Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road
Default El Rey Robusto

I wrote this review for another forum a while ago. I smoked one the other night and found it to still be 100% true.

My Old Friend

This is the 5 x 54 tissue wrapped beauty that has become a staple of mine over the past 6 or 7 years and I always have at least one box on hand. For those of you who don't know the cigar that I'm talking about, here is a link to it:

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?pa...&itemcode=RMRO

This is what is written about this brand on the JR website:

This classic Cuban brand continues under the stewardship of Señor Padrón. Each one of these cigars is a symphony of delectable Honduran flavors, impeccable construction, perfect burn and draw, and an enchantingly complex blend of the finest tobaccos. These are arguably one of the finest cigars made in the world today - bar none. An absolute "must try" cigar for all!

I couldn't agree more with what is written up above. My love affair with this brand started when I started smoking cigars about 12 years ago. Back then it was the Flor de La Vonda that hooked me. It's a weird trumpet shaped cigar that I bought mainly because of the odd shape. This brand has always been under the radar of most cigar smokers. Mainly I think because they don't really advertise and they don't really ever come out with "gimmick" cigars or cigars to keep up with the latest trends. Okay, onto the review.

If you clicked on the link you can see that this cigar is a great buy. $64 for 20 beefy Robustos! When you first take this cigar in your hand it's something special. I think it's the fact that it's tissue wrapped like a Christmas present is what makes it stand out to me. It's classy looking as well.

Once unwrapped you'll notice the dark, dark brown oily Oscuro wrapper from Ecuador that hugs this cigar. As far as I know this is the only wrapper that it comes in. It has some veins in it but nothing bad. It has a smell of leather and bitter chocolate to me.

Both the binder and the filler are from Honduras and I would classify it as a medium smoke. It's easy to cut and the draw is better and more consistent than most cigars that I have smoked. Lighting is easy and I usually don't have to touch these up.

After the first couple of puffs, you'll notice the two things that I love about this cigar. The first is the pure tobacco taste that could only come from Padron and the second is the amount of white billowy smoke that comes out of this cigar. If you smoke this one inside you will have a dense fog in a short amount of time. The flavors really become pronounced after about the first third of the cigar and they stay that way all the way until the end. This cigar usually lasts me around an hour and 15-20 minutes.

I've had plenty of cigars that were more expensive than this one. But this is the one that I always come back to. Kind of my "if you only had one cigar on a desert island" type of thing. If you haven't tried one of these yet and you come across one I would urge you to try it. I don't remember anyone that I have given one of these to not liking it.

Let me know what you think if you do.
Slow Triathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: El Rey Robusto

Wrong sub-forum.
Moving to NCs.