Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

First Name: Michael
Trading: (3)
Punch Army (Retired)
michael88n is on a distinguished road
Default 5 Vegas – Series ‘A’

Yay! My package arrived today in the mail. It’s only 6,000 miles to my B&M, so it’s a nice day when smokes come in.

One of the things that I’ve been looking forward to is a 5-er of these Cincos that I’ve been wanting to try. These smokes are 5.5 x 55 which makes it an “Apotheosis” - No clue what that word means. I’ll have to look it up later. Out of the cello it looks great. Seamless wrapper and no veins are noticeable. Initial smell is like… dark roasted/toasted coffee beans. It smells strong. And it’s dark with a shiny band. It looks cool.

I punch a hole in the end and take a pre-light draw. Niiice! It’s a box press and feels kind of funny in my fingers. Not funny/bad, but funny/clucky. It lights quite well, and right away I get that dark gray start of ash.

First couple of puffs are awesome! I get loads of thick smoke. Pleasant and almost creamy. It starts off mild to medium. The toasty flavor comes out right away. The spice is almost an afterthought. Kind of like a “hey, how ya doin’?!”

About half way though the spice takes a slightly more active role in the flavor. The toastiness is mixed with the roasted coffee and cocoa, but it’s not overwhelming. This is a very relaxing cigar. The ash was dark and stayed on for two inches before I knocked it off. I would have left it on longer, but I’ve already spilled hot sauce on my shirt at lunch time. Even towards the end, it never burned hot. I did get a little wood scent, but I had to reach for it.

This cigar never got beyond medium in strength. That’s not a bad thing. Kind of like a Guinness Draught. It looks dark and strong, but it’s really dark and smooth. And it goes down like a dream. A one hour and 20 minute dream. I finished it, and 20 minutes later wanted another one. But I’ll let the others rest in the ‘dor for a bit. There’s a few more that I want to try first.

And here’s a question I want to ask: When I’m finished smoking a good cigar, I don’t wash my hands for a while so I can smell my fingers (Jeez. You had to go there, didn’t you…). Does anyone else do that? Is there a word for that? I love the smell that this Cinco left on my hands. It’s a toasted chocolate coffee smell and it’s great. Doesn’t even smell like a cigar.

And I just looked the word Apothesis: "model of excellence or perfection of a kind; one having no equal". I know that the ones I have now won’t last long. And I’ll be buying more soon.

Cheers,
Michael

And that is my fourth review.

Last edited by michael88n; 02-24-2009 at 03:34 PM.
michael88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default Re: 5 Vegas – Series ‘A’

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael88n View Post
And here’s a question I want to ask: When I’m finished smoking a good cigar, I don’t wash my hands for a while so I can smell my fingers (Jeez. You had to go there, didn’t you…). Does anyone else do that? Is there a word for that? I love the smell that this Cinco left on my hands. It’s a toasted chocolate coffee smell and it’s great. Doesn’t even smell like a cigar.
LOL, I do the same thing after a really good cigar.
Thanks for the review, I'll have to give this stick another try.
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review!!!

I was wondering about the Apotheosis!

My favorite of the series is the Apex which is also boxpressed!!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

Punch Army (Retired)

I posted the hand sniffing question on another thread. The responses started heading south, as I kind of thought they would, and it appears that about 25% of responders and are hand sniffers also.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
dccraft

Thanks for the review. I really like this line a lot. And I come from a long line of finger sniffers.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review, and I too love these cigars.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

Punch Army (Retired)

I just read some other reviews of this stogie and noticed that others had noticed a stronger body and ranked it medium to full. Granted, I've only had one, but I thought it was milder than that. Would any of you rated this medium to full?

Cheers,
Michael
Old 02-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
Cenookie
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Claude
Trading: (1)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Cenookie is on a distinguished road

Nice review, you're right on with the flavors. I like the Archtype (toro), I would rank them as Med. I gave one to a coworker who claimed he only smoked full body smokes, he loved them. On a side note I'm waiting on a box that I scored on the Devil Site.
Cenookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

I have a box of the Archetypes sitting in the humi, smoked one and found it very nice especially for the price (got it from the devil site)
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
greenwit

These sticks can be gotten for about $40/box on C-bid (according to the CHIMP searchable database.)
Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
totallytentative

Mmm... can't wait to try these. Thanks for the review.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #12
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

Punch Army (Retired)

greenwit,
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Cheers,
Michael
Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 AM   #13
Stonewall

Yes great review!! I love the A series I would have to call it my everyday stick. They are so good and I like everyone of them but I am partial to the box press or the Atomic and for the price it is worth stocking up on them. My bro Elderboy just bombed me with a 5er from CI what a pal!!
Josh
Old 02-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwit View Post
These sticks can be gotten for about $40/box on C-bid (according to the CHIMP searchable database.)
very true I got my box for $37
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
dentonparrots

Yup..I'm a finger sniffer too!

Here's a thing for you, can you nail the smell from your fingers..can you describe it properly? I can't but whatever it is I love it!

Thanks for the review.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #16
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Good review. My fav is the Apocolypse 6x60. I've yet to have a bad Cinco Vegas Series A. I've smoked two or three bundles because the Apocs don't come in a box.

I tend to agree with you they are a medium body smoke. I wouldn't say mild per se, but the wonderful maduro wrapper does help mellow it a little.

Oh yeah, and I have to admit I am a finger sniffer. It's like a echo of the cigar you just enjoyed.

Last edited by 357; 03-03-2009 at 10:33 AM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #17
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

Punch Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Oh yeah, and I have to admit I am a finger sniffer. It's like a echo of the cigar you just enjoyed.
Mike,
I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but you nailed it.

Cheers,
Michael
Old 03-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #18
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Smoked one the other day. I enjoyed it a lot. A great affordable smoke! Thanks for the review.
WildBlueSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #19
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Hello Michael,

And thank you for your service to our great country

Excellent review and input on the double nickle. Ah, and yes, guess I can be included in the "finger sniffing pole" too. Its just f****-A great though isn't it?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #20
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

just finished a robusto sized (apothesis?) ... man they're good..

out of a dozen of so I've had of these, I've only had 1 bad one.... totally absolutely plugged.

But the one tonight was AWESOME... I nubbed it until I burned my fingers lol
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote