Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 06-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #21
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How Do You Grill Your Burgers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Anyone grind their own? I've done it a few times, especially if there's a really good sale on something like Black Angus. Nothng like taking meat right out of the grinder and slapping a few patties on the grll.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know this sounds crazy... or at least it did to me... but ground brisket makes killer ground beef. The burgers are killer beefy tasting.

My partner on the BBQ team told me about and I kept blowing him off. Finally he brought me a bag of it and I was sold. I don't do it all of the time 'cause laziness sets in, but when you can get Angus brisket at Sam's for about $1.80 a pound it makes a lot of sense.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #22
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I know this sounds crazy... or at least it did to me... but ground brisket makes killer ground beef. The burgers are killer beefy tasting.
I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for the tip, Brent!
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #23
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Hellz yeah! Brisket makes THE best burgers!

Some people do find them to be too rich though.

For plain old burgers, Weber Gourmet Burger Rub does a great job of seasoning. I was skeptical when someone told me about how good the stuff was, but he was right. You can take just plain old nothing special USDA Select (3rd grade) 80% ground beef which normally is pretty bland and dump some of the Weber Gourmet Burger Rub on it, or even better, mix a little bit in when you're packing the patties, and even over gas, the burgers come out highly flavorful.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #24
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for the tip, Brent!
Posted via Mobile Device
Just cut out the hard yellow fat between the flat and the point. That crap is nasty!!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #25
fissure
DHC Black Ops

First Name: Steve
Trading: (48)
Partagas
fissure has disabled reputation

Buffalo or venison burgers for me. Haven't cooked a real burger in years. Cook them sraight up, once and a while with a little Montreal steak seasoning. Super hot sear, 1 min each side, then indirect for another 6-8 min flipping once. No fat content at all so you can't overcook them.
fissure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #26
Azlooker

hmm...first I take a little tinder, get a little fire going, add some apple or pecan wood, fire it up until the coals are nice and red, mix some ground sirloin with lipton onion soup mix, a little water, spread em' out nice and large, let them cook for about 7-8 minutes a side, add some swiss cheese and marinated mushrooms, pinch of salt and pepper, little mayo and tomato and plain white and very soft bread......yummm! LOL!
Old 06-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #27
nomadicwookie
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
nomadicwookie is on a distinguished road

It's a little different every time, but here goes: Lea & Perrins worcester, montreal steak seasoning & a splash of hot sauce are the staples. Then either diced scallions, dried scallions or onion powder, sometimes italian seasoning, either fresh garlic or garlic powder.
nomadicwookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #28
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

On a grill

aj
Old 06-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #29
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough

I get some pre made 1/3lb patties from my local butcher and season them with a secret mixture of Brown and White Sugar, salt, pepper, cinnamon, ginger and garlic powder.

They are always juicy and never dissappoint
Old 06-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #30
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir13 View Post
I get some pre made 1/3lb patties from my local butcher and season them with a secret mixture of Brown and White Sugar, salt, pepper, cinnamon, ginger and garlic powder.
Interesting. Bet they caramelize nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #31
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Interesting. Bet they caramelize nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
They do, and it adds a nice flavor to the burgers as well.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #32
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
Mince some onions and mix it in with the meat to form patties
I do this too.

Quote:
thumbprint in middle
I'll have to do that next time. Mine always end up fat. We normally use 90/10, so they don't shrink too much.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #33
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Anyone grind their own? I've done it a few times, especially if there's a really good sale on something like Black Angus. size]
I was really ready to do it, excited would be the accurate term. My mother asked me if I
wanted her old meat grinder, and I said HELL YEAH.
Then she brings it to me, or rather I went to her and got it, but she pulls it out and it has
50 attachments BUT is missing the thing that secures the various output holes TO THE GRINDER.
So it is actually a 12 pound pile of useless crap. She is still looking for the ring.
My burgers are simple, take whatever the store throws into the RFQS bin and freeze it for a rainy day.
I take the meat and flatten it out somewhat to achieve a burger thick square. I then
liberally sprinkle that flat with rub, then salt to preference, then add a few tablespoons of
unflavored dry oatmeal as a delicious and nutritious binder. Works like a CHAMP and so much
better than bread. Mix completely but gently and form into large patties. I try to form them
to where there are no breaks in the edges, nice round edges, because this is where your juice
likes to get out. But it needs to be a careful blend of forming and getting it done, cause
overworking ground meat is a disaster. It gets way too hard and tough. I throughly brown
one side before turning, then do the other, but if the burgers do not get fully cooked on just one flip
I flip frequently once both sides are charred to ensure a proper done-ness. It would also be helpful
to impart the best wisdom I got in cooking school.
When turning burgers, ALWAYS use your spatula UPSIDE DOWN. You will see why when you DO IT.
And I mean when when peeling them off the grates. You can flip em all day with the spatula held normally.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #34
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
..then add a few tablespoons of unflavored dry oatmeal as a delicious and nutritious binder. Works like a CHAMP and so much better than bread.
I'll have to give this a try.
Quote:
When turning burgers, ALWAYS use your spatula UPSIDE DOWN. [/b] You will see why when you DO IT.
And I mean when when peeling them off the grates. You can flip em all day with the spatula held normally.
To help wth sticking? Whenever I've had problems with burgers sticking to the grill, it's because I got impatient and tried to flip them too soon. It's like frying fish: it will stick, then release once the outer layers cook through.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #35
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

I select a chuck roast a bit on the fatty side and get them to grind it right in front of my eyes. Make some loose patties then season up with some Louzianne Cajun Seasoning then cover one side with the sauce bb'q of choice and place that side up on hot grill. Give it a few minutes and flip it adding sauce bb'q to the new side up. After a few minutes put cheese of choice (and sometimes some grilled bacon and/or mushrooms) on top and melt. Enjoy!

Note: I have found that frozen meat does not work well at all for hamburger patties.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #36
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Make some loose patties then season up with some Louzianne Cajun Seasoning....
HAH! Someone else figured it out! I like Tony Chachere's cause he is a friend, but Luzianne is THE BEST. SOMEHOW they got the blend PERFECT!
I don't know what makes their's different, but MAN they have got it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Note: I have found that frozen meat does not work well at all for hamburger patties.
Point taken, and I think you are right for the most part. Also I think above here the OP said
that if you let the exterior cook through, the burger will not stick. Not sure if it is necessarily so,
but I KNOW they stick much worse if you don't let them crust over.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #37
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

No real science or gourmet for me. I use ground chuck, salt , pepper and usually Lawry's or Adobo seasoning. Patty them up and on the gas grill at around 350-400 for 4-6 minutes.

Always remembering the phrase "if you're lookin' you ain't cookin' "
Old 06-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #38
OLS
Suck It

Dammit, now I am all hyped up for some burgers this weekend. I am gonna hit the reduced rack tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #39
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I've never heard of the thumbprint trick. Is there a method to determine how deep to have it in relation to the patty?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #40
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I've never heard of the thumbprint trick. Is there a method to determine how deep to have it in relation to the patty?
A little less than half the thickness of the patty should be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device