Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 10-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #4201
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

That's always an issue for me too when cooking multiple pieces of different sizes.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:14 AM   #4202
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I'd hit that!!! Good job brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
2nd to last removed

Same one, just opened up

A little more

And pulled,

The one pulled last was a bit dry but we mixed it with the others that were plenty juicy. If it was the only one I did, then sauce would be mandatory. Flavor is fantastic. The first meal I ate, I sauced with one of my favorite commercial brands and it was good. The next time I went sauce free and it tasted even better. The sauce hides the amazing flavor of that bark. I need to find/develop a "finishing sauce" that is thinner and not so overpowering.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #4203
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I've used two online vendors for casing. But a local butcher would work, too.
Here is one http://www.makincasing.com/x/home.php
I can't remember the other but both are good quality. I'll try an remember to check the other when I get home and post here.

I have a "sweet rub" for pork that I like on smoked butt/shoulder. I'll post that one up, too
Here is the other vendor I've bought casing from.
http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/

I still need to get that rub recipe posted for you
Old 10-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #4204
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I leave the fat cap on, and up in the smoker. Helps baste the pork as it renders. Yes, you will loose some bark, if you remove it before pulling. Kinda surprised even without the fat cap, the pork was dry as there's usually plenty of intramuscular fat in a typical butt. Could be you got one with a bit less than normal.
This.

I trim the fat to be somewhat constant butt to butt. I also will rotate butts if some of them are smaller or larger than the rest.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #4205
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys. Bob/Steve, I will go fat cap up and mostly if not completely left in tact next time. I appreciate the advice.

Thanks for the kudos Brent. It means something coming from someone serious about their BBQ, like yourself.

Peter, I will check out that link. Plus, I'm probably not going to smoke any meat in the immediate future so no hurry. I'm still eating pulled pork for lunch everyday. Supposed to have some friends over for dinner tomorrow and use it for the meal. We should still have lots left over ever after that. ;dr

Although, I get paid tomorrow and the buy one get one sale runs through 10/27. Need to check back in and see if they have more, just in case.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #4206
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Mike, another source for sausage making stuff is Butcher & Packer. Lucky for us, they're located on 14 Mile east of John R.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #4207
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Mike, another source for sausage making stuff is Butcher & Packer. Lucky for us, they're located on 14 Mile east of John R.
That's only a mile from where I work. Definitely like to check it out.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #4208
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This.

I trim the fat to be somewhat constant butt to butt. I also will rotate butts if some of them are smaller or larger than the rest.
I used to rotate butts too, then I got married. Your wife must me really forgiving.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #4209
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post

I have a "sweet rub" for pork that I like on smoked butt/shoulder. I'll post that one up, too
Here it is.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63808
Old 10-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #4210
Will herf for food

VR

Thanks Peter. I'll put it to good use.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #4211
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Pork shoulder going on the smoke. Rubbed with pepper, garlic salt, and brown sugar. Injected with apple juice, salt, sugar and worcestershire.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #4212
Will herf for food

VR

Pete, we're going to need some update pics.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #4213
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

I'm expecting to see some good smoked turkey photo's here today Gotta get the fire prepped and going...

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone...
Old 11-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #4214
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

I'll post mine once it's done!
Old 11-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #4215
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
I'll post mine once it's done!
Turkey in the Weber @1125AM/PST and temp holding fairly steady @ 250*. Using Mesquite wood for the beginning smoke:

Old 11-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #4216
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

From yesterday, 18 lbs of pulled pork for a party at the brewery. Also some fire roasted salsa since the other pork photos didn't come out and I was way too busy to take pictures of the smoked brats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w20131126_130434.jpg (97.4 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg w20131126_231226.jpg (94.3 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg w20131126_144322.jpg (89.1 KB, 345 views)
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #4217
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
From yesterday, 18 lbs of pulled pork for a party at the brewery. Also some fire roasted salsa since the other pork photos didn't come out and I was way too busy to take pictures of the smoked brats.
...and if I had one dawa for every excuse in this thread, I'd be fairly well off too

Great looking bard on the pork Adam. Hope you all had a good time at the brewry
Old 11-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #4218
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Turkey in the Weber @1125AM/PST and temp holding fairly steady @ 250*. Using Mesquite wood for the beginning smoke...
Webers holding nice and steady at a smidge above 225*
Old 11-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #4219
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

A 4 1/2 hr indirect cook between 225* and 250*. Bird is currently wrapped awaiting side dishes to complete...

Old 11-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #4220
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

There was only four of us so I did some Turkey legs on the Weber.