Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Banking fees question

My bank recently told me that unless I kept a $1500 balance in my checking account, they would charge me $12 a month as a fee. My first thought was to tell them to go to Hades, but I was wondering how common these fees are. If I seek to find a bank with free checking, will I run into the same type of fee structure?

TIA!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Banking fees question

I have never had to maintain a certain balance in an account to not incur a fee. Is this a sort of interest bearing account? Those are typically the only accounts I know of that would have a minimum balance fee.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

They're common but not universal, Hugh. It wouldn't surprise me if you're with BoA. A lot of bank waive the fees based on number of online transactions, etc.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

It's common on interest bearing and business account checking. Most every bank here in FL has a free checking service they provide. It's truly free from fees and the min. balance is either zero or like $5. Just call your bank up and ask them to switch you to their free checking. If they don't offer one, there are plenty other banks that do.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

I use a credit union. There are no fees accept for using foreign ATMs. Also, I'm pretty sure they only require something like $1 (or $100 I forget) to keep the account active.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
It's common on interest bearing and business account checking. Most every bank here in FL has a free checking service they provide. It's truly free from fees and the min. balance is either zero or like $5. Just call your bank up and ask them to switch you to their free checking. If they don't offer one, there are plenty other banks that do.
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Hugh, I've found that you just need to shop around. Some account plans require a minimum balance and/or direct deposit to have fees waived, some require certain activity levels or don't pay interest, but are free otherwise with no minimum balance. Some require you to maintain a balance in a savings account, but checking can be any balance. Try the smaller, local area banks and credit unions, they tend to offer more services / less fees than the bigger banks.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

It is a buyers market. You can (and should, at least occasionally) look around to see how good a deal your bank it for you. If you find a better deal, go in and talk to an account manager. Explain why you would like to stay and how the better deal is tempting you away. When it comes to fees, some can be waived (new banking regulations may alter that).

A friend of mine has had interest free credit cards for years because she flatly states that if they don't waive all interest that she will move her account to another place.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I'd switch banks. There are many banks that don't follow this practice. I use a credit union, which doesn't have any fees unless my account is in the red.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Thanks, guys! This is Chase, it is not a business account, there is no interest attached to the balance. It was free when I opened it a few years back, in Dec they sent me the letter stating that starting in Feb they would charge the $12. I use it only to do online stuff, I have never written a check. I'll talk to a rep there and see what they can do for me. I'd like to keep it since my other stuff is also with Chase and I can easily transfer funds between accounts and the like- but not for $12 a month-- a $1500 balance would be very hard to maintain at this point in this account.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Most banks, or credit unions at least, will give free checking as long as you have direct deposit into the account.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
mpd340

I have several accounts at a traditional brick and mortar bank along with an account online through Ally. Neither requires a minimum balance and does not charge any fees other than the normal overdraft fees.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

I currently have Chase and as long as I use direct deposit, I have no fees.
I deposit a few bucks into my wifes account so she won't have fees either.
I haven't received such a letter from them yet.
I switched from CitiBank because they sent me the same letter last year.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Thanks, guys! This is Chase, it is not a business account, there is no interest attached to the balance. It was free when I opened it a few years back, in Dec they sent me the letter stating that starting in Feb they would charge the $12. I use it only to do online stuff, I have never written a check. I'll talk to a rep there and see what they can do for me. I'd like to keep it since my other stuff is also with Chase and I can easily transfer funds between accounts and the like- but not for $12 a month-- a $1500 balance would be very hard to maintain at this point in this account.
I know a bunch of people who are closing their Chase accounts because of that new policy. A number of them are employees of Chase too.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I worked for a small regional bank for over 2 years. I never had an account there. They had little to no ATMs, and were fee happy. They were bought out about a year after I left.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I know a bunch of people who are closing their Chase accounts because of that new policy. A number of them are employees of Chase too.
Good. Chase will eventually figure it out (maybe). They don't really make their profit off of the little man, but if enough pull their accounts, then it may make a difference.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #17
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Go with a local bank if at all possible. I would no more bank with a national bank than cut me leg off!!! Well actually, not, but if there was a local option I would go with it.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #18
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

I'm switching to my credit union because of their new policy...
Old 01-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #19
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

You have to remember that banks are now subjected to new laws that limits the means in which they can make money off of their customers. I think a lot of speculation is that doing so would then be made up over the long haul by having fee based accounts for everything and would eventually offer nothing for "free".
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #20
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
You have to remember that banks are now subjected to new laws that limits the means in which they can make money off of their customers. I think a lot of speculation is that doing so would then be made up over the long haul by having fee based accounts for everything and would eventually offer nothing for "free".
Which will send people in droves to Credit Unions.