Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Data Recovery, crashed cf card photo hard drive...

Hi guys,
Big problem...
I had an 8gb compact flash photo hard drive in my Sony dscr1.
Long story short, it died and it contains all our wedding photos.
I've tried it in a card reader, tried freezing it in hopes it would spin up, no dice.
I wouldn't be concerned, but once again, it's our wedding photos.
Does anyone work in data recovery? Anyone who can rebuild a micro hard drive? Any ideas on what the heck I can do?
We're in big trouble here.

Here's what we're looking at.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Data Recovery, crashed cf card photo hard drive...

I guess getting married again is out of the question?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear that Scott.

I've sent disks to Ontrack in the past and had good results, but I've never had to send a CF microdrive in though, so I have no idea what they can do or what it would cost.
http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

I've sent disks to Ontrack in the past and had good results, but I've never had to send a CF microdrive in though, so I have no idea what they can do or what it would cost.

I have done this as well with Hard Drives, but not with a CF. I would highly recommend them and suggest you give them a shot.

They are pricey, but they do get it done!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

If you want to try it yourself, there are some programs available. I haven't used them, so research it first.

http://www.digitalmedia-recovery.com...ash-drive.html

http://www.sharewareconnection.com/u...e-recovery.htm

and I am sure there are others. I just did a google search. I'll see if any of my friends that know about computers have any recommendations.

That being said, the link posted above is probably the safest, albeit most expensive bet.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post

I have done this as well with Hard Drives, but not with a CF. I would highly recommend them and suggest you give them a shot.

They are pricey, but they do get it done!
Can you guys give me an idea of how bad I'm likely to get reamed?
I've looked at the data crash companies, and I used to do data recovery myself. I can rebuild a hard drive and recover missing files on all sorts of stuff, but I don't have my hands anymore, and I'd never be able to transfer the platter to another micro drive.
I'm really hoping against hope that one of the brothers here does this sort of thing. The money issue aside, I'd far rather trust one of my brothers than a perfect stranger who isn't invested in the outcome, ya know?
If it can't be recovered, it can't be recovered, but I'd much rather hear it from a friend.
I'm upset about it, but Lisa is really torn. I'd like to get the problem fixed for her.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
If you want to try it yourself, there are some programs available. I haven't used them, so research it first.

http://www.digitalmedia-recovery.com...ash-drive.html

http://www.sharewareconnection.com/u...e-recovery.htm

and I am sure there are others. I just did a google search. I'll see if any of my friends that know about computers have any recommendations.

That being said, the link posted above is probably the safest, albeit most expensive bet.
I have lots of recovery software, I can do that myself. The platter won't spin up. If it won't spin, ya just can't recover anything. I wish it would, I'd be ecstatic.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Damocles

Man, that's rough...I'm sorry to hear about the (highly critical!!) data loss. I haven't had any luck recovering data from solid state sources, though, so I'm watching closely to see if you find a solution. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Can you guys give me an idea of how bad I'm likely to get reamed?
I've looked at the data crash companies, and I used to do data recovery myself. I can rebuild a hard drive and recover missing files on all sorts of stuff, but I don't have my hands anymore, and I'd never be able to transfer the platter to another micro drive.
I'm really hoping against hope that one of the brothers here does this sort of thing. The money issue aside, I'd far rather trust one of my brothers than a perfect stranger who isn't invested in the outcome, ya know?
If it can't be recovered, it can't be recovered, but I'd much rather hear it from a friend.
I'm upset about it, but Lisa is really torn. I'd like to get the problem fixed for her.
While I wouldn't call the past charges for recovery services on hard disks from them cheap, I wouldn't call them outrageous either.

I simply have no basis to even attempt a guess of a what CF microdrive recovery costs are.

You can get a quote here:
http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/data-recovery-quote/
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
Man, that's rough...I'm sorry to hear about the (highly critical!!) data loss. I haven't had any luck recovering data from solid state sources, though, so I'm watching closely to see if you find a solution. Good luck!
This little goober isn't solid-state flash, it's a true hard drive. It's mechanical.
Solid state usually just gets corrupted and you can retrieve all or most of the data. Not so with this tiny bastage.
When I create a disaster, it's generally pretty huge.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

You can contact OnTrack and try to get an estimate...

Contact Information

24/7 Data Recovery Help Toll Free: 1 800 872 2599
24/7 Data Recovery Help: 1 952 937 5161

General Inquiries (7AM-5PM CST): 1 952 937 5161Fax:1 952 937 5815
Software Questions (8AM-6PM CST): 1 800 645 3649
Service Questions (7AM-7PM CST): 1 800 872 2599
Technical Support (8AM-7PM CST): 1 952 937 2121

Technical Support Email: techsupport@ontrackdatarecovery.com
Customer Service Email: customerservice@ontrackdatarecovery.com

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Thanks Adam and Michael. I'll give them a call a bit later when Lisa gets home.
I'm gonna keep on bumping in hopes on of our brothers does this sort ofvstuff, and if that doesn't work, we'll definitely go with the guys you suggested.
Thank you again!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

http://www.photo-saver.com/recover/?pu=false

They claim a money back guarantee

for 16.95 it aint much to risk

edit: ok, thought it was just a plain ol CF card

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post

edit: ok, thought it was just a plain ol CF card
Major pain in the ass, right Kelly? Grrr
Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 AM   #15
stevepaul36

hi,

Connect the device to the computer using card reader then you can recover lost photos from damaged compact flash card using efficient photo recovery software. All famous picture formats, including the raw image formats can be retrieved using the software.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I tried freezing the little bugger, no dice. Lisa has talked to two data recovery outfits. One says we can ship it, they'll see what they can do, and if they can't do anything, they'll ship it back for free.
Ontrack quoted us $500-$900 to get it done. I had guessed 5 or 6 hundred from them, so prices have gone up. I'm sure they don't do a lot of microdrives either.
Lisa is going to try the first place and see what they can do. After that, we'll reconsider Ontrack.
As it sits, we pretty much decided we're not going to pay 900 bucks. There were tons of family members there taking pics, I'm sure we can gather lots up. We already have some, we'll just go from there.
Thanks for all the help, guys!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #17
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

You could also try going to the mall to one of those Mall Picture Places. They all have different names but you know what they are...I think some are called "Picture People" or something like that.

They have little kiosks in them that you can use to view pics on cards. I found a CF card in the mall once and took it to them, they popped it in to see if they could ID the people in the pictures.

They may have some data recovery functions, who knows? It's worth a shot, at least before you drop hundreds on something else.

Good Luck

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I sent a drive out for data recovery once and it was $400. They were able to get all the info off of it too.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #19
grateful1
testing

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
grateful1 is on a distinguished road

Ontrack gave you that quote but usually the price comes in lower AND you don't have to pay the price upfront.
Pay the initial cost (I think $100) then they will send you a file with a listing of what was found and you can decide from that.

There are also software programs that you can use:

'Smart Recovery 4.5' and 'Recover Files' are two that we've used with some success.

If they are that important...go with Ontrack.
grateful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful1 View Post
Ontrack gave you that quote but usually the price comes in lower AND you don't have to pay the price upfront.
Pay the initial cost (I think $100) then they will send you a file with a listing of what was found and you can decide from that.

There are also software programs that you can use:

'Smart Recovery 4.5' and 'Recover Files' are two that we've used with some success.

If they are that important...go with Ontrack.
This is a microdrive that won't spin up. It's a mechanical issue, not a lost file issue or corruption issue, so software is useless. I can recover deleted stuff from hard drives all day, it's not a big deal. It's very simple, really.
Ya can't recover anything from a hard drive that won't spin, short of taking out the disc and placing it in another hard drive. It's sheer hell and has to be done in a clean room or a hepa tent.
Big hard drives are hell to swap platters. Now imagine a hard drive that's the size of a compact flash card. That's what I have. If it were deleted files on that card, I could get them all back in a few minutes. Not the case.
If I had any dexterity left at all, I'd go ahead and put my microdrive platter in a new microdrive and recover it. I just can't do it, I'm too old and shaky.
Point being, software is useless.
We're still deciding if we're willing to pay a thousand bucks for the pics. They won't go anywhere while we make up our minds. We may have enough pics from the family's pics that we're happy. I'm hoping that's how it shakes out. Wish us luck.