Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Getting a Sixtel of Beer for a Party?

I am considering getting a sixtel of nice beer from the local shop for a party in September. However, my experiences with kegs many years ago were not so good. Going back 20+ years it was not uncommon to get cups full of foam, poor dispensing from the nozzle, etc. Have things improved over the years, or should I expect similar problems? I am not set up for a CO2 system and refrigerator. I was thinking along the lines of a garbage pail with ice. I was hoping the "technology" had improved over the years from the hand pump scenario. Do any of you know much about how these work these days?
Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: Getting a Sixtel of Beer for a Party?

Yes I have experience just recently. No it hasn't improved much. Yes you will still get cups of foam, at least for the first couple of pulls. After that it is just about enjoying it so who cares? Especially if they didn't buy the keg they can STFU!
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

It's 90% user error. If people would learn not to pump the tap BEFORE filling their cup there wouldn't be as many problems. I find myself seeing that all the time - people walk up to a keg and before they do anything they start pumping it. Then they are all surprised they get a cup full of foam. Fill first, then if needed (and ONLY if needed) give it a pump or two.

Geez, I was the only one paying attention in college? It's a bummer too because Keg beer tastes soooo good.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Last time I was around a keg it had a mini CO2 rigged tap so there was no pumping and no foaming problems.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
It's 90% user error. If people would learn not to pump the tap BEFORE filling their cup there wouldn't be as many problems. I find myself seeing that all the time - people walk up to a keg and before they do anything they start pumping it. Then they are all surprised they get a cup full of foam. Fill first, then if needed (and ONLY if needed) give it a pump or two.

Geez, I was the only one paying attention in college? It's a bummer too because Keg beer tastes soooo good.

: The man speaks the truth!
The keys are to pick the keg up from the store several hours before your guests arrive so the beer has time to settle before you tap it.
Then make sure people only pump it when needed. Not everytime they fill their cup. The reason you get so much foam is because people introduce too much oxygen from pumping it every time!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post

: The man speaks the truth!
The keys are to pick the keg up from the store several hours before your guests arrive so the beer has time to settle before you tap it.
Then make sure people only pump it when needed. Not everytime they fill their cup. The reason you get so much foam is because people introduce too much oxygen from pumping it every time!
or have your own gas system setup so nobody needs to be touchin or pumpin nuttin!@
Old 09-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

They are nice to have!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kegaerator.jpg (9.0 KB, 277 views)
Old 09-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
They are nice to have!
that's what I'm talking bout!
Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road

Like mentioned, it is almost always user error. People pumping when it's not needed, then wondering why it's foam, then pumping some more like that will help. It's called physics. More pressure, more foam. Also, while tapping the keg, make sure the lever is UP, then put it on the keg, turn it until it won't turn anymore, THEN push the lever down. While untapping it, pull lever out and up, then turn. If you do it any other way you will get sprayed with beer. When you first tap it, if the tap/coupler has a pressure relief button or ring, use that to get rid of pressure from the keg. Then pump a few times until you get enough pressure to dispense. If that is not an option the first few cups will probably be foam due to high pressure of dispensing. Only pump to get the beer flowing if it is not. That's it. CO2 is always nice, but costs money (tank, coupler, lines). If using for more than a few days, you will want to go CO2. A day or 2, hand pump works fine. Anymore and you will lose carbonation and the taste will go downhill fast. You are oxygenating the beer and introducing bacteria. That is why old keg beer from a handpump smells awful. Is dispensed by CO2 it will last a long time.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote