Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Goldie
Bring the pain!

First Name: Drew
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Goldie has a spectacular aura aboutGoldie has a spectacular aura about
Default Liga Privada T52 blind review

A very generous BOTL gave me the opportunity to participate in a blind review, and below are the results of my first review.

I was very excited to do my first review, so I got started on it right away. On Friday I decided to pick up a 6 pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager to celebrate (Or maybe I should say drown my sorrows) for bombing one of my midterms, and I still had one left over, so I grabbed it out of the fridge, and popped the cap, along with some Country Time Lemonade for backup. I power up the stereo and Dark Side of the Moon starts.

Let me add that I don't really think I have quite developed the ability to pick out all the flavors and notes that you see in some of the professional reviews. But everyone's gotta start somewhere, right? So lets get this shindig started.

Initial thoughts:
5 X 54 according to my Cigar Passport
Very dark oily wrapper with a few noticeable veins running throughout, and a little bit toothy. Heavy in the hand. The filler in this cigar is almost as dark as the wrapper itself, with some parts just a few shades lighter than the wrapper.

I easily punched the cap and took a few dry draws. I got a very good draw, with a slightly sweet taste of tobacco. I thought to myself, “This is going to be a good cigar”.

Initial draw:
I immediately picked up some spice on the back of my throat and pallet, and I instantly thought of a sun grown cigar.

1” in:
The spice is making a strong hold, and I picked up a few “charred” notes. Which I guess makes sense since it’s a cigar. The cigar is producing a nice thick white smoke that is quite smooth.

2” in:
The spice is starting to mellow out, and I pick up a flavor that I can’t quite put my finger on. After a few more puffs I still have the same flavor and it is slightly sweet. The best I could describe it would be a slightly sweet, light black cherry flavor.

½ through:
I start to pick up a woodsy/woody taste but still a bit of sweetness. The ash starts to get a bit darker than at the beginning.

¾ in:
The spice starts to make a comeback as well as the black cherry flavors. The ash is quite dark now, but the smoke is still white and smooth.

Nubbed:
The ash stays quite dark throughout the last inch. I still have the same slight black cherry flavor, which I enjoy. The smokes starts to have a bit of a yellowish/brown tint to it, but still has a lot of flavor.

Jerry Springer final thoughts:
I liked this cigar A LOT. I think to myself, “I hope this isn’t something rare, or too expensive, because I want more of these”. After killing it off, I think to myself this might be a VSG or possibly a Cain Maduro Robusto. It didn’t have quite the amount of power behind it as I have experienced with Cain’s, but I have only had the Toro, never a Robusto.

My guess:
Like I said above I would guess on the high end, a VSG, something a little less expensive a Cain.

Reality:
Liga Privada T52. This is only the second Liga I have had the chance to smoke. The first I had was a Toro, which unfortunately yielded a bad experience. The Toro had such a tight draw I could hardly get a complete draw on it, so I ended up chucking it less than half way through. The T52 on the other hand, was a great renewal for the Liga lineup. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one of these, I was impressed to say the least. Thank you for the opportunity Julius, and thanks to those that took the time to read my thoughts. Now back to my regularly scheduled homework.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
SkinsFanLarry

Default Re: Liga Privada T52 blind review

Drew, excellant review and pic's!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
rhmalone
Still Watching My Back

First Name: R. Harrison
Trading: (5)
rhmalone will become famous soon enough

Very nice review and the pics were great. I've never heard of/tried this cigar, but you're review has gotten my attention. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
ChicagoWhiteSox

Great review Drew! Nice choice of album also
Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great review Drew...thanks for sharing.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
whodeeni

Great review... im gonna have to see if i get those flavors the next time
i smoke one.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
mu mike
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (8)
mu mike is on a distinguished road

Haven't tried any of the Liga Privadas yet, but have read many positive reviews. The local B&M is trying to carry them but hasn't gotten the account yet.
mu mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
papichulo
Diablo Canoso

Trading: (2)
papichulo will become famous soon enough

I was fortunate to smoke both of these and it was a wonderful ball-busting smoke. Thanks for the review.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
drewestatecigar
Public & Media Relations

First Name: Johnny
Trading: (0)
drewestatecigar is on a distinguished road

Great review!
drewestatecigar is offline   Reply With Quote