Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
Caymus is on a distinguished road
Default Smoking in Car Thread

I love smoking cigars in my car. I'm on the road a lot for work, so when I've had my last appointment for the day and have a 1+ hour drive to another city, I love getting a Starbucks and lighting up a cigar for the drive. Heck, it's one of the few places left where I can smoke indoors ! I find I can really enjoy the aromas and flavors more inside, and it makes the drive enjoyable and gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day.

Just last week I handed down my beloved, faithful, and trusty 2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited with 250,000 miles. Never had a problem with it, never left me stranded or wouldn't start, 20 MPG even today, best car I ever had. Driving so frequently for work and using it as a mobile office, dining room, and dump truck tends to break in the interior. I spilled many a coffee, dropped several stinky ashtrays worth of cigar ashes onto the console and floor, food, drinks, trips to the dump, Lowes, spilled bags of topsoil, etc, etc...it all would end up somewhere and it didn't matter. I'd take it to a good carwash, clean it up, vacuum, spray some Febreeze and it was ready to pick my boss up at the airport or out on a date with my wife.
There's a certain freedom to having a paid-off car with lots of miles. If it got scratched, soiled, or cluttered, no big deal. (remarkably, there were few scratches on it...people can't believe how old it is and how many miles are on it).

So I gave it to my newly-licensed daughter...couldn't stand the thought of trading it in...and I got myself a 2008 Toyota Highlander limited with just 49,000 miles, Toyota Certified, etc. It's beautiful. Infact, it's too nice. I've had it for two weeks and haven't smoked yet and am afraid I'm going to spill my coffee. Washed it twice already. I dont' like this feeling !

Here are some things I do:
[list]
  • Turn vents to "vent" outside air, not recirculate
  • Only turn floorboard vents on with A/C, turn off dash vents.
  • Crack open passenger windshield to vent smoke (i can smell the cigar better this way as compared to opening driver's side, for whatever reason)
  • I bought a Xikar cup holder portable ash tray, but haven't used it much.
  • Febreeze works pretty well for freshening up the carpeted floors
  • It's the ashes that fall that make it smell the next day, not the smoke, so I try to clean up all the fallen ashes at the end of the day
  • Travel with 2 Cigar Caddies, but try not to leave them in the car when it's hot
  • Have bought more small cigars (5x38 or petite coronas) for short trips or running around town

What tips, advice, stories, pleasures or suggestions do you all have about smoking cigars in your car ?
Caymus is offline   Reply With Quote