Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Mr.Goodfella
Let them rest

First Name: Alan
Trading: (22)
RA Navy (Active)
Mr.Goodfella is on a distinguished road
Default LFD Salomon

Anything that is underlined is a picture link:

Cigar: LFD Salomon
Origin: Dominican Republic
Size: 7” X 64
Price: 20-30$/single
Drink: Six Grapes Port and a glass of water
Start: 2125
End: 2325 (unfinished)

Pre-light:
I was expecting a tighter draw due to the tapered end but the draw is very easy. Hopefully this doesn’t burn fast because I am wanting to take this slow. The taste is a light wood with an all spice in the background.

Flavor: 31/33
1/3 : Very spicy beginning, starting with the first draw. Make sure that you keep puffing because I soon realized that this will go out in the first few minutes if you don’t keep it going. A little bit of pencil lead is coming out which is really odd. It’s not a strong taste, but it lingers with each draw. Coming towards the end of the first third, a very clean tobacco taste comes out which is very pleasing and the pencil lead taste is gone.
2/3 : The ash fell right after the first third and the flavors picked up. A very nice chocolate taste came up but the spice is the main event; a spicy light chocolate if you can picture it. Clean tobacco is still present and the amount of smoke is crazy. Towards the end of the second third I am picking up a very, well, let’s call it a sweet wood if it can be called that, the chocolate is also gone.
3/3: This cigar is kicking my butt. I still have 2 1/2"” left and I want to put it down but it is such a great cigar. I quit smoking cigarettes today (12 yr. habit), so that may be why I am feeling the nicotine, but damn, I am on my ass right now. Sorry for the crappy ending but I have to put it to rest, I am floored.
Smoking characteristics: 31/33
It seems like you can almost feel the oil on you tongue with each puff in the first third. The draw is good but a little easy. Burn is right on with no touch ups required. You will have to give a couple puffs to get a thick cloud of smoke in the first third, but after that it delivers thick clouds. Medium to full bodied with medium flavor. Very good overall.
Overall impression: 32/34
The draw is almost perfect but it is a little easy. This will go out early on if you don’t keep puffin, after it gets past the tapered end you are golden. This is a very solid cigar with excellent construction. The wrapper is near flawless with a few very light veins in a couple spots. The first third was a little frustrating but after that it is excellent. I am glad that have at least one more and I just checked Jack Schwartz but they are sold out. Hopefully I can pick up some more in RI next week.

Overall score: 94/100
Once again, sorry for the crappy ending
Mr.Goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Trading: (0)
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LFD Salomon

i have eyeballed these a few times at one of the local B&Ms - being a fan of the chisel i'd love to try one, but holy cow - at thirty bucks a stick, i just can't bring myself to do it!

great review.
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
mastershogun
Feeling at Home

Trading: (47)
Bolivar
mastershogun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
i have eyeballed these a few times at one of the local B&Ms - being a fan of the chisel i'd love to try one, but holy cow - at thirty bucks a stick, i just can't bring myself to do it!

great review.
sounds/looks like a great stick but the price detracts me from making a purchase... good review nonetheless
mastershogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post

great review.
If you shop around a bit online, you can find them for $23 a stick. That's still awfully expensive but $7 less than $30 a stick!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Love Litto's cigars I may have to have one of these find it's way into my humidor.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershogun View Post
the price detracts me
I just don't see how any cigar that's not vintage can be worth this much. looks yummy though!
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote