Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
JJKJR
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
JJKJR is on a distinguished road
Default Partially Smoked Cigar

Hey Folks, is there a "right way" to handle a cigar that has been partially smoked that you would re-light a day or 2 later. Do you leave it in an ash tray, put it back into the humidor? Thanks for the responses.
JJKJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Partially Smoked Cigar

Proper way is to toss it in the trash. If a cigar has sat for more than an hour, it ends up in the trash. Never, ever, ever, EVER put a previously lit cigar into a humidor.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
JWC
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (0)
JWC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Proper way is to toss it in the trash. If a cigar has sat for more than an hour, it ends up in the trash. Never, ever, ever, EVER put a previously lit cigar into a humidor.
I agree on not putting it in the humidor. The burned tobacco smell will overpower the rest of the cigars and smell awful.

I don't agree on throwing them in the trash. I have re-lit a number of cigars after an hour or even a day and they were fine. A bit harsh upon relighting, but that goes away quickly.
JWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Don't put back in the humidor, it will contaminate your stock. For me if it's more then 20 minutes I don't relight. From my readings, if you know you are putting it down, blow back through the cigar. When you go to relight cut about 1/2 inch off the burnt end, then smoke it!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Don't put back in the humidor, it will contaminate your stock. For me if it's more then 20 minutes I don't relight. From my readings, if you know you are putting it down, blow back through the cigar. When you go to relight cut about 1/2 inch off the burnt end, then smoke it!!!
As others have stated: if you know you are not going to come right back then you should purge (blow through it) the cigar before you set it down. Remove the ash and purge it again before you relight it.

Don't put it in your humidor or near any other unsmoked cigars. If you have to put it in something, put it in a ziplock -- all by itself.

Having said that, any cigar that has sat for more than an hour is just not going to taste as good as when you first smoked it. It may not be totally bad, but it will not be as good.

For me, I would toss it, but feel free to try it out...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

It depends. Yesterday I had two very strikingly different situations.
Lit a EPC New Wave Stella for breakfast that was outstanding with black coffee. Just perfect morning cigar for 15 min or so. Got called away for no more than about 30 minutes and came back to a harsh, dry and hot cigar that didn't come close to resembling the cigar I had set down.
Later in the afternoon, I started an RP Edge maduro toro that was a little tight and a bit sour. Not bad, but not great. Left it sit in car for nearly four hours (in parking garage - not in the sun.) Upon coming back to it, found draw opened up and a much more pronounced maduro sweetness, with sourness all but disappeared. Turned into very nice cigar that had nearly been tossed after first 15 min.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I have never relit a cigar a day later that was anything but nasty upon relighting.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I have never relit a cigar a day later that was anything but nasty upon relighting.
It's like making out with a stripper the morning after the two of you did shots of Patron back at the hotel. It might have tasted good going down, but it is just plain foul the next day.

That's what I heard anyway ...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

I try not to let them sit un-lit for more than 30 minutes.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

If that's what you want to do, more power to you. I would advise against storing them with other cigars. I like the zip-lock bag suggestion. If you have an old cigar tube of the correct size, you can also put it in to there before putting it in the zip-lock. Even if you put it in a zip-lock, I would strongly advise against putting it into your humidor.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I try to never relight if possible, if it's more than half way smoked and it goes out I toss it (most times).
Old 08-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

I re-light all the time. Set it down, let it go out.
When you want to re-light, pick up cigar, knock ash off, Purge (Blow through the cigar - opposite way you puff), then roast the end of the cigar until there is a glow all the war around the outside. Purge again for a full 3-5 seconds, then re-light.

Caveat Emptor - my taste buds are shot and I smoke Cain F for breakfast. Biggest takeaway - do what works for you. (I never use the plastic bag trick (or the snuffer) because I found the smell permeates the cigar - that one got to my taste buds!! )

Last edited by Conch Republican; 08-15-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Conch Republican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I make habit to purge my cigar whenever I sit it down, mostly because there's a real good chance it'll go out and I'll have to relight. There's a BIG difference between relighting a cigar that's gone cold full of smoke and one that wasn't full of smoke. I've smoked cigars the next day, or even after a number of days, that sat in the ashtray. It's not ideal, but it's not bad.
If it's a cheapo, I'm just going to chuck it if it's gone out and sat for awhile, or if it sucked to begin with.
A cigar I've been smoking isn't going in the house, let alone my humidor. I can't begin to imagine how bad that'd foul up my cigars.

I guess it boils down to "which cigar", as to whether I'm going to recycle it or throw it out.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #15
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:

Life's too short to mess around with it anyway, fire up a fresh one.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #16
bowhnter
Backyard BBQer

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
bowhnter is on a distinguished road

I have used this a couple times... Repuff

From what I remember it was little hard to get relit, but there wasn't much negative affect on the cigar after it got going. They were still pretty good. One an hour later, and one a day later.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Trading: (30)
MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhnter View Post

From what I remember it was little hard to get relit, but there wasn't much negative affect on the cigar after it got going. They were still pretty good. One an hour later, and one a day later.
very interesting.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #18
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhnter View Post

I just can't imagine that throwing chemicals into the mix and then burning said chemicals will do me any good, but that's just me. If it works for you and you like it, go for it.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

I've never tasted a relit cigar that I wouldn't throw down. I trash them.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #20
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Like many have said give it a try and let us know. At the minimum I would purge the smoke before it goes out. I have had mixed results. I had a la casita criolla on friday and fell asleep before I finished it. I purged it and set it in the ash tray. Come the next morning thats what I had with my coffee. It was not the same cigar but it was not unsmokeable. I always try to finish a cigar but sometimes you get called away and instead of tossing it right away it is worth the try. Worst case is you wind up trashing it best case is you get to finish.