Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #41
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Am I still..."man"?

I like the thought of the low carbs making you more tolerant to nicotine because of he constant level of blood glucose. This is very intersting and making me think a lot about it. My only conclusion was the more exposure to nicotine the greater your tolerance. Your nicotinic receptors in your body would need more nicotine to be satisfied.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #42
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I like the thought of the low carbs making you more tolerant to nicotine because of he constant level of blood glucose. This is very intersting and making me think a lot about it. My only conclusion was the more exposure to nicotine the greater your tolerance. Your nicotinic receptors in your body would need more nicotine to be satisfied.
That's the interesting thing. I more or less quit smoking for quite some years, but when I picked it back up again and immediately hit a herf, my tolerance levels were still the same - eg, no really apparent upper limit as far as I can tell.

I'm sure if I inhaled I'd be in trouble, and I've also noticed that if I mix cigars with large amounts of alcohol, caffeine and/or greasy or sugary/starchy processed food (which I normally do not eat at all), I'll be sick. But I'm not sure how much the cigars have to do with that, since I'll feel like utter crap if I indulge in those things to excess whether I'm smoking or not.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #43
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
That's the interesting thing. I more or less quit smoking for quite some years, but when I picked it back up again and immediately hit a herf, my tolerance levels were still the same - eg, no really apparent upper limit as far as I can tell.

I'm sure if I inhaled I'd be in trouble, and I've also noticed that if I mix cigars with large amounts of alcohol, caffeine and/or greasy or sugary/starchy processed food (which I normally do not eat at all), I'll be sick. But I'm not sure how much the cigars have to do with that, since I'll feel like utter crap if I indulge in those things to excess whether I'm smoking or not.
I agree on the food thing. If you don't eat it normally then once you introduce it to your body you will get sick...

I wonder if there is any psychological aspect to the nicotine tolerance? What about the nicotine receptors in the body? Just because you stopped smoking does not mean the receptors reverted back to how they were.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #44
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I agree on the food thing. If you don't eat it normally then once you introduce it to your body you will get sick...
Real low tolerance for junk food. Half a candy bar or a bite of some processed junk food sweet will make me think about hurling, more than that and I probably will hurl.

Quote:
I wonder if there is any psychological aspect to the nicotine tolerance? What about the nicotine receptors in the body? Just because you stopped smoking does not mean the receptors reverted back to how they were.
No idea. I have never been a daily smoker (until quite recently) or even a very frequent smoker. At herfs I've always puffed like a chimney, but between herfs, my frequency used to be maybe once a week or so, if that. Then for quite some years, maybe once every few months.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #45
ratpack

Sooo--your getting swimmy headed! My advice to you is to start drinking heavily!!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #46
bookman

Also, I have been hitting the french press pretty hard lately...

I just smoked a Monte Peruvian Fer de Lance without my java and I feel fine. This is a slightly stronger Monte, I'm told. I think it might be the coffee after all...

Might switch to decaf.

Last edited by bookman; 07-15-2009 at 10:43 PM.