Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default Book Launch

If there is another spot for this I apologize, can you please move it? For any of you interested in history/american civil war/medicine/first person accounts, I had my book titled: Death, Disease, and Life at War: The Civil War Letters of Surgeon James D. Benton, 111th and 98th New York Infantry Regiments, 1862-1865 published in January 2018. I am trying to garner interest in it again in an effort to reach fifty (50) reviews on Amazon. With their current algorithm, the more reviews a book has the more people it gets seen by, hopefully equating to more sales.

Please pass the word along to anyone you think might be interested in reading it and if you have already read it, thank you, please consider leaving a quick star rating or review on Amazon. It would be greatly

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Disease...s%2C239&sr=8-1

Last edited by icehog3; 03-25-2020 at 09:55 AM.
gettysburgfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Book Launch

I just bought a copy. I don't read quite as much as I used to and I am in the middle of a book now. Soon as I get to it I will review it buddy.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #3
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
I just bought a copy. I don't read quite as much as I used to and I am in the middle of a book now. Soon as I get to it I will review it buddy.
Thank you! I really appreciate your support and hope you find it a good read.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #4
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
Thank you! I really appreciate your support and hope you find it a good read.
You're welcome. obviously I am not as versed as you on history, but I do enjoy learning more about the Civil War, and our history in general. Looking forward to reading it!!!!
Old 03-25-2020, 09:44 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I am a huge Civil War enthusiast, reading the 4 volumes entitled "The Civil War". I am in the first volume, subtitled, "The First Year". it is letters, articles, etc... and is excellent. I read one or two articles/letters per day.

I will put aside some $$ in the future to purchase your volume as it is very intriguing.

I have visited quite a number of battlefields, read numerous accounts, and different histories. When one truly understands what the average soldier went through it is truly amazing.

I know it is historical fiction, but Newt Ginrich's 3 volumes, beginning with "Gettysburg," give a good graphic depiction of what the carnage of battle was truly like.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:18 PM   #6
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I am a huge Civil War enthusiast, reading the 4 volumes entitled "The Civil War". I am in the first volume, subtitled, "The First Year". it is letters, articles, etc... and is excellent. I read one or two articles/letters per day.

I will put aside some $$ in the future to purchase your volume as it is very intriguing.

I have visited quite a number of battlefields, read numerous accounts, and different histories. When one truly understands what the average soldier went through it is truly amazing.

I know it is historical fiction, but Newt Ginrich's 3 volumes, beginning with "Gettysburg," give a good graphic depiction of what the carnage of battle was truly like.
Thank you for your interest in my work. I completely agree with your assessment regarding the average soldier. It is quite fascinating what they went through on a daily basis. I never got into fiction but I have heard others say that his books were pretty good.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in my work. I completely agree with your assessment regarding the average soldier. It is quite fascinating what they went through on a daily basis. I never got into fiction but I have heard others say that his books were pretty good.
I get not being into fiction, but his trilogy upends Gettysburg and... Seriously, you should read them.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Guess what I had delivered to my place today...
Yeah, have a little bit of time for reading next week, as I will be taking a few days off. So, I figure a good cigar, a couple fingers of something, and this...

Old 04-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Very cool, Todd! Looking forward to your review!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:37 PM   #10
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Guess what I had delivered to my place today...
Yeah, have a little bit of time for reading next week, as I will be taking a few days off. So, I figure a good cigar, a couple fingers of something, and this...

Thats a good looking book! Thank you again for your support of my book, I really hope you enjoy the read. If you want a signed book plate for it send me a message and I will send one out to you.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:41 PM   #11
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I am about 75% through it. I find it interesting because I certainly knew there were surgeons in the war and I knew that they did a LOT of amputations. I never knew much about them other than that. To read the letters to his family and get a little more sense of the human side of it is good.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:54 AM   #12
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Very nice hit on a great guy and congrats again on your book!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:35 AM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Ummm, not sure anybody hit anybody... I just bought his book!
Old 04-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #14
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

This is cool!! Not taking away from your book - you should PM TikiHut27 He published a book on the 27th (New York)
You guys might have a lot to discuss!!

Cant wait to read your book!
Old 05-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #15
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Thank you Adam, much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #16
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conch Republican View Post
This is cool!! Not taking away from your book - you should PM TikiHut27 He published a book on the 27th (New York)
You guys might have a lot to discuss!!

Cant wait to read your book!

Very cool, I will have to get in touch with him, thanks for the heads up and thanks for your interest in my work.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #17
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
I am about 75% through it. I find it interesting because I certainly knew there were surgeons in the war and I knew that they did a LOT of amputations. I never knew much about them other than that. To read the letters to his family and get a little more sense of the human side of it is good.
It's amazing what the surgeons had to go through during the war, pretty much learning on the job. A lot went to medical school prior to the war but it basically consisted of lectures and no hands on experience like there is today. Please consider leaving a review and star rating on Amazon once you are finished, reviews help generate more book exposure according to Amazons algorithm.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #18
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
It's amazing what the surgeons had to go through during the war, pretty much learning on the job. A lot went to medical school prior to the war but it basically consisted of lectures and no hands on experience like there is today. Please consider leaving a review and star rating on Amazon once you are finished, reviews help generate more book exposure according to Amazons algorithm.
Of course I will my friend.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #19
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

OK, finished up to the beginning of the chapter "1863."

I am not quite sure what I expected from the book, I have read many compilations of letter and/or diaries from US history, covering especially the days of fur traders, the westering frontier, and Revolutionary and Civil Wars.

What I have read so far is interesting. I am fairly conversant with much of Civil War history, being sort of nerd-ish on the topic, but it is great what you do in the footnotes to give background info on certain things/people, especially helpful for those who do not know all those details. I also appreciated the Introduction.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #20
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
OK, finished up to the beginning of the chapter "1863."

I am not quite sure what I expected from the book, I have read many compilations of letter and/or diaries from US history, covering especially the days of fur traders, the westering frontier, and Revolutionary and Civil Wars.

What I have read so far is interesting. I am fairly conversant with much of Civil War history, being sort of nerd-ish on the topic, but it is great what you do in the footnotes to give background info on certain things/people, especially helpful for those who do not know all those details. I also appreciated the Introduction.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Thanks Todd, hopefully you get bookplate in one piece and not bent, I tried to protect it as best I could.