Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2009, 03:44 AM   #21
kaelaria
Cigarobsession.com Baby!

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann
kaelaria is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Non Lethal Self Protection Advice

Big Dog.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:47 AM   #22
SmokeyNL

How about 12 gauge bean bag loads or just good old 12 ga rock salt loads?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:04 AM   #23
Flat4boxer
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (4)
Montecristo Army (Retired)
Flat4boxer will become famous soon enough

The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior. When he gets out, he will be back in your MILs yard and at some point will assault someone again.

If your MIL is like mine, a bit older and somewhat feeble, whatever less than lethal device she has may be taken from her and used against her.

There have been alot of good suggestions thus far and I think a good sized "sic balls" type dog is probably your best bet at this point.

Beyond that she will need a gun, the proper training on how to use it and the mental attitude to use it with deadly intention should it come to that. If she cannot bring herself to do that a gun is not an option at all because as I stated above, it may be taken from her and used against her.

I hate that you even have to come to others seeking this advise but it is the world we live in. Always remember, when seconds count, the police are minutes away.

Last edited by Flat4boxer; 07-10-2009 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Edit: Spelling
Flat4boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:40 AM   #24
BillyCigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
"...Shooting him in the leg or the crotch isn't likely to kill him".
Actually, that's exactly where the femoral artery is located. Damage the femoral artery and he'll be a goner in minutes.

To the OP, I would be sure that those surveillance cameras were re-installed (assuming they haven't already since the one was ripped down), get a restraining order (violating this will demonstrate a patter of behavior and leave a paper trail as to your in-laws trying legal means (on paper) to defend themselves), and sign her/them up for a gun safety course at the local gun range. This will give her familiarity when handling a weapon and confidence from practice. Additionally, be sure she keeps the certificate of completion in case she ever needs to resort to deadly force and is asked to appear in court.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:45 AM   #25
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Handgun. Double Tap to center of mass. I know she doesn't want lethal force, but if the guy is mentally crazy AND has a history of assault, I would not bet my life on Tazers, pepper spray, dogs, clubs, etc. They probably won't work. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck. I hope everything turns out okay and this piece of scum doesn't bother her.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:30 AM   #26
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrplasencia View Post
how about a bean bag round for a shotgun? it'll stop without killing him.

http://www.keepshooting.com/ammuniti...nd-shotgun.htm

or how about a stun baton? 800,000 volts!!
http://www.selfdefenseweapons.com/stun-baton.htm

or you could go old fashioned with some kind of mean dog or gator
I say get a dog...you get a new family friend and theif scarer awayer..
Old 07-10-2009, 06:10 AM   #27
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I say get a dog...you get a new family friend and theif scarer awayer..
Big, Mean Dog would be my best advice. Good Luck!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #28
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

evil sharks with frikin lasers attached to their heads
Old 07-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #29
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

One other great non lethal self protection device is a tall fence with a key locked gate. If he climbs the fence he is fair game to be taken out by any means necessary, lethal or non lethal. Check local laws, she very well could have more legal problems(civil) turning a dog on him than killing him in self defense.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #30
SchizoFilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
One other great non lethal self protection device is a tall fence with a key locked gate. If he climbs the fence he is fair game to be taken out by any means necessary, lethal or non lethal. Check local laws, she very well could have more legal problems(civil) turning a dog on him than killing him in self defense.
Sadly enough this is probably more correct. Although if he falls off the fence trying to climb over it there are some lawyers who will get your in-laws money for the guy. Dogs can be poisoned or get you into trouble if they bite someone, even an intruder.

I understand the MIL not wanting to use lethal force, but it is the only guarantee that this guy will stop. There has already been a pattern of violence and the in-laws just knowing of this pattern could be enough to make the case for them feeling a threat of eminent physical harm with the possibility of death, because you never know when good ol' crazy turns into murderous rage. Two rounds through the chest. Hollow points would be my recommendation.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #31
Martin
Sweetness

Trading: (2)
Martin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelaria View Post
Big Dog.
X2
Old 07-10-2009, 07:10 AM   #32
Martin
Sweetness

Trading: (2)
Martin is on a distinguished road

Last year a local Brother saw the whacko neighbour talking to his 6 year old daughter outside his home, he went outside asked the kid to go inside told the guy to have a nice day, turned to go inside himself and was stabbed in the back twice with a 8" butcher knife. He wrestled the knife off the guy called the cops. The whacko ran home & committed suicide, had a history of illness, was off his meds, you know the story.

You just can't tell what people with a mental illness will fixate on, better to be safe than sorry. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. IMHO
Old 07-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #33
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelaria View Post
Big Dog.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #34
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

This is made by an extremely reputable company.

http://www.pepperblaster.com/

They carry them at adventure outdoors which is not too far from where you live.

http://www.advout.com/

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #35
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Albert, you've received a lot of good advice here. What I would ask your MIL is who would she rather have dead, the psycho, or herself? That question typically puts things into perspective.

I'm assuming the wacko is renting? Any possibility of talking to his landlord about terminating his lease?

Living in fear is no way to live. Good luck with your family's decision my friend.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #36
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Big well trained protection dog, motion detector lights, wall between the properties.

Personally I like shotguns with buckshot, but if your MIL doesn't, make it hard for the guy to even get close to her.

Or his house could accidentally burn down while he's in jail.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #37
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

One more thing that is good knowledge for everyone here not just Albert is if you are in a situation like this go visit your local police station. Tell them you are scared. They will make their presence known for you, especially if you come back a few times with goodies. Sandwiches, wings, whatever can go a long way.

Also make sure all of your neighbors are aware of what happened. They will look out their windows more often. I also guarantee one of her neighbors will end a situation permanently if it escalates.

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #38
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

[quote=md4958;458477] I'm assuming the wacko is renting? Any possibility of talking to his landlord about terminating his lease?QUOTE]

Good call, rental leases generally contain a provision which prevent tenants from distrubing their neighbors. A violation of such provision would be cause for breaching the lease. Also, since he is currently in jail, he probably isn't paying his rent. If he is renting, make sure that your MIL informs the landlord in writing of their tenants actions and reminds them that they she will hold them liable for their tenants actions (since they have prior knowledge of their tenant's actions and mental condition).

Either way, I would still get a big dog (and keep a loaded shotgun handy).

Best of luck!
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #39
Hippi3Slay3r
ಥ_ಥ

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (22)
Bolivar
Hippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enoughHippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enough

If the guys got the crazys you might wanna look into less lethal vs non. If hes made up his mind hes comeing for you non lethals will more then likely piss him off evan more, Where as a nicely placed 12ga stingball or beanbag round will put him on his a$$.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #40
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

The beanbag rounds and shotguns seem like excellent suggestions, but can any of you really picture your mother or mother-in-law carrying around a shotgun with them while gardening?

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote