Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Springsman

Default School me on "Vintage" and Dated Cigars

HI all....another noob question for you. I've noticed a lot of cigars labeled "Vintage" and also a lot of dated stogies, and even some of both...such as "Vintage 1993" or Vintage 1968 even.... sooo Whisky Tango Foxtrot...were these cigars made in 1968? or was 1968 tobacco used in their making? or is this just a name only kind of thing?? Thanks in advance...
Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: School me on "Vintage" and Dated Cigars

Unlike wine, a lot of it is just marketing--the Rocky Patel "vintage" series is a good example. The tobacco used in those sticks are 5, 7 or 10 years old, not really related to the date on the band.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

Regardless of the name, sometimes you get lucky and can find full boxes and even bundles with dates on them and get sticks that are already aged.

Famous Smokes seems to date most of their stuff.

I bought a bundle of Famous Nicaraguan 5000s I planned on aging until next summer before smoking (after reading that these need at least 6 months in the humi before they are any good).

When I received them they were already 8 months old
Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Springsman

Thanks guys....so my next obvious question is....what does aging do to a cigar? I've seen aging cabinets for sale, and heard you guys talk about aging...do some things age better than others? does it make them more "mellow" or what...
Old 12-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Dont waist the money on an aging cabinet. I use an iglo cooler for long term storage. just get a cooler, a hydrometer and some beads. Put all together and store in closet. out of sight, out of mind. Use a humidor for smoking use. transfer cigars from the cooler to the humi as you need. Just my 2 cents, but it saves money for more cigars.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I believe aging cigars make them taste like they are meant to taste. I usually try to let mine sit a few months to a year when I buy box. I have aged some low price cigars for 6 months and the taste difference is amazing.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Unlike wine, a lot of it is just marketing--the Rocky Patel "vintage" series is a good example. The tobacco used in those sticks are 5, 7 or 10 years old, not really related to the date on the band.
There are a few exceptions though. For example, IIRC, the Macanudo Vintage are actually (allegedly) from the year on the band.

It really depends on the cigar.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Are Nic 5000's from the future?

All kidding aside, I'm going to go with mostly marketing as mentioned above.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Actually most manufacturers will apply a date code to their boxes in some way or another. This aides the company itself in a lot of ways... like for instance... say they had a quality issue with a particular cigar... knowing the date codes gives them the ability to research the issue and hopefully isolate the batch of tobacco from that particular date that was used in making those cigars. It may end up that it wasn't the tobacco but perhaps the roll... or it could be any number of reasons but knowing when those cigars were manufactured is imperative to being able to know if all are bad... or if it's just that batch.

However... the date code is often a specialized "code" for lack of a better term... for instance general cigars have a unique code that you have to know how to decipher it to be able to read it. Otherwise it just looks like random letters and numbers.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

I believe I read a thread from a VERY knowledgeable source that you only need three years to reach fully aged bliss.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
I believe I read a thread from a VERY knowledgeable source that you only need three years to reach fully aged bliss.
Funny I remember reading the same thing, I believe he called this scientific theory "the rule of 3's".
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Funny I remember reading the same thing, I believe he called this scientific theory "the rule of 3's".
indeed, in fact, it was recently extended, through careful experimentation, to include only 3 seconds in a dog dish when dropped.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

i think that i get the jist of your question:

1959 Exodus from Torano - not made in 1959, but that was the year that the partiarch left Cuba.

1926 Padron - not made in 1926, but that was an important date to the Padron family, maybe the year that the elder Padron was born?

1964 Padron - I dunno, maybe the year that the family moved from Cuba?

1968 Macanudo - supposedly original tobacco from 1968, but rolled into a cigar much later.

If anyone can clarify this stuff, please do so.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar4001 View Post
i think that i get the jist of your question:

1959 Exodus from Torano - not made in 1959, but that was the year that the partiarch left Cuba.

1926 Padron - not made in 1926, but that was an important date to the Padron family, maybe the year that the elder Padron was born?

1964 Padron - I dunno, maybe the year that the family moved from Cuba?

1968 Macanudo - supposedly original tobacco from 1968, but rolled into a cigar much later.

If anyone can clarify this stuff, please do so.
Actually on the macanudo... 1968 is the year the first macanudo was made.

That cigar was first released in 2009... HOWEVER

In regards to the macanudo vintages... Those are made with tobacco grown the year that is listed on the band... For instance... The Mac vintage 2000 is comprised of 10 year old tobaccos... The 1997... 13 year old tobacco... The 1993... 17 year old tobacco etc etc etc.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post

In regards to the macanudo vintages... Those are made with tobacco grown the year that is listed on the band... For instance... The Mac vintage 2000 is comprised of 10 year old tobaccos... The 1997... 13 year old tobacco... The 1993... 17 year old tobacco etc etc etc.
Ah ok. I assumed that the 68' was the same theme as the other macanoodle "year" cigars. You know what they say about assuming.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #16
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Actually most manufacturers will apply a date code to their boxes in some way or another. This aides the company itself in a lot of ways... like for instance... say they had a quality issue with a particular cigar... knowing the date codes gives them the ability to research the issue and hopefully isolate the batch of tobacco from that particular date that was used in making those cigars. It may end up that it wasn't the tobacco but perhaps the roll... or it could be any number of reasons but knowing when those cigars were manufactured is imperative to being able to know if all are bad... or if it's just that batch.

However... the date code is often a specialized "code" for lack of a better term... for instance general cigars have a unique code that you have to know how to decipher it to be able to read it. Otherwise it just looks like random letters and numbers.
Do you know how to read it? I've always wondered what the Rj or other letters stood for on my boxes.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #17
jsd

Quote:

1964 was the year the company was started. I believe the Aniversario series were originally released in 1994 for the 30th anniversary of the company. I didn't start smoking cigars until 1998 so I missed out on the original Aniversarios.

Side note: really looking forward to the Padron 50th Anniversary cigar in a few years.

edit: just checked the Padron site to confirm the info on the 1964
Old 12-16-2010, 12:20 AM   #18
dvickery
Team of 1

First Name: derrek
dvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura aboutdvickery has a spectacular aura about

for what its worth...i believe...the cigars that are smoking best just now are...

1989 to 1991...all are good and all(that i have smoked)are ready.

1992 to 1997...most are really good and most are ready(with a few exceptions...party 898v or punch ss#1 for example).

1998 to 2000...getting there...some are pretty good.

derrek
Old 12-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #19
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvickery View Post
for what its worth...i believe...the cigars that are smoking best just now are...

1992 to 1997...most are really good and most are ready(with a few exceptions...party 898v or punch ss#1 for example).

derrek
Baller...
Old 12-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #20
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvickery View Post

derrek
jesus.....you lucky bastid.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote