Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #1121
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation
Default Re: beer hauls

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Bill I get DFH, but what is Stones??
Stone is the brewery from which Arrogant Bastard hails
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #1122
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Grassy-a$$, Al-b...Now one more question before I totally threadjack. I see here and there, "put some away for
a few years, you'll be glad you did." At the risk of starting a fight over 'aging' I come from the bourbon community,
where once it's in glass, time stops. Besides the analogy to Cuban Cigars, i.e., the price will never be going DOWN,
so when you see the good stuff, grab it, what could one logically expect a beer like that to do over time?
Or maybe, which beers seem to benefit from time in the cool and dark.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #1123
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
On a scale of 1-10, I give it a "why?".
Haha, sorry, i just thought this was funny as hell.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #1124
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Grassy-a$$, Al-b...Now one more question before I totally threadjack. I see here and there, "put some away for
a few years, you'll be glad you did." At the risk of starting a fight over 'aging' I come from the bourbon community,
where once it's in glass, time stops. Besides the analogy to Cuban Cigars, i.e., the price will never be going DOWN,
so when you see the good stuff, grab it, what could one logically expect a beer like that to do over time?
I've personally never been able to age beers, even in cases. I just drink them all.

Cigars are easier for me to set aside.....easier to horde tons in coolers then to have a ton of beers lying around. I just don't have the space for it.

In general though Imperial stouts are ones to age. IPA's in general you wouldn't want to age.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #1125
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Well if there is a better place to taste as many beers as exist in the world of commonswerism, that'd be the place to DO IT!

Bill, I figured that you probably liked that Arrogant Bastard for a reason that was greater than the coolness of the picture for an avatar.

Greg, thanks for the shove in that direction, I have heard bitter, strong, etc. For one of my picks to
be worthy of a "if you don't like it, there's something wrong with you" makes me feel extra good
about that one. I am itching to tackle all of em soon.
Yes, as per my retardedly high ABV bourbons I like beers that are very brutal and 9%-21% ABV. Thus the Double Bastard/Arrogant Bastard, even the Stone Ruination. I guess I would call them "aggressive beers". Anything from Stone's usually is a great example. The Russian Imperial Stout is another good one.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #1126
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

HUpmann

Quote:
Others here will have far more sound advice but here is my try at advice:

Start here

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store.php

This is merely a starter article but it helped me. I started a year or so ago aging beers and its been more of an experiment than anything. Some I have held onto longer tasted better within months but lost something within a year, others sucked totally after aging and some have been better every time I try them. IPAs and other hoppy beers lose hoppiness as they age but very complex beers can benefit from time as flavors meld, as cigars. And just as stronger Cubans tend to fair longer in aging, stronger beers do as well. Some beers I've had that had a strong 'alcohol' taste became less harsh as they aged while some beers that were tasty to begin with became boring as they aged.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #1127
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Yes, as per my retardedly high ABV bourbons I like beers that are very brutal and 9%-21% ABV. Thus the Double Bastard/Arrogant Bastard, even the Stone Ruination. I guess I would call them "aggressive beers". Anything from Stone's usually is a great example. The Russian Imperial Stout is another good one.
+1 I love aggressive beers but damn Stone brewery....their Russian IS is hard to come by.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #1128
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
+1 I love aggressive beers but damn Stone brewery....their Russian IS is hard to come by.
Not really, technically it is a seasonal release that in some places (here) sits on shelves for months. However, the next release will be shipped shortly along with a Belgian variation

http://atlantabeermaster.com/stones-odd-russian/
Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #1129
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Yeah I agree, there really is no season it just hits the local a few random times a year. Even out of season.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #1130
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Yeah I agree, there really is no season it just hits the local a few random times a year. Even out of season.
Exactly what the Stone rep told me at a tasting at my local B&M. He didn't even have any to try that night
Old 04-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #1131
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
Not really, technically it is a seasonal release that in some places (here) sits on shelves for months. However, the next release will be shipped shortly along with a Belgian variation

http://atlantabeermaster.com/stones-odd-russian/
Thanks for the heads up. If my B&M doesn't have any when it releases I may have to find another place even though he has been good to me when it comes to getting limited production beers. It seems the more I expand my knowledge of beer the more I'm noticing he can't get a hold of the ones I want.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #1132
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

HUpmann

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. If my B&M doesn't have any when it releases I may have to find another place even though he has been good to me when it comes to getting limited production beers. It seems the more I expand my knowledge of beer the more I'm noticing he can't get a hold of the ones I want.
Sorry to keep posting links but this is how I find good stores and bars when I travel

http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/

You may have to sign up, not sure but worth it. When I was meeting Bao and Moe in Worcester, MA I was able to locate Austin Liquors, which had a great selection of stuff including GIBCS and some others I was looking for.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #1133
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
The best beers to age are high ABV, bottle conditioned ales. This includes the Imperial stouts Bill mentioned, but also barleywines, double IPAs, Christmas ales, and many Belgians. The reason is that the yeast in these bad boys will continue to work on the beer, causing changes over time.

If you have the patience, it can pay off. Most of the beers I age are homebrews, some go back to the mid-90s. I shared a 1996 (I think) "mystery stout" at a herf a few months ago, and it was like a smooth sherry.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #1134
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Barleywines & Imperial Stouts are my favorites to age.
Also bourbon barrel beers such as Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #1135
OLS
Suck It

Well in the other thread I told the tale of the Thelonius Bit(hes Brew that I had seen, of course it was only a mental
picture and it was the regular Brother Thelonius belgian ale, but of course, I rushed back to the store today.
We had a Wicked bout of severe weather here last night, and work had no power. As I move electrons around
to make funny pictures for a living, no need for me to stick around. And for some reason Buster's opens
really early, lol. So I march in there to collect my bit(hes brew. Which isn't. So instead of doing what I SHOULD,
Marching right back out, what do we ALL do? That's right, we make yesterday look like a coin in the fountain.
More or less, anyway, I mean I did not break the bank. Alcohol marketers love me, cause I never saw
a gift set I didn't want to buy, and I 'needed a glass', then I figured people seem to like the hoppy hoppenstein
or whatever, and I thought I'd try another rack on color alone and went for that russian stuff.

Thanks to all who replied with answers to my newb question. Here, for you, are more pics of glass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bee-yars2a.jpg (47.7 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg bee-yars 2b.jpg (94.2 KB, 253 views)
Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #1136
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Thanks to all who replied with answers to my newb question. Here, for you, are more pics of glass.
Those all get the in my book. Victory makes some great beer--Hop Wallop is an excellent specimen. Imperial IPA, and if you're not a citrusy hop fan, it might be a little much. I love it, though!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #1137
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Brad = Winning!

I really dig those, Brad! And now you have a great Chimay goblet to down the goods.

Trappist Ales 4 Life!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #1138
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Damn Brad! Well done Those Old Rasputins are tasty
Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #1139
romwarrior
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Cohiba
romwarrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
It was supposed to be one per customer.

You will not be disappointed. Buy as many as you can afford. It is outstanding stuff.
romwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #1140
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Got me a pair of Mephistopheles today. They were only $9 a piece.