Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do you do what you love for work?

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones ... totally love my job ... look forward to it every day.

I've made it to the top of my profession after 32 years. Sure, the pay is nice and everyone treats me like I know what I'm doing. However, the best part is that I'm at that point in my career where I can pick and choose what I want to do and delegate the rest to someone else. Love the hard stuff, the challenging stuff, the kind of stuff that totally absorbs you. The job is pretty stressful but I seem to thrive on it. I'd hate to have one of those jobs where you watched the clock. If anything, I don't seem to have enough hours in my day.

The one danger of my job is that it can consume you 24/7 if you let it. I really try to leave everything at work but I know better. It's always there. I'm always thinking about some problem or idea. I usually don't talk about it at home, but after a long weekend, I chomping at the bit to get back to work.

I'm probably in no danger of retiring early. First, I need the health insurance because I'm falling apart. But, the real reason is that I really don't know what I'd do with myself if I retired. I always tell folks that when I leave, it will be feet first.

As much as I love my job, it's kind of scary how much it defines who I am. It's also a little sad to think about some of the other things in my life that have been short-changed because of it.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote