Old 10-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #381
DavenportESQ
Vaya Con Dios

First Name: David
Trading: (15)
ERdM
DavenportESQ has disabled reputation
Default Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2009

Florida is hands down the number one team in the league...They have played the whole season at number 1 and will continue until and if they ever loose. I dont know how or why people think Bama should be number one? Who have they played?

They have played V Tech..A Decent opponent in Ole Miss, and Decent South Carolina?

Florida played The Same Decent opponents and went to LSU and Beat the tigers at Home

If Florida is healthy and they both Match Up in the SEC Title Game you will see why Florida is superior. Bama can put no points up on the board..There offense only put up 13 against South Carolina...South Carolina has a terrible offense, and they were within 1 TD the whole game? Think about how much UF's offense is better, how many different ways they can score..

Yes Bama will put the game on Ingrams shoulders and give him 30 carries against UF, but that still won't be enough. They have no explosive players(Julio Jones can't get the ball) and are too one dimensional
Old 10-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #382
Poe
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
Poe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ View Post
Florida is hands down the number one team in the league...They have played the whole season at number 1 and will continue until and if they ever loose. I dont know how or why people think Bama should be number one? Who have they played?

They have played V Tech..A Decent opponent in Ole Miss, and Decent South Carolina?

Florida played The Same Decent opponents and went to LSU and Beat the tigers at Home

If Florida is healthy and they both Match Up in the SEC Title Game you will see why Florida is superior. Bama can put no points up on the board..There offense only put up 13 against South Carolina...South Carolina has a terrible offense, and they were within 1 TD the whole game? Think about how much UF's offense is better, how many different ways they can score..

Yes Bama will put the game on Ingrams shoulders and give him 30 carries against UF, but that still won't be enough. They have no explosive players(Julio Jones can't get the ball) and are too one dimensional
FL this year vs BCS opponents:

23-13 over Tennessee
41-7 over Kentucky
13-3 over LSU
23-20 over Arkansas

Bama vs BCs opponents:

34-24 over Va Tech
35-7 over Arkansas
38-20 over Kentucky
22-3 over Ole Miss
20-6 over South Carolina

Neither team is clearly number 1, most people seem to say that bama has played better this year but Florida started number 1 and shouldn't fall till they lose. Arguments can be made either way. Bama has played a bit better schedule to this point than Florida imo and will have the better schedule by the end due to the east being way down this year and VaTech being a better OOC opponent than Florida State.

Have you watched a Florida game this year? They are doing what it takes to win but they don't look like the same dominating team they have been when playing SEC opponents (see LSU, TN and ARK games). Last week you were saying SC would win and had bama's number and now bama is not impressive because they only beat SC by 2 touchdowns? SC has a great defense and is a Top 25 team. FL barely beat an unranked (but good) Arkansas team that Bama absolutely destroyed. I have no problem with people voting FL #1 but to suggest that they have clearly been more impressive than Bama this year is laughable imo.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #383
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

David: I Still Don't Think Fl. Is as good This Year as Last Year. They don't have Percy Harvin anymore, and I Think BAMA's Receivers are better than Florida's. Tebow is Obviously The Best Quarterback in College FB, today, and He Makes Florida's Team. We Beat Arkansas by a much larger margin than Florida did. I Think BAMA's Defense is Just as good as Florida's, and, "If" BAMA gets to Play Fl. in the SEC Championship, I Think They will keep it Close.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #384
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

That's why they play the games, Boys.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #385
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

Its a good day to be an AU fan. It means Saturday is over

Its gonna be a long rest of the season I predict /sigh
Old 10-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #386
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Sour grapes much?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #387
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Just remember, the sports media had the New York Giants as the top team in the NFL - until they ran into that buzzsaw in New Orleans.

Florida may be the anointed #1 team in the land but it's just the opinion of sportswriters and coaches until they play the SEC Championship game where they probably will meet Alabama (Unless LSU can pull off the upset of the century).
Old 10-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #388
DavenportESQ
Vaya Con Dios

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe View Post
FL this year vs BCS opponents:

23-13 over Tennessee
41-7 over Kentucky
13-3 over LSU
23-20 over Arkansas

Bama vs BCs opponents:

34-24 over Va Tech
35-7 over Arkansas
38-20 over Kentucky
22-3 over Ole Miss
20-6 over South Carolina

Neither team is clearly number 1, most people seem to say that bama has played better this year but Florida started number 1 and shouldn't fall till they lose. Arguments can be made either way. Bama has played a bit better schedule to this point than Florida imo and will have the better schedule by the end due to the east being way down this year and VaTech being a better OOC opponent than Florida State.

Have you watched a Florida game this year? They are doing what it takes to win but they don't look like the same dominating team they have been when playing SEC opponents (see LSU, TN and ARK games). Last week you were saying SC would win and had bama's number and now bama is not impressive because they only beat SC by 2 touchdowns? SC has a great defense and is a Top 25 team. FL barely beat an unranked (but good) Arkansas team that Bama absolutely destroyed. I have no problem with people voting FL #1 but to suggest that they have clearly been more impressive than Bama this year is laughable imo.
This logic is rediculous. Just because they barely got by Arkansas they aren't playing good. For one the Arkansas team that showed up against FlA was much different than the one that showed up against Bama

You forget when you're number 1 you have a target on your back everyone plays you there best all year.

You simply cannot compare an SEC team one week to another saying "oh we destroyed them, they should" because every fan in the SEC knows there are no gimme games

Bama Looked real impressive against Va. Tech.. Weren't they loosing the whole game?

I don't think that Bama looked impressive against South Carolina at all. They won, and thats great and I'm not sour about it, people forget they are the 2nd ranked team they should win...And they didn't dominate South Carolina They were leading by 7 points a majority of the game. There offense only scored 13 points...
Old 10-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #389
Poe
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
This logic is rediculous. Just because they barely got by Arkansas they aren't playing good. For one the Arkansas team that showed up against FlA was much different than the one that showed up against Bama

You forget when you're number 1 you have a target on your back everyone plays you there best all year.

You simply cannot compare an SEC team one week to another saying "oh we destroyed them, they should" because every fan in the SEC knows there are no gimme games

Bama Looked real impressive against Va. Tech.. Weren't they loosing the whole game?

I don't think that Bama looked impressive against South Carolina at all. They won, and thats great and I'm not sour about it, people forget they are the 2nd ranked team they should win...And they didn't dominate South Carolina They were leading by 7 points a majority of the game. There offense only scored 13 points...

My logic is ridiculous?

So I can't say anything negative against Florida struggling to beat Arkansas but you can say Bama didn't look impressive against South Carolina when they led the whole game and won by 14. I'll agree it wasn't bama's most impressive game, but you can't say that about bama and not apply the same standard to Florida.

You can't say its ok FL struggled with Arkansas because there are no "gimmie games" in the SEC and then dog Bama for not "dominating" SC.

You don't think Bama has a big a target on our back? You started talking smack about the bama game a few weeks the game every happened.

You can hate bama (clearly you do) but 90% of the sports writers in the country disagree with you. So we can agree to disagree. I'm past South Carolina and looking forward to Tennessee!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #390
DavenportESQ
Vaya Con Dios

ERdM

All I am saying is everyone is saying We should be #1 because UF didn't look impressive, well I dont think Bama did either. but thats just my opinion

You guys are saying that UF only beat Ark. by this many look we beat them by this much, therefore we are better

I guess what it comes down to is that UF beat Bama last year in the Championship game. Thats why they should be number 1
Old 10-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #391
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

I think Florida struggled against LSU also. They only won by 10 and it should have been closer (Fla should thank the blind refs).
Old 10-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #392
Poe
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
All I am saying is everyone is saying We should be #1 because UF didn't look impressive, well I dont think Bama did either. but thats just my opinion

You guys are saying that UF only beat Ark. by this many look we beat them by this much, therefore we are better

I guess what it comes down to is that UF beat Bama last year in the Championship game. Thats why they should be number 1
I said there isn't a clear cut number 1. Most people (in the media) say that bama has been more impressive is what i said (I agree with them but that doesn't matter). If people want to put bama #1 because as a whole we have been more impressive, i'm fine with that. If people want to put FL number 1 because they started there and have done nothing to lose that ranking then i'm fine with that. I will all work out in December (or before as anything can happen in the sec).
Old 10-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #393
Poe
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
I think Florida struggled against LSU also. They only won by 10 and it should have been closer (Fla should thank the blind refs).
I've heard that the officiating crew for the Florida Arkansas game was the same crew as the LSU Georgia game (with the horrible calls at the end of the game). Anyone know if it was that same crew for Florida LSU?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #394
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Florida should be #1 until someone beats them. That hasn't happened for 20 games.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #395
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Florida should be #1 until someone beats them. That hasn't happened for 20 games.
I hate to have to agree with you.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #396
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Alabama's next 2 games I think will say it all, who should be number one or number two. Alabama is VERY good, Florida is VERY good. Like Icehog has said, until someone beats Florida, I think they should continue to be number one based upon the outcome of last year. Just remember last year Utah at the end of Alabama's season won by what 20 points where as Florida won the BCS title game =D. Regardless we all can agree the winner of the SEC Champonship game will be the top dog.

Side note...what's with all this crap about Boise State, Iowa and all these non BCS conference teams and their talk? Just because no one wants to travel to play their doesn't mean you can't schedule a game at say Alabama. Take a look at Hawaii, 2007 undefeated, plays Georgia gets crushed. Florida's first game last season and they get crushed again. Maybe those teams and step up like Hawaii and play a true SEC game =D
Old 10-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #397
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

This is all the polls are really good for. you get all these folks talking about who the best is, but OUTSIDE the
ivy-covered walls, it's the rest of the fans who see, indeed, FLA struggled against two straight opponents.
Bama hasn't really struggled. They had a bad game this past weekend, FLA has had two. Both won, both struggled.
Coaches who have a vote vote whatever way they lean, Press people see all the games and talk about them all week
on the phone, write about it and read about it. FLA is No. 1 til they lose, whether they are best or not.
Bama needs to come together like the Saints and play as a team and maybe then they can win the championship.
FLA needs to play a game like they have for two weeks running and not get any help to win. Then all will be right.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #398
Poe
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
This is all the polls are really good for. you get all these folks talking about who the best is,.
Agreed, this is why I love college football so much.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #399
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
Just because no one wants to travel to play their doesn't mean you can't schedule a game at say Alabama. Take a look at Hawaii, 2007 undefeated, plays Georgia gets crushed. Florida's first game last season and they get crushed again. Maybe those teams and step up like Hawaii and play a true SEC game =D
This was what Jeff Bower did at Southern Mississippi, and really, it was ongoing well before that.
The Golden Eagles used to play one or two top teams every year, and they would take some lickins'
and they would scare some top teams and they would beat a fair amount, too. SEC teams almost every year,
big east...Florida State was a top
team when I was in Hattiesburg and they whipped em at home in the 'burg. Bobby Bowden had to have
been pissed. Stat hounds can look up old football scheds and see what transpired over the years.
But football across the country is like a bunch of Petri dishes and stuff grows over here and some stuff
grows over there. It's only
(lately) when you come into the SEC that you get to see what tough and fast looks like. Hell, I still
hold LSU as an outside chance to make it all the way.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #400
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Actually, I don't think I've seen anyone say we should be #1. And what should last year have to do with the price of eggs in China anyway? Isn't this this year?

Most Alabama fans are pretty reasonable fans...we know the deal. I do think we're a better team than Florida at this point and many, many people--even those outside of the Alabama family--obviously agree. Many obviously don't. Rankings don't mean jack until the final one anyway.

Hopefully both teams remain undefeated and we get to square off again in Atlanta. If we do, I like our chances. A lot.
Closed Thread