Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wicked Cool Bird Story.

While Lisa and I were in the Dominican on our love-fest, we spent a good bit of time watching a bird from our terrace. It liked to fish in the pond out back that was slap loaded with little fish.
Whenever we walked by the pond, those fish would clamor to see who was coming and whether or not they'd get a handout.
One afternoon before dinner, I asked Lisa to go down and feed the fish with me. We took some club crackers from the minibar and sat on the edge of the water mushing them up and tossing pieces in.
Surprisingly, as soon as the fish got riled up, this goofy bird came and sat right beneath us, about two feet away.

We figured he was just trying to get in on the cracker action, but what he was doing was picking up the pieces of cracker, then setting them on top of the water waiting for a fish to get it so he could eat the fish.
We weren't sure that's what was going on at first, but when the half dozen turtles would get too overbearing, he'd pick up his crumb, move away, and sit it on the water again. If it started floating away, he'd pick it up and move it closer to himself. If it went mushy and sank, I'd throw him some more and he'd get a new one.
We watched intently, and it took only a couple minutes for him to nab a fish. When he did, he walked up on the bank, then spun it around so he could swallow it correctly. Apparently he knew if he dropped it back in the water, dinner was over.

Even after watching all this, we weren't really sure that what we were seeing was what we thought we saw, and we ran out of crackers (or so we thought, turned out I was sitting on some more). No matter, this bird was still hungry, so he grabbed a snail shell and continued placing it on the water, grabbing it and moving it when the turtles were screwing up his fishing, and ultimately caught himself dinner again. Lisa even managed to catch the whole business on video on her iphone. It was quite a thing to behold.

Today I went and found out what this critter was, it's a Green Heron. Why they call it green is a mystery to me when it's black and red, but whatever. Also, it has a long neck. The pics at Wiki are very deceiving. It keeps it's neck scrunched up, so it's hard to tell.
That Wiki article I linked says "Sometimes they drop food, insects, or other small objects on the water's surface to attract fish, making them one of the few known tool-using species", which made me realize we witnessed something really special, something we'll probably never see again in our lives, and something few people have probably ever witnessed. That's why I wanted to tell you guys about it.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Wicked Cool Bird Story.

Those birds are more intelligent than some people I have observed lately. Thanks for the neat nugget of info this morning, Scott.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Cool story.
There is one pic at the bottom of wiki (in the gallery) showing the neck streched out. It's hard to image that's the same bird.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

LOL that bird is living large
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I had a fish in college, it was a bream that I caught one day that was SO COLORFUL. I discovered through
observation that a fishes coloration increases dramatically when it is about to feed and after it feeds.
I had a chunk of tubifex worms I was going to feed it as I always did, and I got a phone call, put the tubifex
chunk on some masking tape I had matrixed across the top to discourage doofus "leaping out ideas" on the fishes
behalf. And then I hear this splash. The food chunk was gone and the fish was munching away and all colored up.
After I hung up the phone, (cause they used to hang on walls in my day) I put another chunk on the tape,
and watched amazed as it jumped out of the water and tapped that tape with it's nose and then ate the
ball of food that fell in the water. From that day on, he was the dormitory sensation til he just got too big for
that 29 gallon tank. But I gave him to another aquarist that promised to continue taking good care of it in his
55 until it had to go back to nature, or MIT, whichever it decided upon.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

On your honeymoon and you're watching birds catch fish with the woman you love. Ain't life grand brother?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
LOL that bird is living large
Dave, this is where the poor little bastard lived. The whole incident went down right at the little tree on the right of the pond. (This was the view from our terrace, it's how I got introduced to the bird. I watched him every morning while I was having coffee.)

Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
On your honeymoon and you're watching birds catch fish with the woman you love. Ain't life grand brother?
You bet your sweet ass, my brother!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

Great story, I like watching those birds, but have never seen them do anything like that.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

What a great experience! I love watching stuff like that!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Danged bird has a better life than me!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I know you wish you had time to go moving your crackers around from place to place.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I know you wish you had time to go moving your crackers around from place to place.
I've been out in the front yard trying to catch a bird with crackers, no luck so far. I might have to watch the video.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I've watched blue herons sitting by the side of a river and catching fish, as well as kingfishers swooping over a small lake to catch them.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Found a cool video on youtube of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKDr-icvryw
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Very cool Scott.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #17
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

That's good stuff. You'll be talking about this when you're both old and gray!

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

A few years ago I took my daughter fishing early one Sunday and we ran into a string of small pumpin-seed sunfish.

She started catching them on just about every cast (I was the offical hook baiter, fish remover).

After about fish number three a large white crane (I think) flew over and stood just off to the side of us on the rocks.

I threw fish number four back and it watched closely and took a few steps closer (the bird was almost taller than my daughter).

Fish number five hit the water and was instantly scooped up, he missed number six but managed to eat number seven and eight before finally flying back to the tree he had been perched in.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #19
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Great story, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #20
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Scott the lesson here is don't get sucked in with crackers...or you'll get eaten
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote