Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 05:20 AM   #1
DEZn00ts
What? I didn't catch that

First Name: Xavier
Trading: (0)
DEZn00ts is on a distinguished road
Default Not getting My Humidity Beads For A Week.

So I already ordered them today, I won't be getting them till Thursday and I've had my cigars in the freezer since Monday. Do you guys think I should leave my cigars in the freezer or should I rig my coolidor (like I was doing before) to stay at 70 for a few days? I would periodically put a sponge in there to raise the humidity then take it out when it was at desired humidity.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Not getting My Humidity Beads For A Week.

Do you have any wood in the cooler? If not, don’t worry so much about the RH. Coolers hold humidity very well. The cigars will bring some humidity with them and you can always add more. Depending upon your location, it’s generally harder to lower RH than it is to raise it.

If you have wood (shelves, boxes, etc.) in the cooler, then that’s a different story — the wood needs to be seasoned (lots of threads here on the topic) before putting your cigars in the cooler.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:37 AM   #3
DEZn00ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Do you have any wood in the cooler? If not, don’t worry so much about the RH. Coolers hold humidity very well. The cigars will bring some humidity with them and you can always add more. Depending upon your location, it’s generally harder to lower RH than it is to raise it.

If you have wood (shelves, boxes, etc.) in the cooler, then that’s a different story — the wood needs to be seasoned (lots of threads here on the topic) before putting your cigars in the cooler.
No I don't have any wood but the humidity here in NW Indiana is pretty good but can fluctuate on any given day from 47 to 55. That's outside of the coolidor but inside it's usually above 60 for sure. If I put the sponge in there for a couple hours it will raise the humidity to anywhere from 72-85 but when that happens I usually take it out and let the Humidity drop. It will easily drop from that high 84-85 to 74 within an hour or two and steadily lower to 70-72 and keep that humidity for a good 2 days without dropping. The seal on the coolidor is excellent. Also, when do you think I should put the cigars in the coolidor since they already been in the freezer since Monday?
Old 05-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Unless you plan on smoking any of your cigars from now until your beads arrive, just leave me in the freezer. It won't hurt them.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:28 PM   #5
dvickery
Team of 1

First Name: derrek
dvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura about

If it’s a week ... you can just leave them on the counter ... if you think about it most cigars are in transit more than a week .

Also ... you can smoke a cigar right out of the freezer ... I have done so .

Cigars are not the little princess’ we sometimes think they are ... stop fretting about storage so much and start smoking .

Derrek
Old 05-19-2018, 04:24 AM   #6
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Coolers are kind of funny in that they wont hold humidity unless you leave them sealed. That is until stock them. If you cigars have been frozen, take them out to start the move back to room temp. Once they are close to room temp put them in the cooler. They will bring some humidity with them and help maintain a steady humidity level. Wood shelves of some cedar planks although they will need seasoned will do much the same once seasoned to maintaining humidity.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

You could put them in some gallon size ziploc bags. I’ve kept cigars in a hotel room for long periods that way.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #8
Havanaaddict
Man in Black!!!

Trading: (1)
Havanaaddict will become famous soon enoughHavanaaddict will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvickery View Post
if it’s a week ... You can just leave them on the counter ... If you think about it most cigars are in transit more than a week .

Also ... You can smoke a cigar right out of the freezer ... I have done so .

Cigars are not the little princess’ we sometimes think they are ... Stop fretting about storage so much and start smoking .

Derrek
"THIS" Really I would throw them in a gallon bag and put them in the cooler!!!
Old 05-19-2018, 11:33 PM   #9
DEZn00ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Unless you plan on smoking any of your cigars from now until your beads arrive, just leave me in the freezer. It won't hurt them.
Yea I'll just take them out on Tuesday and put them on the counter for an hour or two then put them in the cooler.