Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-03-2008, 05:06 AM   #41
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Port Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
I must continue my quest for 6 grapes. someone in town must have it
Or look for Broadbent's Auction Reserve which is made by Niepoort. Niepoort is one of the finest brands around, yet is not readily available in USA on their own name. Mostly Europe. 6 Grapes is nothing to lose sleep over.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #42
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

I've never had an expensive port (over $25) that hasn't been worth the money but there are many less expensive ports ($15 - 25) that are enjoyable also. I remember a fishing trip one January a few years back when the temperatures actually dropped into the 30's in Louisiana. As we were headed back to the dock one of the guys pulled out a hip flask filled with "gasp" Benjamin's. It tasted good in that situation. (Our guide, who did not participate in the Benjamins tasting as he was driving the boat, passed out shots of Gentleman Jack once we were ashore.)

I currently have a bottle of Dow's LBV 2000 that's open and another that is collecting dust in a dark, cool place.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #43
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

How is that Gent's Jack? I saw that in the liquor store the other day for the first time.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #44
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
How is that Gent's Jack? I saw that in the liquor store the other day for the first time.
Better then Jack Daniels Black
Old 12-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #45
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

fxpose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I picked up a bottle of this for $26.99.

I hope it's good.
It's great! I enjoyed it. UCLA Mike brought one over a few weeks ago.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #46
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Here are the Ports I'm working on right now!

The Casal dos Jordoes (far left) is an organic Port and one of my more expensive bottles. The Evenus Zin Port can be bought at Trader Joes. The Sierra Starr is from a winery in Nevada City, CA and is very sweet with little aftertaste. The D'Art if made in Lodi, CA and is one of my favorites. The Warres Warrior was a gift from Bobarian and can be found at most stores as well as the Cockburns Special Reserve.

Smoke what you like!!!

Last edited by Skywalker; 12-06-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #47
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

Once a bottle of Port is opened , How long do I have to finish it ? Does it go bad real quick or does it last a month or 2 once opened ? I've had the Fonseca Bin 27 and liked it . I just bought an Osborne tawny and a LBV 2001. Has anyone had either of these ? And what did you think of them ?
Bubba - NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #48
chibnkr
Pedestrian Habano Elitist

Trading: (2)
LFdC
chibnkr is on a distinguished road

I really enjoy a good vintage port. I have three or four mixed cases in my cellar. My favorite house style is Grahams, but am also a big fan of Taylor, Fonseca, and Dow. I probably have a few bottles of each from 1970, '77, '85, and '94.
chibnkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #49
Ron1YY

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibnkr View Post
I really enjoy a good vintage port. I have three or four mixed cases in my cellar. My favorite house style is Grahams, but am also a big fan of Taylor, Fonseca, and Dow. I probably have a few bottles of each from 1970, '77, '85, and '94.
Nice selection Mike!!!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #50
Skywalker
BABOTL

Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba - NJ View Post
Once a bottle of Port is opened , How long do I have to finish it ? Does it go bad real quick or does it last a month or 2 once opened ? I've had the Fonseca Bin 27 and liked it . I just bought an Osborne tawny and a LBV 2001. Has anyone had either of these ? And what did you think of them ?
If you put the cork back in the bottle it will last along time! Port is way different than red wine in that respect!

Smoke what you like!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:17 AM   #51
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Sorry no pictures, but last night we had an excellent round up of port and Madeira:

1898 Barbeito Verdelho Madeira
1970 Morgan Vintage Port
1977 Ferreira Vintage

It was first for trying any of these vintages. I have had a lot of Ferreira and once did a vertical of Ferreira from '55 to '85, but was missing the '77. The '77 had a funky nose, yet was still grapey and well balanced. A touch hot and we detcted a little TCA, but not enough to say it was an infected bottle.

The Morgan '70 was awesome! Buy all you can if you ever see it. I have never had a Morgan, but know collectors in England that rave about it and its QPR. This is one of the most velvety smooth ports that was like straight up strawberry jam. A little dead on the nose, but still incredible.

The Barbeito was just another excellent Madeira, not a blockbuster, but certainly no slouch. Typical prailene and dried fruits, with a fairly dry finish. Excellent indeed.

Two people and 2.5 bottles drank... Feeling it today.

For cigars, I started off with Montecristo A, had a vintage Montecristo No. 2, and then a vintage Punch Churchill... Still tasting the cigars this morning...
Old 12-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #52
Ron1YY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Sorry no pictures, but last night we had an excellent round up of port and Madeira:

1898 Barbeito Verdelho Madeira
1970 Morgan Vintage Port
1977 Ferreira Vintage

It was first for trying any of these vintages. I have had a lot of Ferreira and once did a vertical of Ferreira from '55 to '85, but was missing the '77. The '77 had a funky nose, yet was still grapey and well balanced. A touch hot and we detcted a little TCA, but not enough to say it was an infected bottle.

The Morgan '70 was awesome! Buy all you can if you ever see it. I have never had a Morgan, but know collectors in England that rave about it and its QPR. This is one of the most velvety smooth ports that was like straight up strawberry jam. A little dead on the nose, but still incredible.

The Barbeito was just another excellent Madeira, not a blockbuster, but certainly no slouch. Typical prailene and dried fruits, with a fairly dry finish. Excellent indeed.

For cigars, I started off with Montecristo A, had a vintage Montecristo No. 2, and then a vintage Punch Churchill... Still tasting the cigars this morning...
I love it when you review your tastings!!!! It reminds me of when Dave does a review of something out of the ordinary from his collection!!!!!

Speaking of collections, Moses, Do you have any pics of your collection that you might want to share? Maybe a close up of that bottle from Prince Charles and Diana's wedding
Old 12-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #53
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba - NJ View Post
Adding to the question....Once it has been opened, should it be stored at room temp or in the fridge? Tried the six grapes last night. I liked it. Very sweet and smooth.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #54
Vitis

Quote:

Nice hedonistic night! That much alcohol and residual sugar would have my head banging in the morning

~Vitis
Old 12-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #55
RichardW
Committed

Trading: (10)
Partagas
RichardW is on a distinguished road

Quote:

[snip]

Yikes!! and I'll bet you're still feeling the 2.5 bottles
Old 12-09-2008, 05:01 AM   #56
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
Adding to the question....Once it has been opened, should it be stored at room temp or in the fridge? Tried the six grapes last night. I liked it. Very sweet and smooth.
Either way, but if you serve port cold, it will be more acidic and not as sweet. I would keep it out and put in the freezer for 10 minutes before serving again. Port should be served around 62 degrees.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:11 AM   #57
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1YY View Post
I love it when you review your tastings!!!! It reminds me of when Dave does a review of something out of the ordinary from his collection!!!!!

Speaking of collections, Moses, Do you have any pics of your collection that you might want to share? Maybe a close up of that bottle from Prince Charles and Diana's wedding
I can't find the Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer Fonseca bottle picture

Just poking around my photobucket album, I found this one:

Which was fun little Fonseca vertical we did earlier this year. The largest vertical we've done is with Croft, which actually was the most complete Croft vertical ever know to have been done. One participant actually went to a vertical at Croft in VNG, Portugal and we more vintages. It went from 1896 to 1970 with only a couple of vintages missing.

We've had well over 100 different vintages on our weekend port and cigar tastings. It begins to be a blur which ones I have had and haven't had.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #58
Skywalker
BABOTL

Partagas

Quote:
I can't find the Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer Fonseca bottle picture

Just poking around my photobucket album, I found this one:

Which was fun little Fonseca vertical we did earlier this year. The largest vertical we've done is with Croft, which actually was the most complete Croft vertical ever know to have been done. One participant actually went to a vertical at Croft in VNG, Portugal and we more vintages. It went from 1896 to 1970 with only a couple of vintages missing.

We've had well over 100 different vintages on our weekend port and cigar tastings. It begins to be a blur which ones I have had and haven't had.
Very nice!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #59
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post

Finally found a bottle locally and picked it up. Gonna pop this bottle with a few friends and enjoy a few smokes with it. This is by far my fav port ive had so far, but ive yet to get into the higher end ones bc of the fear of dropping good money and not liking it.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #60
romwarrior
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (19)
Cohiba
romwarrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir13 View Post
but ive yet to get into the higher end ones bc of the fear of dropping good money and not liking it.
I have the opposite fear. Fear of dropping good money and liking it too much!
romwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote