Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Dukeuni
RIP CS

Trading: (32)
RA
Dukeuni is on a distinguished road
Angry No smoking on college campus?- Any place else?

I am a alumni of Oregon State University. I was on a sports board today and found out that the ENTIRE Oregon State Campus has outlawed smoking of any kind. There is NO "smoking areas" for employees or staff. They have even outlawed smoking in your own vehicle (windows up and everything).

I had not heard about this being done before. I know there has been limitations on smoking within a certain distance from windows and building entrances, but I never heard of a complete, 100% ban on smoking on the entire campus.

This new rule really bothers me. There is nothing I like to do more when I visit the campus then light up a nice cigar and walk around campus to see the changes and remember my time at OSU.

I will continue to light up a cigar, but now I will always be looking out for "campus security" and I am sure some yuppy student will decide they need to "educate" me on the negative effects of smoking and that it is outlawed on campus.

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/life...arting-sept-1/
Dukeuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: No smoking on college campus?- Any place else?

Don't see how they can stop you from smoking in your vehicle.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Whats next, this band bullshat is fukcing nuts. Why dosent all these law makers work on "cleaning the air" by really pushing cleaner cars. i mean the US has so many problems like i dont know the FED budget. Last i check that is a really big problem. Can't they just leave us alone. Go chase some hackers or something.

Sorry bad day... and i hate this stuff. CUBA here i come

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Dukeuni
RIP CS

Trading: (32)
RA
Dukeuni is on a distinguished road

I thought that part was really surprising:

Q&A from the website:

Q: Can I smoke in my personal vehicle on campus?
A: No. The policy prohibits smoking within personal vehicles anywhere within the campus boundaries.

Also another interesting answer:

Q: Is a smoke-free policy a violation of civil and Constitutional rights?
A: No, there is no Constitutional "right" to smoke or use tobacco. Tobacco users are not a category protected under the Equal Protection Clause of the Constitution, nor is tobacco use a protected liberty right under the Due Process clause of the Constitution.

Basically, it is the University saying: "You are not smart enough to stop smoking, so we need to force you to stop....."
Dukeuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Tell them you and a bunch of other alums will no longer give any money to them. Would be great if you could get some really big donor to do the same. Money talks, BS walks!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

ask if they can dip

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Not outlawed here at NC State yet, but they're working on it. I typically have a stick a day on campus nowadays and have never once had a complaint. Just have some common sense with it. I never exhale when walking by people, and never puff when in an enclosed space(we have a number of tunnels on campus).
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I think it is amusing they also "prohibit" those electronic cigarettes. I would LOVE to hear their reason for that.
I would also like to know what the consequences for breaking their silly little rule if you are not a student or faculty.
Double Secret Probation?
Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

What about tailgating????? That's all that really matters!
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Crazy days indeed! College stressed me to the point of needing to smoke to take a well-deserved break. Smoking the crazy weed wasn't allowed on campus either, but we somehow got our fill of it. I'm sure if push-come-to-shove I could find a way to have a relaxing smoke if I so desired, also. Wait until they outlaw booze.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Many hotel chains have gone smoke free and even fine $250 if you are caught smoking on the balcony. I know this from first hand experience
It was a long time ago I was in college but it was rare that there wasn't something being smoked in the dorms back then
Old 08-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

My son it at the University of Oregon and they have the same rule (it is a rule rather than a law, but then they govern absolutely within the campus).

I used to walk around the campus with a cigar. Now I visit less. It will be interesting to see how this new rule goes at the football games...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

When I was in college in Florida you could smoke right in your dorm room. In fact as an incoming freshman, you had to note your smoking preference so you wouldn't get roomed with a smoker if you didn't smoke (cigarettes that is). Of course, all the kids lied because they didn't want their parents to know they smoked, so basically everyone got stuck with a cigarette smoking roomie. That's when I started smoking cigars and gassed them out by smoking Garcia y Vegas non-stop.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Don't see how they can stop you from smoking in your vehicle.
The entire University of Missouri system went smoke free including in your own personal vehicle unless the windows are up and no smoke is allowed to escape.

Campus police actually sit in the parking lot and look for offenders.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Most campuses have private roads. As such, they can enforce their policies even on the roadway. Smokers have the ability to drive on other roads, etc. to not violate the policy. It has been upheld in state and federal courts.

I happen not to agree with the policy, since it is extreme and putative. But they never asked my opinion when they did it. One more example of schools being forced to play mommy and daddy instead of focusing on education.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Yeah security here at the academy is getting a lot stricter. They have limited us to only 4 sporadically placed "smoking sections" (and when you look at the size of the entire base, you really have to do some walking just to get to one). Additionally, all 4/c's (freshmen) are prohibited from ANY and ALL tobacco use, which wasn't a rule up until this year. The Academy says they are doing this because they want cadets to live healthier lives, but when you consider that some of freshmen can be as old as 24 years old with prior enlisted time in the coast guard, you gotta realize that they are old enough and experienced to make their own decisions about what is healthy and what is not. Their intentions are good, but hardly beneficial when you consider we are just going to do it off-base or after graduation.
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

hospital campus is the same way
my son was born I had a few friends stop by and we tried to go to one of the sitting areas outside where no one was around and were informed by a nurse walking by and then soon after by security that smoking was banned on all the property owned by the hospital
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

The only way I can see them getting away with the personal vehicles and such is because you are on private property.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #19
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Glad we can smoke on the rec fields at work still. But because many officers can't get away all the time to get their fix there are MANY CO's that have taken to dip.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #20
mariogolbee

The two community colleges I went to have a no-smoking policy. You have to go out to the parking lot, where ashtrays are provided, to smoke. The problem is that at least one of them students smoke in certain areas anyway, but they toss butts everywhere. When I was a student there I spoke to staff at the health office and suggested they place receptacles there. Also, since there is no law prohibiting smoking in the city, the campus police cannot issue citations.

At my current school, San Jose State University, there are no specific rules about smoking, except for the standard 20 feet from any door or window. I sometimes smoke on campus and have even had a discussion with a professor while he puffed away on his briar.