Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #21
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: We are multiple major lottery winners.

Funny you should post this - my oldest daughter (in college) recently made a post on my Facebook page:

"Have you won the lottery yet? I need things."

I replied that I hadn't thought about it but for her to get her list ready and I would play the coming Friday.

So I did - played 5 bucks. Won $21. That puts me $16 up on them

I plan on playing again here before Christmas so I can have some extra spending money -

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I won a certificate for five free haircuts once. But my dad's a barber, and besides, I don't have much hair to cut.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #23
Shemp Howard
Who's Your Baghdadi?

First Name: Rick
Trading: (0)
Cohiba MarineCorps
Shemp Howard is on a distinguished road

I won 5 bucks once.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:11 AM   #24
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

I won a free ride in the back seat of a police car once.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #25
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

I won fantasy 5, it was avg about 185k the whole week before I won. Avg about 105k the week after I won. The night I won 13 of us had it right! I got 10k after taxes! Bought my boat with it.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #26
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

I won $3 once.
I only buy a ticket if it's over $100M, and even then it's rare.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #27
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Funny you should post this - my oldest daughter (in college) recently made a post on my Facebook page:

"Have you won the lottery yet? I need things."

I replied that I hadn't thought about it but for her to get her list ready and I would play the coming Friday.

So I did - played 5 bucks. Won $21. That puts me $16 up on them

I plan on playing again here before Christmas so I can have some extra spending money -

Ron
Well played, my man. I'm going to employ your strategy.
I hope they don't catch on to us. That's a sweet little loophole you got. (heheh, I said sweet little loophole)
Old 12-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #28
BC-Axeman

I won $1700 once. I was one digit away from $12M that nobody won at that drawing. I replaced my major appliances. I think I'm still ahead in winnings/spendings.
Orwell wrote about lotteries in "1984".
Old 12-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #29
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I got us a couple new tickets yesterday, forgot about them till today. We got one number out of two tickets, which is really good as compared to no numbers whatsoever. We make as much money as if we got no numbers at all, but we're headed in a positive direction.
I'm feeling like we're ready to put the big sting on the lottery any day now.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #30
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Lisa and I play powerball and megamillions pretty regular. More regular when I get in the groove. I try to grab a couple tickets when I get coffee, it's my retirement plan.
Recently, we have put it to the man for $28, $28, $7, $7, and $7. That's all in less than a year's time.
I'm not sure how long they can continue to take this kind of beatdown, but you guys should get in on it while they're giving money away.

Any other big winners here?
Don't forget to set some aside for income taxes!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #31
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (84)
lbowles2 will become famous soon enough

I worked with a guy that had previously worked at the KS Lottery and he gave me a tip about buying tickets. This didn't really sound right to me at first but the more I thought about the more sense it made.

OK... say you buy $5 of Powerball tickets. Most people let the machine pick you 5 random sets of numbers... one for each $1 ticket. The problem with this is you are trying to make 1 set of random numbers (or in this case 1 of 5 sets) match another set of random numbers generated at the drawing. What he says to do instead is ALWAYS play the same set of numbers... that way one of the random factors is eliminated effectively taking one or two zeros off of your chances of winning percentage wise.

Another tip he gave me (and this is the part that didn't sound right at first) is to play the same set of numbers on all 5 plays. His reasoning is that your odds of winning are already like .0000000001% (not exact but you get the idea). By playing the same set of numbers for all 5 plays you only knock 1 zero off of those odds so you're really not improving your odds that much. The benefit of having all 5 of the same set of numbers is if you do win something short of the jackpot you win it 5 times!!! So if you win $100 you really win $500.

Like I said it didn't really sound right to me at the time cuz I figured playing 5 different sets of numbers would improve your odds more. Part of his job was doing the math behind so he had the numbers he generated to prove his case. That being said I don't typically buy lottery tickets so I haven't gotten to test the theory yet
Old 12-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #32
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
I won a free ride in the back seat of a police car once.
I thought I recognized you
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #33
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbowles2 View Post
OK... say you buy $5 of Powerball tickets. Most people let the machine pick you 5 random sets of numbers... one for each $1 ticket. The problem with this is you are trying to make 1 set of random numbers (or in this case 1 of 5 sets) match another set of random numbers generated at the drawing. What he says to do instead is ALWAYS play the same set of numbers... that way one of the random factors is eliminated effectively taking one or two zeros off of your chances of winning percentage wise.
Statistically, your chances are exactly the same. The win could be the same number many times over the years and never, ever get to most numbers.
Quote:
Another tip he gave me (and this is the part that didn't sound right at first) is to play the same set of numbers on all 5 plays. His reasoning is that your odds of winning are already like .0000000001% (not exact but you get the idea). By playing the same set of numbers for all 5 plays you only knock 1 zero off of those odds so you're really not improving your odds that much. The benefit of having all 5 of the same set of numbers is if you do win something short of the jackpot you win it 5 times!!! So if you win $100 you really win $500.
This one makes sense. If five other persons and you won the big jackpot, you would get half instead of 1/6.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #34
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (84)
lbowles2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Statistically, your chances are exactly the same. The win could be the same number many times over the years and never, ever get to most numbers.
If you take one of the 'random' variables out of the equation over time you're odds are going to be better. Maybe not for that one drawing but over time they will. This would help the person that plays every week not someone like me that buys once every two years if that.