Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough
Default Chatanooga?

Anyone in here from around Chatanooga area? I've been considering moving to the area and I'm curious what it's like. Good areas, bad areas, any input at all
Old 03-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Chatanooga?

I know BigDawgFan lives in Chattanooga, though it appears he has been MIA for a while http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/member.php?u=549

Maybe a PM will rouse him

From what I have seen of Chattanooga it is a cool little town but I have been mainly in the touristy parts.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
andrew

I had family in the area growing up and would visit them on occasion. What little I remember about it, it looks as though there were some bad spots, but for the most part it didn't seem too bad. I know there's lots of pretty country out that way. And I'm sure some good fishing.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Get a hold of the chamber of commerce and see if they can send you a bunch of information that would be pertinent to someone interested in moving to the area.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
Get a hold of the chamber of commerce and see if they can send you a bunch of information that would be pertinent to someone interested in moving to the area.
Already got all the brochures, just wanted some personal opinions.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Trading: (0)
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

i live in nashville and my wife and i have visited chattanooga a few times and love it there. very pretty scenery, the downtown area has been re-vitalized and we've had some good restaurant experience there as well. chattanooga billiards is cigar friendly and has a cigar store attached, i think.

we've even discussed moving there ourselves.
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I don't live there either, but I've been through it plenty of times. Great things to do there. Minor league baseball team, aquarium, mountains, Ruby Falls, Lookout Mountain, beautiful area outside of town. A lot of the town that you can see from the interstate looks in bad shape, such as the big U.S. Pipe factory that is being torn down, but I'm assuming along the interstate downtown isn't a residential area.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

More importantly, how are the girls in Chattanooga?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

One thing to consider is what state has the best tax structure, Tennessee or Georgia. For example, Tennessee does not have state income tax, except on dividends and interest income. Depending on which side of Chattanooga you would be working on, you can easily live in either state, since Georgia state line is basically thru the south 1/3 of the city. Been thru the city a hundred times, but not much time spent there looking at residential areas. The big, new commercial area is east of town off I-75 North, at Hamilton Place (I think I remember the name right). Lots of Interstate construction just past (east of) that area, but most of work from that area into town seems to be completed. I-24 thru the center of town is a curvy, busy stretch, and the I-24/I-75 junction is ALWAYS busy. On the other hand, if you are working on the northeastern end of town, I-75 south runs into Georgia only about 3 miles south of the split, so which state to live in becomes a consideration there also. Not much happening southwest of town off I-24, much more rural in nature.

Great town for attractions. The freshwater Aquarium is excellent, and they're good about updating and changing the exhibits; Rock City is good the first time; the Incline is gut tightening; Never been to Ruby Falls; Spent several Boy Scout camping trips inside of Chickamauga National Park (a great place to visit, with a lot of bicycle riders - if your into riding). Your about 2 hours from Smokey Mountains National Park, about 30 minutes more to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area, and within a couple hours for several nice whitewater rafting locations.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
Tredegar
Sing along with me

Trading: (9)
Tredegar is on a distinguished road

My company is opening a facility in Chatanooga and several of the guys want to go there. If nothing else, to just get away from our facility.
Tredegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
SouthernSmoke
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (6)
Partagas
SouthernSmoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
One thing to consider is what state has the best tax structure, Tennessee or Georgia. For example, Tennessee does not have state income tax, except on dividends and interest income. Depending on which side of Chattanooga you would be working on, you can easily live in either state, since Georgia state line is basically thru the south 1/3 of the city. Been thru the city a hundred times, but not much time spent there looking at residential areas. The big, new commercial area is east of town off I-75 North, at Hamilton Place (I think I remember the name right). Lots of Interstate construction just past (east of) that area, but most of work from that area into town seems to be completed. I-24 thru the center of town is a curvy, busy stretch, and the I-24/I-75 junction is ALWAYS busy. On the other hand, if you are working on the northeastern end of town, I-75 south runs into Georgia only about 3 miles south of the split, so which state to live in becomes a consideration there also. Not much happening southwest of town off I-24, much more rural in nature.
All of this is extremely key to a decision. I have a very close friend that lives on Lookout Mountain (on the Georgia side). The new commercial area is in fact Hamilton Place (I drive through here at least twice a month on I-75). The city is nice; there are some sketchy areas on the south east side of town, but I thoroughly enjoy it there. If you are interested in stuff on Lookout Mountain, my friends father is a big real estate agent for the area. I can see what the property values and such are looking like. Just let me know if I could help you out, brotha
SouthernSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

The only thing I know about Chattanooga is my cousin used to be a news anchor there and Ive been there once when I was probably 5 or 6. Not much I remember from that trip, actually the only thing I vaguely remember is trip to the Jack Daniels distillery.

I would love to go back to Tennessee. Nashville and Gatlinberg are on the top of my list
Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 View Post
The only thing I know about Chattanooga is my cousin used to be a news anchor there and Ive been there once when I was probably 5 or 6. Not much I remember from that trip, actually the only thing I vaguely remember is trip to the Jack Daniels distillery.

I would love to go back to Tennessee. Nashville and Gatlinberg are on the top of my list
Nashville and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge are two of my favorite places in the world!

Insert quote here.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #14
fuente~fuente

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
i live in nashville and my wife and i have visited chattanooga a few times and love it there. very pretty scenery, the downtown area has been re-vitalized and we've had some good restaurant experience there as well. chattanooga billiards is cigar friendly and has a cigar store attached, i think.

we've even discussed moving there ourselves.
Burns has 2 locations... This place is EPIC. We go up to Chatty usally once every month or two just to specifically visit Burns Tobacconist. If I lived in Chatty, I'd be a member for sure.

Here's the linky---> http://www.cbcburns.com/

It's a gorgeous city... Small city feel with big city convenience. Downtown is pretty cool too. I'd move there with no qualms if I had to.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #15
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

Just wondering...has anyone seen the local Chattanooga news back around 2008 or earlier?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #16
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

No, but they have the best baseball cap!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 View Post
Just wondering...has anyone seen the local Chattanooga news back around 2008 or earlier?
How much earlier?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #18
catfish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
No, but they have the best baseball cap!

I know that it's all a matter of personal opinion but I always preferred Carolina myself.

I could be just bias though.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #19
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
How much earlier?
Im not sure lol...maybe a while

Have you heard of Marcia Kilng?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #20
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish2 View Post
I know that it's all a matter of personal opinion but I always preferred Carolina myself.

I could be just bias though.
Now that they're Reds affiliates, I like the Mudcats too. Got me one of them hats too.

Insert quote here.