Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #2401
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnStogie View Post
So - is it possible to overfill a humidor? When I bought this I was told you can put in about 40 cigars, definitely have way more than that in it...
The answer is yes. You want some room for a little air flow. May be why that RH is reading 46%.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #2402
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
The answer is yes. You want some room for a little air flow. May be why that RH is reading 46%.
I respectfully disagree. Cigars in full boxes will store just fine, I dont see any difference when they are placed in a humidor. I think there may be other reasons why his Rh is reading so low. Possibly a leak or unseasoned humidor.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #2403
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I respectfully disagree. Cigars in full boxes will store just fine, I dont see any difference when they are placed in a humidor. I think there may be other reasons why his Rh is reading so low. Possibly a leak or unseasoned humidor.
Good point about the cigar boxes Bob. Scott (Shilala) taught me long ago to not let my sticks touch the back of my vinos (his exact words were, "it'll wreck them") and I've stuck that that train of thought ever since. Has worked wonderfully for me.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #2404
CdnStogie
Fooore!

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
RyJ
CdnStogie is on a distinguished road

The reason the humidity is so low is because I just finished stocking it up and rearranging.
CdnStogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #2405
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The reason the humidity is so low is because I just finished stocking it up and rearranging.
I love how everyone was jumping to conclusions.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #2406
CdnStogie
Fooore!

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba View Post
Haha

I was thinking the same thing
Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #2407
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
How were people "jumping to conclusions"? I just asked if 46% was his usual RH.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #2408
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

No not you Tom, but Mac and Bobarian were already trouble shooting about why it was so low which is great how everyone here cares about each other and the well being of their cigars. They just didn't think of the obvious answer IMHO
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #2409
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

Also the first pic is of the humidor open so logically he snapped a pic of it open then closed it and snapped another pic. Just saying
Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #2410
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Also the first pic is of the humidor open so logically he snapped a pic of it open then closed it and snapped another pic. Just saying
Check out the big brain on Brad!

You could learn a lot from Bob and Mac. Just saying.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #2411
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Who's Brad? and if that was directed at me I agree. I can learn a lot from Bob and Mac but that don't mean I can't give them a hard time about stuff.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #2412
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Enough of the banter, fellas. This thread is meant for Q&A.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #2413
CdnStogie
Fooore!

RyJ

Quote:

"Your a smart motha *****'er, that's right the metric system" - One of my favourite movies of all time... hehehe... (Pulp Fiction)

Anyways - Prior to opening it, both internal digi and built in humi were reading 65%. (I have the 65% beads)

I just went through (see some of my other posts) re-seasoning, and also taping the rim of my humidor to fix the seal leak... I believe I ha(ve)(d) it fixed.

This was only 2 days ago when I completed my re-seasoning, my new sticks came in the mail yesterday and I then filled er up as shown above.

I checked last night before going to bed and the humidity rose back up to 60% on the built in and 63% on the Xikar.

This morning it was 62% on the Xikar and 61% on the built in.

I am assuming I am good for now? I am watching over it on a daily basis to ensure that it did infact get properly seasoned and the numbers stay above 60%.

What is your opinion? New smokes could have been dry and are holding down the RH? Should I take them out and just put them in a tupperdor? During the whole reseasoning, seal issues I had them in a tupperdor and that thing is damn well fool proof.... If I keep having issues with the seal on this I am going to throw the humidor in the garbage, cry myself to sleep the next night and go and buy a coolerdor....

....At least I can then tell the girlfriend why I need to buy more cigars this way
Old 04-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #2414
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
"Your a smart motha *****'er, that's right the metric system" - One of my favourite movies of all time... hehehe... (Pulp Fiction)

Anyways - Prior to opening it, both internal digi and built in humi were reading 65%. (I have the 65% beads)

I just went through (see some of my other posts) re-seasoning, and also taping the rim of my humidor to fix the seal leak... I believe I ha(ve)(d) it fixed.

This was only 2 days ago when I completed my re-seasoning, my new sticks came in the mail yesterday and I then filled er up as shown above.

I checked last night before going to bed and the humidity rose back up to 60% on the built in and 63% on the Xikar.

This morning it was 62% on the Xikar and 61% on the built in.

I am assuming I am good for now? I am watching over it on a daily basis to ensure that it did infact get properly seasoned and the numbers stay above 60%.

What is your opinion? New smokes could have been dry and are holding down the RH? Should I take them out and just put them in a tupperdor? During the whole reseasoning, seal issues I had them in a tupperdor and that thing is damn well fool proof.... If I keep having issues with the seal on this I am going to throw the humidor in the garbage, cry myself to sleep the next night and go and buy a coolerdor....

....At least I can then tell the girlfriend why I need to buy more cigars this way
60-65% ish is fine, IMO.

It can take time for the humidity in a humidor to adjust after adding/removing large quantities of cigars. Also, celophaned cigars tend to acclimate more slowly, so I wouldn't obsess over it.

A common point of leakage on glass top humidors is the molding that holds the glass in place. A lot of them are just nailed in place and aren't sealed.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #2415
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

Jeff I recommend just going ahead and getting yourself a coolidor and then you can hold way more sticks. Trust me it will fill up fast
Old 04-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #2416
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
60-65% ish is fine, IMO.

It can take time for the humidity in a humidor to adjust after adding/removing large quantities of cigars. Also, celophaned cigars tend to acclimate more slowly, so I wouldn't obsess over it.

A common point of leakage on glass top humidors is the molding that holds the glass in place. A lot of them are just nailed in place and aren't sealed.
Just to underscore what Adam said -- it can take weeks for a humidor to settle down and reach an equilibrium after any changes.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #2417
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

RyJ

I had a great tat series p tonight but as I was taking off the band there was some glue stuck to the wrapper and it tore a little. Any advice on how to remove the band if there is excess glue?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #2418
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Sometimes smoking the cigar for a bit will help -- the heat can loosen the glue. If the wrapper does tear you can always touch it up with a little pectin (the glue often used in manufacturing cigars). You can buy pectin from many sources, including many cigar retailers, BOTLs, etc. You can also make your own, if you are so inclined.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:22 AM   #2419
Pobreng Kapre
Cheapskate smoker.

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (0)
Pobreng Kapre is on a distinguished road

Hi! Newbie here. I have been smoking cigars for almost 3 months now. Unfortunately, i don't have that many choices here. Specially the cheap ones. Right now, i'm only smoking Quorums. I tried the Partagas No. 4 once and it was really good.
Pobreng Kapre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #2420
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Pick up some samplers from one (or more) of the online retailers -- will allow you to try a wide variety of cigars for a reasonable price.