Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default A quick reminder

Had an interesting conversation today. OK, interesting is a nice way of describing the conversation. I dealt with someone who was really hurting because of having to take a pay cut, and having lost a loved one in the past year. They have been seriously struggling to "put on a happy face," as I was told. They hadn't talked to anybody, they didn't want to bring other people down, "it is the wrong time of the year to bring others down into my misery."

To all on CA, I know your hearts - I know your care and concern for others. I know it shows here, but I am guessing it is more about who each of you is and is a part of your whole life.

Please, keep your eyes open. All around us are people in pain, and this time of the year really seems to take a toll on people. But this time of the year also kind find us busier than normal.

Let's not get so wrapped up in ourselves and the busy-ness of the season that we lose track of those around us.

I am thankful that this individual came to talk to me, but unfortunately there are many, very many, who will not seek out professional help in their distress. And, they may cover it up so well that others don't see their pain. Depression can be a heavy burden, in fact, it can be a killer - literally.

If you know someone who has undergone some serious stress this past year (lost a loved one, was down-sized, etc...) take a moment and talk to them, see how they are doing. You may make a difference in someone's life.

Thanks for listening.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: A quick reminder

Todd, you are one man like no other. I mean that in a good way.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Well said and very true.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

It's easy to forget about others when you feel you're struggling. For example. I've been out of school for a year now. When I got out I went back to my old job while I try to get a job in my chosen career. I get discouraged from time to time and half to remind myself, I've got a job most would love to have, though it's not full time I make over double the state minimum. I don't have major expenses and forget how I truely blessed I am.

Rev thank you for helping to remind me once again that I am blessed and well off compared to many.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
backwoods357
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jorgen
Trading: (14)
backwoods357 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for giving me that little push I needed, I have a few people that have been on my mind lately. For me "I'll call them later" always turns into calling them never.
backwoods357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Thanks for your kind words. My conversation today was a reminder that I must always be vigilant.

I know there are inmates here who have had it difficult, or may be dealing with difficult issues now. If so, talk to someone.

What I am hoping is that we can get involved with others and lend an ear, a hand, a hug, a something... to others who are struggling. That we keep our eyes and ears open to find those who may be dealing with something now, and be a friend to them. Let them know that someone does care.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Rev you are truly a one of a kind gentleman and humanitarian and I thank you for reminding me of things I tend to forget this time of year and that my priorities need arranged at times. Thank you brother.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

While the holiday season seems to intensify our feelings for others, unfortunately, their need doesn't go away December 26. For those that are hurting, it goes on year round. I've discovered, as you have, that most of the truly needy are silent to their situation which makes it more difficult to identify them. we keep our eyes open for the signs that a person may need help.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
While the holiday season seems to intensify our feelings for others, unfortunately, their need doesn't go away December 26. For those that are hurting, it goes on year round. I've discovered, as you have, that most of the truly needy are silent to their situation which makes it more difficult to identify them. we keep our eyes open for the signs that a person may need help.
This season also intensifies the need. There are more suicides between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day that all the other months combined.

And yes, it is a good reminder. We need to keep our eyes open all year round. And, be willing (whether now or in June) to step in and get our hands dirty. And yes, in helping someone dealing with severe depression and get them the help they need, may lead us to temporarily (or permanently) lose a friend.

Peace be with you.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

I knew I had posted something like this in the past. I did not have the same conversation, but...

Last year I had someone lose their spouse of 52 years two weeks after Thanksgiving. Spoke with them just yesterday, and we will be getting together again a few times in the next few weeks. They were teary-eyed and wondering how they're going to get through the "Holidays" without their loved one, it just isn't imaginable, especially since they died so close to them.

Friends, every year this season raises problems in the lives of people. If you can pass this thought around, pray for people and keep eyes open. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, more people commit suicide than all the other months of the year combined. Prayers to strengthen all people. Eyes open to see those who are hurting and suffering because of so many different things - loved ones not with them this year, things are fiscally tight and they cannot do what is "expected" (expectations are usually placed on them by themselves, not by others), and a multitude of pressures.

I just wanted to pass on this reminder.

I wish I could see the hurt in all that are hurting, but so often it is hidden from pastors, sometimes when I do find out, I ask why they hid it from me. "We know you are busy, pastor, even more so this time of year."

My friends, you need to be the eyes of the clergy and mental health professionals to get people the help they need. So many want to tough it out, or even worse, solve their problems themselves - and sometimes the results can be catastrophic to themselves and others around them.

Just a public service reminder.

And if you are in such a situation or mood, please find a friend, a pastor, or mental health care professional. Do not carry the burden alone. And yes, there are those who care about you.

Todd
Old 11-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I knew I had posted something like this in the past. I did not have the same conversation, but...

Last year I had someone lose their spouse of 52 years two weeks after Thanksgiving. Spoke with them just yesterday, and we will be getting together again a few times in the next few weeks. They were teary-eyed and wondering how they're going to get through the "Holidays" without their loved one, it just isn't imaginable, especially since they died so close to them.

Friends, every year this season raises problems in the lives of people. If you can pass this thought around, pray for people and keep eyes open. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, more people commit suicide than all the other months of the year combined. Prayers to strengthen all people. Eyes open to see those who are hurting and suffering because of so many different things - loved ones not with them this year, things are fiscally tight and they cannot do what is "expected" (expectations are usually placed on them by themselves, not by others), and a multitude of pressures.

I just wanted to pass on this reminder.

I wish I could see the hurt in all that are hurting, but so often it is hidden from pastors, sometimes when I do find out, I ask why they hid it from me. "We know you are busy, pastor, even more so this time of year."

My friends, you need to be the eyes of the clergy and mental health professionals to get people the help they need. So many want to tough it out, or even worse, solve their problems themselves - and sometimes the results can be catastrophic to themselves and others around them.

Just a public service reminder.

And if you are in such a situation or mood, please find a friend, a pastor, or mental health care professional. Do not carry the burden alone. And yes, there are those who care about you.

Todd

Todd you are an amazing person. I wish everybody was as thoughtful and caring as you... Please everybody reach out to those who need you today... Well said Todd
Old 11-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerbe View Post
Todd you are an amazing person. I wish everybody was as thoughtful and caring as you... Please everybody reach out to those who need you today... Well said Todd
No, I am not. If this board only knew me!!!

I am a curmudgeon-y old @$$, who gets kicked in the head every once in a while and awakened to what he should be. He doesn't always practice what he preaches. He is nowhere near perfect, and far from amazing. Too often he walks through life trying to avoid any and all contact with others, for then he'd have to care and help - and he knows the emotional drain and the expenditure of time often necessary - so too often he avoids it. (God be merciful to me, a sinner!! Thanks be to God, in Christ Jesus my Lord!!!)

And when I am slapped out of my unempathizing stupor, I reach out with a kick in the head to others so that they might be better prepared to help.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
No, I am not. If this board only knew me!!!

I am a curmudgeon-y old @$$, who gets kicked in the head every once in a while and awakened to what he should be. He doesn't always practice what he preaches. He is nowhere near perfect, and far from amazing. Too often he walks through life trying to avoid any and all contact with others, for then he'd have to care and help - and he knows the emotional drain and the expenditure of time often necessary - so too often he avoids it. (God be merciful to me, a sinner!! Thanks be to God, in Christ Jesus my Lord!!!)

And when I am slapped out of my unempathizing stupor, I reach out with a kick in the head to others so that they might be better prepared to help.

Well I think you are pretty Neat