Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 07-16-2023, 05:13 AM   #3381
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Opened the 4R yesterday. Damn that’s good stuff. Didn’t even give it time to breathe. This bottle should only get better.

Went over my friends house. Tried the Woodford Double Oak and Russell’s 6 year Rye he has. Well, there’s two more bottles to add to my list.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:37 AM   #3382
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I have never tried the WT Rare Breed, often tempted when I see it. Soon....

Cracked one of my older Booker's (Center Cut) last night. Delicious.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:44 AM   #3383
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
What’s everyone’s thoughts on WT Rarebreed?
I'm a big fan, I didn't like the rye as much but rare breed bourbon has been great for a higher proof blend with some nice aged components. I've been going gobbles for wild turkey in general this year because some of the stuff they're putting out has been amazing, although they're riding the SRP train to the top with lots of $300+ priced releases coming out
Old 07-17-2023, 03:44 PM   #3384
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
I'm a big fan, I didn't like the rye as much but rare breed bourbon has been great for a higher proof blend with some nice aged components. I've been going gobbles for wild turkey in general this year because some of the stuff they're putting out has been amazing, although they're riding the SRP train to the top with lots of $300+ priced releases coming out
Just enjoyed a bottle of Rare Breed last week while on vacation. That and OF 1920 were the most interesting things I found at the couple local stores around where we were staying. If you like 101, rare breed is even better.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:24 PM   #3385
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

So decided to go hunting in Toledo, Ohio. There’s a website you can look to see what’s in stock at some of the stores. Found one that “showed” it had Booker’s. Tried calling a few times but their line was being worked on. Long story short, they didn’t have any. But I did get some BT bourbon cream, JTS Brown for mixing, Michter SB, Penelope 4 grain barrel strength, Smoke Wagon Small Batch, and a Benchmark SB. Yea, way more than I needed.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:46 AM   #3386
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Bob has got the fever!

And I've got the Colonel.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 07-18-2023, 09:24 AM   #3387
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Yea, I had a feeling I was coming home with something. The Penelope and Smoke Wagon we can’t get her in Michigan. Figured that would be a nice consolation.

Correction on the one bottle, it’s a Michters Small Batch.
Old 07-18-2023, 01:54 PM   #3388
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

They're both on the shelves all the time near me, Bob. If one really grabs you and you need more down the line, let me know.

Old 07-18-2023, 02:04 PM   #3389
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Ooo this is a fun game. Bob let me know if you want me to ship in anything from CO too, let's put a little grease on that slope

Old 07-18-2023, 06:00 PM   #3390
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Thanks Ben, but my wallet is tapped out after yesterdays haul.

Old 07-18-2023, 06:19 PM   #3391
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Ok, this Penelope is really good. The nose makes you think it’s going to be sweet; caramel, maple syrup. You get those flavors initially on the palate, but then it turns spicy. Very much cinnamon, the barrel char. Settles with a nice warmth in the back of the throat.

Oh, this is batch 13. (My lucky number)
Old 07-19-2023, 08:14 AM   #3392
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Glad you like the Penelope, Bob.

Had me a little 125 proof 1792 last night. I may or may not have had a couple other high proof pours and didn't take pictures so you wouldn't think I'm a lush.

Old 07-22-2023, 08:16 PM   #3393
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Ok, what do you all do if you get a bottle you end up not liking? Trying the MM store pick, the one with the different stave finishes. It’s not my cup of tea. I think they used too many of the French Meridiant (5 of the ten). The nose is really good, like maple syrup. But it doesn’t carry over to the taste.
Old 07-23-2023, 05:46 AM   #3394
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Ok, what do you all do if you get a bottle you end up not liking? Trying the MM store pick, the one with the different stave finishes. It’s not my cup of tea. I think they used too many of the French Meridiant (5 of the ten). The nose is really good, like maple syrup. But it doesn’t carry over to the taste.
Cup of tea? I thought this was The Bourbon Thread?

Reckon you could pour this bottle down the sink. Or, save it for serving to guests you're not overly crazy about. Or, use it for experimenting with cocktail recipes? You aren't one of those folks who think that mixed drinks are beneath consuming, right?
Old 07-23-2023, 06:06 AM   #3395
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Stir some into some BBQ sauce.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:52 AM   #3396
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I’m not above mixing it into cocktails. Love me a good old fashioned. And the bbq sauce idea sounds good too.

It’s odd. I really like the MM French oaked bottle I have.
Old 07-23-2023, 11:51 AM   #3397
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Oh yea, Ben, the one store I went to in Toledo had six of the Woodenville Moscatel on the shelf.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:00 AM   #3398
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Old Fashioneds, I killed off a whole bottle of Old Tub like that and it made it palatable

Quote:
Oh yea, Ben, the one store I went to in Toledo had six of the Woodenville Moscatel on the shelf.
Very cool, they must have expanded production. I have friend near the distillery in WA so I usually get stuff from him when the distillery has special releases, he did one last week where you could fill bottles from a special barrel and buy to take home which he said was awesome but I'm drastically cutting down on buying so I had to pass
Old 07-24-2023, 08:25 AM   #3399
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I've only actually drain poured a couple of bottles. I've given open bottles away, or a couple still sit there looking for a guest to point them out.

Lots of choices this weekend....I even liked a finished one!

and killed off one of Mike's bottles......

Old 07-27-2023, 11:03 AM   #3400
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Was out running errands so I stopped by a few stores to see if there’s anything new worth picking up. Was also looking for RD One Amburana finished bourbon. Saw a review about it that looks like it’d be up my alley. Seems other people saw the same video, as the shelves were empty.

The one bigger store by me had a few of the Orphan Barrel bottles. $300. Umm, yea, no.