Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Any professional photographers here?

If so, how did you get into your line of work? A little background to go with my question. I've been into photography as a hobby ever since I was a kid. I've been dissatisfied with my current work situation (or lack thereof! lol) and was thinking of going into a field doing something that I enjoy.

Anyways, what kind of schools are there specifically geared towards training someone in this field? I know that many colleges and universities offer some classes in photography. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: Any professional photographers here?

Good luck to you! Unless you really luck out and get an industrial job, most jobs are in the wedding area- a tough field.

There is a book: Photographer's Market- that lists opportunities in the field mostly for free lancers.

http://www.amazon.com/2011-Photograp...7011911&sr=8-1
Old 10-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Brother, save yourself some time, trouble and heartache, photography is a poor employer. All of our specialized skills have been computerized and anyone can, or thinks they can, do most of it themselves, rendering pros almost extinct. If you're gonna pursue photography, I would recommend that you do it for yourself because photography is something that most people don't want to pay for. I belonged to a gallery, had shows, won awards, and all I was ever able to do was earn a little pocket change; art does not pay the bills. Even in the best of economic times, there are dozens of applicants for every staff photography job opening, and like hotreds stated; wedding photography is a tough field that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
CigarDisciple
Livin Life as it comes

First Name: Sam
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
CigarDisciple is on a distinguished road

I did wedding photography for 10 yrs and SubVet42 is right. As it has evolved to digital photography and they became available they quit hiring professionals because they thought they could do better also the cost of digital photography is quite costly. If it is your dream though go for it and good luck.
CigarDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote