Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 05-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #61
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I'm Looking For A Good Southern Biscuits & Gravy Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Do not use Brad's "speed-cook" method unless you are an expert at gravy making! Brad is right in that this is only for the experts. And, if you can successfully pull this method off, you don't need this thread!
A more true statement has never been made. Everything the Kid said in his post is excellent.
Pay particular attention to the flour taste and why a lengthy cook is best. And the boiling part, too.
GREAT REPLY!
You are making sausage gravy, not thickened milk. You want the essence of the fat and spices to carry into
your gravy, and it it tastes like flour, you have failed, lol. This is why 95% of restaurants fail. Very few hire
actual chefs, they hire cooks. Cooks get it done, they don't create flavor experiences. That's what mama knew.
-------------
OOH, something mama also knows.....NEVER waste anything in burnt roux. Not shrimp, not milk. If you ever burn
a roux, you have to thoroughly clean your pan and start over. And if you did not save your grease, haha, you can't
even do that. Not burning it is especially important on a milk gravy. In a gumbo, you just have oil and flour in a pan.
In a milk gravy, hopefully you have many, many chunks of sausage, bacon, carmelized protiens, etc. They are the
nuggets of joy in your gravy. If you burn that roux, you lose ALL the gratin'. Starting from scratch in that instance
is costly.

Last edited by OLS; 05-18-2011 at 07:50 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #62
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, the boss came by, lol. Like I said, in a gumbo, you start your roux with oil and flour. If you burn it,
you have to start over, BUT you started with an empty pot, no big loss. If you burn your pan of sausage
leftovers, you LOSE ALL OF IT. All the little chunks of salty, greasy goodness. So work slowly on milk gravy.
In a gumbo, if you burn a roux, you haven't yet added anything of value (if you're smart), no shrimp,
no crabmeat, no onions. You can't SAVE a burnt roux. You can't cover it up with seafood, lol.
So keep that in mind, lol.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #63
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

One day, Brad and I will meet up, and there will be goodness in the form of milk gravy and gumbo roux flying all over the place!!!! Good point about NOT wasting any efforts or ingredients on a burned roux!! I forgot about that one, mainly because it's been too long since I made gumbo! hmmmmmm...... That gives me an idea
Old 05-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #64
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Anyone have a good sausage gravy made without milk or cream?
Lactose intolerant? If so, I would guess that soy milk might work, though I've never tried it. The fat in the roux should be enough without the fat in the moo juice, I'd think? Just make sure it's not some flavored substitute that will get in the way of the sausage taste.

When I make gravy for my country fried steak-CFS (venison, actually), I use about equal portions of water and milk, so water would also work, though it will be a much less creamy, and a much darker gravy. I think I'd try alternative milk types before I'd go all water. The main reason I use half water in the CFS is because I let the steak simmer in the gravy for 30 minutes or so, and part water gravy doesn't tend to stick as bad as all milk gravy on a longer simmer. On a non-simmer application like sausage gravy, all or half water isn't necessary or desirable (for my tastes).

If not lactose intolerant, is it a problem with access to milk, like on a hike or camping? If so, consider powdered milk. I've successfully made good sausage gravy while camping using powdered milk many times.