Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Xbox - Red Ring of Death

Anyone had an issue w/ this on their 360? I got the red ring two weeks ago, and then last night it completely stopped working - my warranty ended 5 months ago. Xbox wants $99 to fix it.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
WhoDeySchenk
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (2)
WhoDeySchenk has a spectacular aura aboutWhoDeySchenk has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Xbox - Red Ring of Death

been there...3 times to be exact. Each time has been during warranty time so I've never had to pay. Look up on Ebay, there are kits you can buy with detailed instructions on how to fix it. Pretty basic, the processor gets too hot over time and comes loose off the motherboard, pretty much just swapping out some washers, etc. My friend fixed his after buying a kit, said it took him an hour or so. Been working for 2 years after, still going strong. Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I have one that's done the same thing. I found the fix for it on the web, but haven't had time to mess with it. Iirc, it has to do with a bad clip that holds a heatsink, allowing a chip to overheat.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
Hippi3Slay3r
ಥ_ಥ

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (22)
Bolivar
Hippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enoughHippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enough

Friend had the same issue and fixed it after watching a video on youtube. If I remember correctly it involved replacing factory heat sinks with pennys /shrug
Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Happened to mine a few years back. Now it sits in the closet waiting to make the trip to the rifle range for it's proper destruction. Sad thing is that I hardly used the darn thing. What a waste of $ that was.....
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Was this the old model or the newer one?

My buddy had an OG 360 and sent it back to MSFT 2 or 3 times to fix. It finally crapped out on him and he bought the newer model. Try to fix it yourself and if that doesn't do the trick, put the $99 toward a new one.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
OHRD

So y'all would invest the $99 in a new one, instead of repairing this one? It was bought in Sept of '07. I don't want to send it off, pay, and then have it screw up again. ucla695 - not sure if it's old or new 360.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

I would definately spend the $99 towards the newer version.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on to your hard drive if you buy another one. You can probably find an old, working, hard drive-less xbox at ebay for under $99 shipped.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Hang on to your hard drive if you buy another one. You can probably find an old, working, hard drive-less xbox at ebay for under $99 shipped.
If you go this route, you may as well also try fixing it yourself before giving up. It can't hurt if you're going to scrap it anyway.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
rebelknight
Feeling at Home

First Name: John
Trading: (1)
rebelknight will become famous soon enough

Happened to me twice now. First time they fixed it for free. Second time I just paid the $99 but I'm glad I know about a cheaper fix now. Thanks
rebelknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

This happened to me when I 1st got a 360. I had bought the extended warranty from best buy so they just gave me a gift card and I got a PS3 and never looked back.
It sucks that you spend all that money for something that keeps breaking down.
I have never had any problems with any Playstation I ever owned!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Happened to me last fall. They sent me a new one no questions asked.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
So y'all would invest the $99 in a new one, instead of repairing this one? It was bought in Sept of '07. I don't want to send it off, pay, and then have it screw up again. ucla695 - not sure if it's old or new 360.
That's the older model. MSFT redesigned the new ones and the RROD shouldn't be a problem. ymmv.

I had the old model PS3 and got the yellow light of death. Instead of repairing it, I put the money toward the PS3 slim and save myself the trouble. I also bought the warranty from Best Buy for peace of mind.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #15
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

I bought a refurb from Gamestop when my niece's went to crap. It was $100 and when I bought it, it came with a free 2 year service plan.

She just plugged her HD in and it worked without a problem...

I have had mine repaired twice. First time they sent me a new one and the second they sent me a refurb. Hopefully, this one will last a while.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
OHRD

What a mess, I can't believe so many people have had problems. $300...
Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

There is the Penny, or Copper trick. Assuming you are slightly mechanically inclined. Buy a small heatsink, and some thermal grease.

You can also check craigslist. There are people/pc repair places fixing it for cheaper, and no wait on shipping it out.
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
Biglizard1
LLG turned CAI

First Name: David
Trading: (8)
Montecristo
Biglizard1 is on a distinguished road

ive had mine for 4 uears no RROD. ymmv did find that my hardrive will not work with the newer version of 360 however
Biglizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #19
liltim
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chris
Trading: (1)
Partagas MarineCorps (Disabled Vet)
liltim is on a distinguished road

I've been through 3 myself since 2006. Even the Elite I bought went back. Luckily Bill Gates though some money down to fix them all. As far as I know the warranty was extended to like 3 years or something but this may not be the case for any of the newer 360s. $99 bucks is way too much besides those guys will take your money and then make you wait forever to get your new xbox. They don't even send you the same one either, you get a refurbished xbox that will break again.
liltim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #20
staminator

So many of my friends started having this problem. That is exactly why I purchased a PS3 instead. You might want to look into PlayStation, unless you are terribly invested in Xbox Live. At the same time, though, online gaming on PS3 is...FREE.