Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Junior

Default Another FedEx question

As some of you may know I got a box a few weeks ago that should have had a laptop in it, but it was empty. Well this morning I got my replacement in, and the driver wouldn’t let me open it until I signed for it. I did sign for it with the condition that he witnesses it, and it was all there. Does that sound right because I thought you could open it, and refuse it if it was damaged?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Another FedEx question

In my experiences you should be able to inspect the package before you sign for it. Once you sign you have accepted responsibility for the package. Once your signature is on there anything that happens/or already happened to the package is your responsibility.

I believe he was in the wrong for giving you grief!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

You can only inspect the overall condition of the box looking for holes, squishing etc. You can't open it until you sign because it isn't your property yet.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
You can only inspect the overall condition of the box looking for holes, squishing etc. You can't open it until you sign because it isn't your property yet.
That's what he told me, but I have opened with UPS before. I just didn't know, and it didn't matter in the end.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
That's what he told me, but I have opened with UPS before. I just didn't know, and it didn't matter in the end.
UPS was being really nice. With UPS, FedEx or any freight company they are on the hook until you accept the shipment, with or without a signature depends on the exact shipment. So if you don't sign and open it and break it they could still be on the hook. Heck FedEx/UPS throw a **** fit if US Customs opens a package and doesn't have their tape to prove they opened it and not the company or it's employees.

I used to work in a warehouse in receiving and I can think of only a handful of times that something was damaged without noticeable damage to the packaging. I think in all those cases the product was shipped from source damaged and not the fault of the freight company. So give it a good lookover and sign for it.

EDIT: Some freight shipments are contracted to be opened with both parties present. This isn't the case AFAIK with normal FedEx/UPS.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Tarks
Need to make a purchase!!

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tarks is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you finally got your laptop, in 1 piece!!
Tarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Most will only let you open before signing off on it if there is visible damage.

Regardless, your driver sounds like a real gem.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Junior

He was not my normal driver, but he was just doing his job. Everyjob has rules, and I didn't know this one.