Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold
Default JoePa Statue coming down...

Rush to judgement before ALL evidence comes out?...Necessary for true healing and moving forward?...Thoughts...
Old 07-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: JoePa Statue coming down...

I agree with it personally. Enough evidence has been presented for me to form a pretty good opinion on the case. In my mind he's guilty until proven innocent.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Sucks for what a legend he was but if he did what they say it's hard to leave it there! I was the biggest supporter of JoPa but I Just wish I knew all the facts
Old 07-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I completely disagree with this. Until ALL the evidence has been brought to the table...stop making judgement.

But in the social media crazed world we live in today, I can understand why the university did it.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

What evidence are we waiting for? A statement from Paterno perhaps? Are they planning a seance? One of his coaches raped little boys for 10 years... I can't imagine what you would need beyond that to take the guys statue down and cease all hero worship, but hey that's me.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

It was smart in the sense that it will prevent any vandalism of the statue or people taking it down themselves
Old 07-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
What evidence are we waiting for? A statement from Paterno perhaps? Are they planning a seance? One of his coaches raped little boys for 10 years... I can't imagine what you would need beyond that to take the guys statue down and cease all hero worship, but hey that's me.
The Freeh report was extremely biased. Its shows overwhelming information from the victims point of view (which I have no problem with, but it doesn't show Paternos side...only that of the decision made my those with the decision making authority). Paterno family investigation is ongoing as we speak. Will shed a different light on perspective based from JoePas side, showing that he clearly notified his chain of command (school officials) and that the final decision did not lie in his hands. Did he do what was required of him? Yes...he reported information to his superiors. Could he have done more??? Definitley....once the school administration didn't react, he should have taken it to authorities. JoePa did nothing criminal. He did not witness the crime, he was told about it. Should the janitors who saw the crime and did absolutely nothing face a form of penalty as well? What about the asstistant coach who went home and told his father...then waited a few days before letting Paterno know?

Was it Paterno who raped the boys? No...but here we go again, quick to judge Paterno based on media information. So to make sure I understand your point of view...since Paterno was the head football coach, actions of one his coaches were his fault? Since Sandusky was a pedofiler...Paterno must be involved? Come on man!!!

So Paternos 46 year tenure has come to this? IMHO, this is very sad. Not nearly as sad as the abuse the victims were subjected too. But I personally believe the blame cannot be layed on Paterno for the actions of a troubled man.

Compelling arguements can me made for both sides on this case. Bottom line up front is that the victims MUST be taken care of and Sandusky must pay for his crimes. In the wake of the aftermath of this tragic event, mudslinging, finger pointing and passing the buck are happening around the clock. While sad, the times we live in show that you can do 1,000 great things...but people will only remember you for the ONE mistake you make (Paterno for not going to the authorities).

This being the great nation that it is...everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Last edited by kelmac07; 07-22-2012 at 08:21 AM.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
The Freeh report was extremely biased. Its shows overwhelming information from the victims point of view (which I have no problem with, but it doesn't show Paternos side...only that of the decision made my those with the decision making authority). Paterno family investigation is ongoing as we speak. Will shed a different light on perspective based from JoePas side, showing that he clearly notified his chain of command (school officials) and that the final decision did not lie in his hands. Did he do what was required of him? Yes...he reported information to his superiors. Could he have done more??? Definitley....once the school administration didn't react, he should have taken it to authorities. JoePa did nothing criminal. He did not witness the crime, he was told about it. Should the janitors who saw the crime and did absolutely nothing face a form of penalty as well?

Was it Paterno who raped the boys? No...but here we go again, quick to judge Paterno based on media information. So to make sure I understand your point of view...since Paterno was the head football coach, actions of one his coaches were his fault? Since Sandusky was a pedofiler...Paterno must be involved? Come on man!!!

So Paternos 46 year tenure has come to this? IMHO, this is very sad. Not nearly as sad as the abuse the victims were subjected too. But I personally believe the blame cannot be layed on Paterno for the actions of a troubled man.

Compelling arguements can me made for both sides on this case. Bottom line up front is that the victims MUST be taken care of and Sandusky must pay for his crimes. In the wake of the aftermath of this tragic event, mudslinging, finger pointing and passing the buck are happening around the clock. While sad, the times we live in show that you can do 1,000 great things...but people will only remember you for the ONE mistake you make.

This being the great nation that it is...everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Vary well said Mac.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

I agree it's sad that all the good Paterno did can be erased by the bad, but if the Freeh report is accurate, then the bad was enough. I really don't have much doubt of his investigative skills, considering he was head of the FBI.

But, if Paterno can somewhat clear his name, I agree with Christos that taking the statue down protects it from vandalism in the mean time.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The Freeh report was extremely biased. Its shows overwhelming information from the victims point of view (which I have no problem with, but it doesn't show Paternos side...only that of the decision made my those with the decision making authority). Paterno family investigation is ongoing as we speak. Will shed a different light on perspective based from JoePas side, showing that he clearly notified his chain of command (school officials) and that the final decision did not lie in his hands. Did he do what was required of him? Yes...he reported information to his superiors. Could he have done more??? Definitley....once the school administration didn't react, he should have taken it to authorities. JoePa did nothing criminal. He did not witness the crime, he was told about it. Should the janitors who saw the crime and did absolutely nothing face a form of penalty as well? What about the asstistant coach who went home and told his father...then waited a few days before letting Paterno know?

Compelling arguements can me made for both sides on this case. Bottom line up front is that the victims MUST be taken care of and Sandusky must pay for his crimes. In the wake of the aftermath of this tragic event, mudslinging, finger pointing and passing the buck are happening around the clock. While sad, the times we live in show that you can do 1,000 great things...but people will only remember you for the ONE mistake you make (Paterno for not going to the authorities).

YES! Absolutely, totally, YES! Paterno knew it was happening and did not stop it, whether he did everything legally required to cover his and his football program's ass makes no difference to me at all.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
PA_Rob
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Rob
Trading: (0)
PA_Rob is on a distinguished road

I have very strong feelings about this case but also agree with the notion that final judgment - and dissemination of the complete truth - has not yet occurred. While much information is public, and the actions/involvement of many are quite clear, the fact remains that we are all still forming opinions without the complete picture.

HOWEVER, I have to also agree that, while criminal judgment should not be made at this time, enough information has come to light to make a moral judgment on a few things. Specifically, regardless of the details of their actions, the failure by men (and I use that term very lightly) to stand up and stop the rape of children.

The right choices in life are NEVER the easy choices but, invetibaly, we all face them and are put to the truest test of who we are. Many knew and collectively worked to hide what happened for a very long time. That man - and yes, the janitors, too - sacrificed his honor and deserves to have all of his life's good works stripped from history.

They cemented their legacies. Not the media, not the courts, not those children. They chose to be remembered forever as men who allowed children to be raped when they could have stopped it. Nothing else will ever matter.

This is one of those situations that is simply terrible in every possible way. The best we can possibly hope for is that we are all reminded of how important it is to live life with honor and do what is right, especially when the right thing is so hard...
PA_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
.... the blame cannot be layed on Paterno for the actions of a troubled man.
Excuse me????
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
YES! Absolutely, totally, YES! Paterno knew it was happening and did not stop it, whether he did everything legally required to cover his and his football program's ass makes no difference to me at all.
Agreed, whether he was doing it or knew it was being done is regardless. Paterno deserves to rot. There is no valid excuse for this and it makes me sick to my stomach.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
mash
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
mash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post
Agreed, whether he was doing it or knew it was being done is regardless. Paterno deserves to rot. There is no valid excuse for this and it makes me sick to my stomach.
Not only did he know about it, but after he retired, they awarded him and continued to give him access to the recreational facilities. Imagine if this was a religious institution and not a college football team.

You can bet that the people that made this decision know a lot more about the events than we do.
mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Excuse me????
Sandusky was the troubled man...not Paterno.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
But could you also consider someone troubled for covering up what Sandusky did? Less troubled than Sandusky, sure, but troubled nonetheless.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
proguy747
Hey hurry up!

First Name: Marc
Trading: (1)
proguy747 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So if one of my employees comes to me and informs me that another employee is molesting your son kelmac. Don't you think it is a crime if I do not report that your son was being molested?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
But could you also consider someone troubled for covering up what Sandusky did? Less troubled than Sandusky, sure, but troubled nonetheless.
If he did in fact "cover it up"...I say yes, troubled for sure.

As stated in a previous post, the Freeh report is extremely biased. Paterno reported the action to his boss (athletic director) and the action taken after that was out of his hands (as far as decision making). Agreed, again above, that once he saw the administrators weren't taking action...he should have went to the authorities. Paterno didn't run Penn State University...those decisions should have been made by the Board of Trustees/President. Why are there names not being drug through the mud like Paternos is?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proguy747 View Post
So if one of my employees comes to me and informs me that another employee is molesting your son kelmac. Don't you think it is a crime if I do not report that your son was being molested?
But Marc...Paterno did report the action to his boss (athletic director). If in fact he didn't report it to anyone, then yes he is guilty of a crime.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
If he did in fact "cover it up"...I say yes, troubled for sure.

As stated in a previous post, the Freeh report is extremely biased. Paterno reported the action to his boss (athletic director) and the action taken after that was out of his hands (as far as decision making). Agreed, again above, that once he saw the administrators weren't taking action...he should have went to the authorities. Paterno didn't run Penn State University...those decisions should have been made by the Board of Trustees/President. Why are there names not being drug through the mud like Paternos is?
The others will be eventually, I'd guess, but probably not to the same extent as Paterno simply because Paterno is so well known. I disagree to some extent to the report being biased, but do agree that it won't be until after the civil trial that Paterno's name can really be damned or cleared. But, taking down the statue, at least for the mean time, is arguably a wise decision.