Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-26-2008, 05:08 AM   #1
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about
Default Fiscal Responsibility

This has been on my mind for quite some time and only write this with the most heartfelt intentions.

I have noticed something that is a little disturbing to me but really none of my business but as a friend to many, I thought it best to express my views. (especially with newer/younger BOTLs)

The problem?

I've noticed many BOTLs who are over extended on their credit in the name of acquiring more cigars. I've heard some disturbing balances being maintained on their credit cards due to large number of purchases of cigars.

I believe that with the amount of discussions in the forums, pictures of collections being shown, crazy sales by retailers, that it is easy to get caught up in the "keeping with the Jones'" mentality but I would be remiss if I didn't express my concern.

PLEASE keep in mind that cigars are a hobby and should be BUDGETED for and is SOLELY based on disposable income. You SHOULD NOT be "investing" in cigars - they are a consumable that are susceptible to damage (fire, water, improper storage, beetles, theft, etc...).

People talk about a "cigar budget" and we all laugh when we blow that budget. But like any other aspect of your life, you REALLY should have a "cigar budget" and stick that budget the same as you would for emergency savings (6+ months), vacation savings, retirement, etc...

The senseless act of carrying credit card debt just to amass a cigar collect is not fiscally responsible and you are doing yourself a disservice in the long run.

The one thing that I have learned over the nearly 2 decades of being into cigars is that it's is not about the cigars. The cigars are just a compliment to the commaradarie. Yeah, the cigars are good but meeting new people and developing longer term friendships has been the best part of the hobby to me. There are many people that I now consider friends (some stay at my home) and I wouldn't have met them otherwise.

My point?

In the great scheme of the cigar community, cigar are meaningless and should not be coveted to the point where we throw away common sense and fiscal responsibility.

So please, take a step back and look at YOUR financial plan (if you don't have one, then make one!). It is your responsibility to take care of your financial security.

Happy smoking my friends.

~Mark

N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation
Default Re: Fiscal Responsibility

Me thinks Mark was looking in the mirror when he typed this

Seriously though,this is sage advice Mark.

Thanks for posting it
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
Ron1YY

Words of Wisedom that should be heeded!!!!!!

This should be a Sticky!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Thanks Mark. I have been thinking along the same lines myself and while I don't have a cigar budget per se, I believe I have a reasonable approach that works for me. I'm self employed and have a set number of clients that I can count on for a solid base income every week. Usually once or twice a month I have small jobs come in that aren't on my weekly schedule. I take half of the income from the "non-scheduled" work and that's what the wife and I use for splurge spending - I use mine to buy cigars.

I have never been able to wrap my mind around the whole "invest in cigars" thing. In my mind, "invest" means you're going to see a profit from your expenditure. When I buy cigars I know I'm not going to re-sell them so there is no profit.

Now I do admit that I have a small stockpile for future enjoyment, but that's different.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

Absolutely! Cash is king, debt is death...
Buena Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
BroncoHorvath
Life is Great !

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
Punch
BroncoHorvath is on a distinguished road

Great post Mark. Hopefully some of the people in those situations will take your advice seriously. Bottom line, don't spend money you don't have.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Great advise Mark!! Thanks. In 2 years of smoking cigars I have yet to charge any cigar, or cigar related purchase.

Unfortunately most who read this, will not reply because charging and paying the minimum monthly fee is the way of life in today's world.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Yep - good post. Also reminded me that I had another responsibility in a group buy on another board that I was remiss in (apologies Mark - taken care of).

Personally though - cigars are one of those things that I don't use the credit card on - but I already have a budget in place (mostly - )

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #9
rck70

Don't be Slave to the Lender........Cash is King....
Old 11-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

100% agree... I haven't charged any cigar purchases. Ever. If I don't have the money in my checking account and enough to cover what else needs to be taken care of, I'm not buying... plain and simple.

Well written post, Mark
Old 11-26-2008, 06:31 AM   #11
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Nice post sir! Now..... I can't wait for your Black Friday sale..
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #12
Redbaron
Blank

Trading: (1)
HdM
Redbaron is on a distinguished road

Great post MArk!

I learned along time ago from some wise older BOTL, if you cant afford what your smoking you won't trully enjoy the cigar.

The other lesson learned over the years is, and your 100% right MArk, its not about the cigar, its about the experiance. The experiance of bonding with great BOTL and relaxing. I've been extremely lucky to try some cigars, that I could never afford and I trully appreciate the guys that allowed me to take a puff here and there.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:35 AM   #13
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Well said Mark. Cigars are a luxury and not a necessity.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:47 AM   #14
Tombstone

If anyone is interested in getting out of debt...I suggest Dave Ramsey's plan. I followed his suggestions and paid off about 17k of debt in 6 months. Debt is dumb, cash is king, and the paid off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW, as the status symbol of choice!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:49 AM   #15
rck70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
If anyone is interested in getting out of debt...I suggest Dave Ramsey's plan. I followed his suggestions and paid off about 17k of debt in 6 months. Debt is dumb, cash is king, and the paid off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW, as the status symbol of choice!

Live like no one else so later you can LIVE like no on else
Old 11-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #16
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Is there a specific book or website or something you recommend for this?

Edited to add: Also, as a retailer, I think that Mark has a unique and useful insight into this.

Last edited by Tenor CS; 11-26-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Tenor CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #17
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor CS View Post
Is there a specific book or website or something you recommend for this?

Edited to add: Also, as a retailer, I think that Mark has a unique and useful insight into this.
Try the links below. If you are motivated and follow his rules it will work!!

http://www.daveramsey.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Money-Ma...7709042&sr=8-1
Old 11-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #18
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

How'd I know you'd be in here Tombstone?
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #19
auburnfan1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1YY View Post
Words of Wisedom that should be heeded!!!!!!

This should be a Sticky!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed....a sticky this must become. This is a hard lesson I've had to learn and over the past few months, sat down, faced the harsh realization that at the rate I was spending, more money was going out than was coming in. I, too, felt the need to "keep up with the Joneses," and this is not necessary with the fine folks on this forum. Let me say that again: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO OVEREXTEND YOURSELF FINANCIALLY TO KEEP UP WITH EVERYONE ELSE'S CIGAR COLLECTION!!! We will all "ooooh! and ahhhh!" over it, but take it from someone who knows...you will hurt in the end. There are some great people on this board who could honestly care less whether or not you have 2,000 premium cigars or 2 bargain sticks in your humidor....they just appreciate your friendship. If this place ever had any sort of "elitist" feel to it, I'd certainly not be here. During this time of Thanksgiving, i'm thankful for a place to meet with like-minded individuals for a few moments of each day. I hope all of you have a very safe and happy holiday with your families, and as always....smoke 'em IF you've got em!

Jason
Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #20
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
How'd I know you'd be in here Tombstone?
Great minds think alike.