Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 03-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #41
mariogolbee

Default Re: My First French Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
The only drawback to the Cold-Brew would be if you wanted it hot. Coffee never has the same, good, fresh brewed flavor if it is reheated. No matter if its in a pot or the micro, it never tastes as good.

I will stick w/ the Press for hot coffee. I will probably try the cold brew this summer though.
Have you actually tried cold brew heated before making this bold claim? I agree that a reheated cup of traditionally made brew is not quite the same. Cold brew is not heated in the first place, though.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #42
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
The only drawback to the Cold-Brew would be if you wanted it hot. Coffee never has the same, good, fresh brewed flavor if it is reheated. No matter if its in a pot or the micro, it never tastes as good.

I will stick w/ the Press for hot coffee. I will probably try the cold brew this summer though.
I don't know about that because it's never been heated in the first place. I know one time a few weeks ago we brewed a pot in the french press due to the extreme cold and just couldn't believe how much more bitter it was. Haven't made another french press pot since.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #43
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Just put another "pot" in...

My instructions I shared in another thread:

After putting in plug/filter:
1) Pour in 4 cups water
2) Put in 4 cups of course grind coffee
3) Put in 3 more cups of water
4) Do not mix/stir, but gently fold in the dry grounds in the water until it's all soaking
5) Approximately 12 hours later, pull the plug and filter into the decanter
6) Determine the dilution you like best-I think the manual says a 3:1 or 4:1 wateroffee concentrate, but you need to determine what works best for your taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coffee.jpg (54.3 KB, 270 views)
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #44
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
TEmp depends on brew time as well. A great temp ratio is 195-205 water and about a 5-6 minute brew time. Out of a drip machine, these specs can yield a pretty decent cup o joe.

We had a few machines (mr. coffee, krups a cuisanart) that we did a test with against the Capresso m500 we had just bought. Each of the cheaper guys had about a 155-165 temp whereas the Capresso was 200 in the basket and 190 going into the pot. Time for a full brew was 6 minutes. Great smooth coffee out of that drip machine.

I don't know all the science behind it, but do know temp & time are important factors. We are back to a $19 cheapo drip now after losing the capresso in the fire and have not had a good cup of coffee since. Plus it takes 15 minutes to brew a bitter pot of coffee now.

coffeegeeks dot com can teach you tons about the dark coffee bean goodness
I've Had A Capresso For 5 Years, Now, With No Problems! Love It!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote