Calabrian pepper powders, as I have them on hand. It’s HOT! Can’t wait till it’s ready to use.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #51
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Looks interesting, reminds me of hot pepper relish I used to put on subs growing up, I bet it's delicious
Old 06-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #52
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Looks interesting, reminds me of hot pepper relish I used to put on subs growing up, I bet it's delicious
That’s exactly what I was shooting for. It’ll be interesting to see how the flavors meld over the next couple of weeks. Initial taste, the artichoke was the most dominant.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #53
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

A month into my garum doing its thing. I moved it into my garage last week, to take advantage of the higher temps in there. In the one week, it's progressed a lot further than when in the basement. There's distinct layers as the autolysis does it's stuff.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:58 AM   #54
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Well crap. Took a peek at my pepper ferments. The red ferment I’ve had going for almost a year has green mold on it. Into the bin it goes.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #55
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Well crap. Took a peek at my pepper ferments. The red ferment I’ve had going for almost a year has green mold on it. Into the bin it goes.
Can't you just scoop out the mold from the top? Anything below the brine level should still be good.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #56
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Can't you just scoop out the mold from the top? Anything below the brine level should still be good.
I’ll have to take a closer look and see if it’s just on the brine.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #57
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Made a batch of this today.

https://timsfoodobsession.com/2018/0...ela-esplosiva/ (cool blog too)

Not so much lacto-ferment, but similar method. I used both hot/sweet Calabrian pepper powders, as I have them on hand. It’s HOT! Can’t wait till it’s ready to use.

Had a big bag of random peppers so I made two batches, a medium and a hot, based off this recipe, left out a few ingredients due to carelessness or just not having them.

Right now, 24 hours later, they are at that "new pickle stage" in the ferment, where they still taste like what they are, but with a little lacto sour going and are still kind of crunchy. I swear, being a fan of new pickles, I could eat a whole jar right now with a spoon.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #58
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I just used some Adam, on a grilled eggplant sandwich I made for dinner. Still spicy hot af, but rounding out the flavors after a few months nicely.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #59
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Cool. I never added extra pepper powder, didn't see the need with the pepper blend being roughly 1/2 red jalapenos, 1/4 habaneros, and 1/4 some other pepper that I think were either Italian Hots or really big cayenne peppers. Be interesting to see how much the heat drops, if any, without the concentrated powder.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #60
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Started a new batch of red pepper hot sauce. A mix of red Anaheim and red lantern peppers, about 3300g in total. Another 200g of garlic and 4% salt. Hopefully this one doesn’t go bad like the last.