Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough
Default Any tabletop gamers here?

Yeah yeah, I go old school roll dice and talk geeky **** for hours with friends, so sue me

Anyway, are there any old school gamers around here that still play? If so, what do yall play? Myself, I'm a D&D player...2nd, 2.5 (AD&D) and 3.5 editions. Don't much care for 4E yet, but I'm working into it more.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any tabletop gamers here?

Yep. And I agree with you about 4E. They streamlined the combat system in a way that's not half bad, since I'm more interested in the character and plot development than fiddling with game mechanics. But they more or less reduced the rest of the game to a MMORPG for kids with a five minute attention span. Not my speed.

Currently running an original-world steampunk and sorcery campaign online, and it's a fun one. Was most recently in a D20 Modern tabletop game, but need to get another gaming group together where I live now in Raleigh.

I'll play D&D, CoC, WoD, Champions, Paranoia, GURPS, Ironclaw, D20, 7th Sea, Shadowrun, Star Wars and just about anything else that has a decent world setting and plot possibilities.

Last edited by TanithT; 07-08-2009 at 01:13 AM.
TanithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar

What's this I hear about WotC rescinding the D20 gaming system so that no one but them can publish under it's name? I've been out of the news loop for about 4 months.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

HdM

Wizards of the Coast are giant dicks, and they sold out completely to some big toy making chain a long time ago. Their current execs care about the profit line and marketing the game to the new kiddies. They definitely don't care about the game itself, and we're much too old a target market for their current plans.

I don't keep very current with what WotC is doing, but nothing would really surprise me.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
foomanto
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
foomanto is on a distinguished road

been playing d&d for about 20 years. don't care for 4th ed. currently playing in a custom world using 3.5 rules. played warhammer, rifts, shadowrun, gurps, call of cthulhu, torg, you name it ive probably played it. been playing with the group i'm in now for about 8 years plus or minus a few other players. the group has had 16 players at one time.
foomanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I used to play Strat-O-Matic and other dice baseball games, as well as Subbuteo tabletop soccer.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Started D&D in 7th grade, with AD&D 2.5 Ed. Later in Highschool moved on to 3rd Ed and 3.5 ed. Never tried 4th, but from what I hear it kinda sucks.

I am currently running a 3.5 ed. Ravenloft Campaign, but I've run Eberron, Forgotten Realms, and other Generic homebrew settings. Ravenloft is my favorite so far.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
earnold25
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (8)
Bolivar
earnold25 is on a distinguished road

haven't rocked any RPG's in forever, but I worked at Games Workshop for like 5 years. Needless to say I have tons of their stuff
earnold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foomanto View Post
the group has had 16 players at one time.
How the eff do you manage 16 players in an RPG? Unless it was a LARP?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

This thread makes me wanna start/ be a part of a CA Play by Post or something...
Old 07-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #11
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

HdM

Could be done. I've been running online text based interactives for a good many years now.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Anyone have any interest? I'd love to play in one...D&D and a Cigar always make a good combo!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
foomanto
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
foomanto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
How the eff do you manage 16 players in an RPG? Unless it was a LARP?
no larp. had a couple of players that decided to bring in there wives witch caused other players to bring in there girl friends and friends of the girl friends to keep them interested that lasted for about 6 months. for some reason our dm would not say no. most of the women lost interest and the herd soon thinned we are now down to 6.
foomanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #14
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Does Scrabble count? I loves me some Scrabble.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #15
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
Does Scrabble count? I loves me some Scrabble.
Scrabble is the cat's own Drunken scrabble using only the Urban Dictionary (or Star Wars Names, or some other esoteric and unusual word list) is even more fun!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #16
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foomanto View Post
no larp. had a couple of players that decided to bring in there wives witch caused other players to bring in there girl friends and friends of the girl friends to keep them interested that lasted for about 6 months. for some reason our dm would not say no. most of the women lost interest and the herd soon thinned we are now down to 6.
Oh hells no. It's not necessarily a gender thing; I tend to have about as many female players as male when I do tabletop games. But there is *no* bringing of wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends or children. Players only at the gaming table. If you do not have a character, your own d20's and a serious interest in the plotline, go find something else to do. Distractions make for a bad game, and indifferent players are worse than that. I'm not surprised the herd thinned down.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #17
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Anyone have any interest? I'd love to play in one...D&D and a Cigar always make a good combo!
I already run a "steampunk and sorcery" game online, in a text based interactive format. The system is a storytelling based homebrew, with some percentile based skill checks, and I have the dice generator programmed into the MUCK software we're using. It's got a full cast at the moment, but you could drop me a note if you're seriously interested in committing your Tuesday evenings to a steampunk game.

I could indeed run a play-by-post RPG game here, though to catch maximum interest from this crew I'd suggest something like a murder mystery in an Old West, 1920's or modern setting, with cigars prominently featured. Experienced players would design their own characters and be given specific background information that those characters would know. Less experienced players could opt to be handed a pre-generated character with personalities, motivations, contacts among the other characters, and pieces of crucial information about the mystery.

The game would essentially be about interacting with the other characters and asking the right questions to put the pieces of the puzzle together before the deadline, when time runs out and the murderer gets away in triumph.

If there's sufficient interest I'll put it together and post it up. Might have to make it a cigar pool while we're at it; first winning PM to solve the crime based on the logic of the evidence presented takes the pool. If the mystery is not solved by the deadline, I post the evidence that was missed so everyone can see what questions they could have asked in order to win, and the pool is mine. It will be a fair game, and doing the right things in a reasonably logical sequence or asking the right questions will yield the correct answer.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #18
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
I already run a "steampunk and sorcery" game online, in a text based interactive format. The system is a storytelling based homebrew, with some percentile based skill checks, and I have the dice generator programmed into the MUCK software we're using. It's got a full cast at the moment, but you could drop me a note if you're seriously interested in committing your Tuesday evenings to a steampunk game.

I could indeed run a play-by-post RPG game here, though to catch maximum interest from this crew I'd suggest something like a murder mystery in an Old West, 1920's or modern setting, with cigars prominently featured. Experienced players would design their own characters and be given specific background information that those characters would know. Less experienced players could opt to be handed a pre-generated character with personalities, motivations, contacts among the other characters, and pieces of crucial information about the mystery.

The game would essentially be about interacting with the other characters and asking the right questions to put the pieces of the puzzle together before the deadline, when time runs out and the murderer gets away in triumph.

If there's sufficient interest I'll put it together and post it up. Might have to make it a cigar pool while we're at it; first winning PM to solve the crime based on the logic of the evidence presented takes the pool. If the mystery is not solved by the deadline, I post the evidence that was missed so everyone can see what questions they could have asked in order to win, and the pool is mine. It will be a fair game, and doing the right things in a reasonably logical sequence or asking the right questions will yield the correct answer.

I would love to play! I havent played DnD since ummm 20 years ago? (damn I am old) I would love to play but I would need a brush up on how to...

I am game for DnD or what you have posted...

Last edited by kgoings; 07-08-2009 at 10:00 PM.
kgoings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #19
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Wow, dropped in to see what was going on, and all I see is a bunch of sanskrit.

Col. Kurtz checking out... Obviously hasn't a clue.

Cheers!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #20
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

HdM

Cool beans. A couple of caveats on the rules, so folks can get an idea of how it's run. The house (eg, the DM) is not allowed to win unless all the players agree that the mystery was logically solvable with the evidence that they had available to them as a group. Not all players will start with all pieces of the evidence; it will be divided up and players may need to interview each other to put all the pieces together. The DM's boyfriend (sorry Rob) can play for fun, but is disqualified from winning.

Oh yes. And one of you may be designated to be the murderer. If that turns out to be the scenario, then the murderer is the one who wins if he or she is not caught. In that case the DM can't win, but also doesn't have to ante up cigars.

What should the ante be? One cigar? A fiver? And what era would people like to play in? Who's in for a murder mystery pool?