LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation
Default Deep Fried Turkey

Hey there CA fam!!!

I just bought one of those Masterbuilt Butterball indoor turkey fryers (the X-Large one) so that I can finally have some deep fried turkey for Thanksgiving. Always wanted to try it but never got around to getting an indoor one. Now that has all changed!

I went to Costco today and bought a huge box of Peanut Oil and a couple of turkeys. I want to give it a trial run this weekend so that I know what I'm doing before Thanksgiving rolls around.

Any tips/suggestions/pics of previous efforts you'd care to share with a turkey frying noob? I was thinking of injecting some marinade and doing a dry rub but haven't decided on specifics yet. Feel free to shoot me some ideas.

Thanks everybody!
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Deep Fried Turkey

Best turkey ever. I honestly got away from it because of the cost of the peanut oil because I only used it once a year. I guess if I used it to do fish fries or make turkeys more often, I could have a greater appreciation to have kept it around. I now use the Char Broiler Big Easy for the "oil less infrared turkey fryer" method.

I've used this brand of marinade and had good results: http://www.cajuninjector.com/cajun-fried-turkey.html I'm pretty sure it was the creole butter I liked.

The way I made it at first was from listening to the local FM guys (now syndicated nationwide) talk about how great it was: http://archive.bobandtom.com/frames/fried_turkey.htm
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

Test fill the frier with the turkey with water 1st to get a mark of how much oil u need
Old 11-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Make DAM sure the turkey is COMPLETELY thawed....ice and hot oil don't play well together.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Wow. Indoor trukey frying. That scares me thinking of it from a safety perspective. For my outside rig, it is very, very important to put the right amount of oil in there so that it doesn't boil over and that's what causes the fires. They recommend you test the exact turkey in water to get the perfect level to put your oil. Just make sure your turkey is really dry before you drop it in hot oil. I love, love deep fried turkey. It's the best I've ever eaten.

Agree that I've cut back alot because peanut oil is outrageously expensive and I don't re-use mine. Pain in the arse to strain, clean and store. Did that one time and it sat in my basement fridge for a year before I finally threw it out. Good luck. Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Make sure your turkey is completely thawed and dry.
Put the turkey in the empty (cold) fryer.
Pour enough oil to cover the turkey and a bit extra.
Pull the turkey out, set it in a pan.
Now heat your oil up and when hot, add the turkey to fry. This helps to keep you from overflowing the oil and burning your house down.

Best deep fried turkey I had was one where someone took a giant food service size can of jalapenos in escabeche, and used an injector to suck all the vinegar-oil brine up and inject throughout the turkey. This tenderized, flavored and moisturized the meat.

Plus we got to snack on the jalapenos while we were waiting.

I've found that commercial injector marinades tend to be jars of chemical ****, and they taste appropriately. Plus the leftover meat seems to develop a funky texture when it cools.

I think a dry rub would just burn up in the fryer and contaminate the oil.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Tyr, good advice so far. I will add one thing. I have a rub that is fantastic! It has a little pepper bite to it and it's the perfect balance of flavors. You rub the bird one day, put in the frig over night and that allows it to sit and soak. Once fried, the skin will be crispy and the rub flavor will damn near make you eat the whole bird. The rub sort of soaks in and melds to the skin, so there is never any burning of the spices. We've done dozens of birds and I always come back to this turkey rub. I'll post the recipe once I get home. I use it on chicken, also.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

My favorite injectable marinade is the cajun butter

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I've had turkey a lot of ways, Deep fried is awesome. Not as good as a Salt Dome turkey, but it's a very close second.

And I second want T.G said, always fill the fryer with the turkey in already. Grease fires are no joking matter.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I've had turkey a lot of ways, Deep fried is awesome. Not as good as a Salt Dome turkey, but it's a very close second.

And I second want T.G said, always fill the fryer with the turkey in already. Grease fires are no joking matter.
What rub/marinade/injection have you used that you recommend?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 363 View Post
Test fill the frier with the turkey with water 1st to get a mark of how much oil u need
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Tyr,

I just looked back at your post and realized you are using an electric fryer, so some additional operational comments:

-If you can, cook it outdoors. I know it's an "indoor fryer", but they still smell and if you have a boil over, it's much easier to clean up (and god forbid, extinguish) if it's outside.
-when you plug it in, you ideally want to put it on a circuit that is completely unloaded (no other equipment or appliances plugged in), these things draw a lot of juice.
-Try to avoid using an extension cord. If you must, use very short, large gauge cord. Like 20+ amp rated, 10-12 gauge, 20' or less. Don't even think about 14-16 GA or long cords.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough

This thread interests me, I shall be following extensively. Never had a deep fried turkey, must be amazing -- May take the risk.
iaMkcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Here's the turkey rub. It's awesome on chicken, too. I sent some to Svillekid as bird rub. You can leave out the crushed red pepper if you'd like.

This recipe makes enough for 4 turkeys! Make and split up in bags.

1 box salt
2 oz chili powder
2 oz black pepper
2 oz crushed red pepper
2 oz garlic powder
2 oz Accent

Rub on thawed turkey 24 hours prior to cooking. Refrigerate.

Cooking outdoors:

Pre-measure the amount of oil to start heating (see postings above). Use a large pot with thermometer clipped on side. Heat oil to 250F. Submerse pat-dried turkey slowly. Keep at 250F. Cook 5 minutes per pound. ENJOY!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough

What is the ounces on the "1 box salt"? I can tell you right now, if I put my box of salt in that recipe, I'll be in the hospital.
iaMkcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #16
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
What rub/marinade/injection have you used that you recommend?
None. Just turkey deep fried. A marinade is never required for anything, turkey is a great meat just by itself. Especially when fired.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:14 AM   #17
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
Make DAM sure the turkey is COMPLETELY thawed....ice and hot oil don't play well together.

+1
Old 11-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #18
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

I use creole butter in the injector and Tony Cacheres as a rub on the outside of the bird.
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #19
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswol2 View Post
I use creole butter in the injector and Tony Cacheres as a rub on the outside of the bird.
Creole butter sounds delicious.

Recipe?
Old 11-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Oh mylanta! So many great tips and recipes. Thank you everyone!!!! I had heard about the issues surrounding the oil/water in the bird thing but thank you for the overflow testing method guys. That will be invaluable. I'll be preparing the rub today and will post pictures as well when I cook the turkey. I'm damned excited you guys. I even want to try deep frying a pork butt and see how that turns out
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote