Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #21
barbourjay

Default Re: new shop ideas

great ideas guys. most of what you said is what i would like in a place also. i just hope it lives up to my expectations if all goes to plan. i need to draw up a business plan and you guys are doing a great job at making up a list.

wifi will be on the list of course, along with entertainment (tv and darts, maybe golden tee, don't want it too noisy).
beer and wine will be sold on site, i'll carry more than a few on draft. water and sodas (including specialty sodas) will also be there.
lockers and members will have a small fee but nothing too out of the ordinary. i want a high traffic high volume place but want to keep the enviroment relaxed and not uppity at the same time.
there will be a patio and plenty of parking. this is part of the location selection. luckily i have the whole tampa bay area to find a spot.
hours will probably be 11-9. maybe later on weekends (friday-saturday).

please keep the suggestions coming. this will be a work in progress and who knows if it will happen but i really do and so does she.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #22
SonsofClubDeck

leather recliners and firm feeling women that would actually date me.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #23
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbourjay View Post
great ideas guys. most of what you said is what i would like in a place also. i just hope it lives up to my expectations if all goes to plan. i need to draw up a business plan and you guys are doing a great job at making up a list.

wifi will be on the list of course, along with entertainment (tv and darts, maybe golden tee, don't want it too noisy).
beer and wine will be sold on site, i'll carry more than a few on draft. water and sodas (including specialty sodas) will also be there.
lockers and members will have a small fee but nothing too out of the ordinary. i want a high traffic high volume place but want to keep the enviroment relaxed and not uppity at the same time.
there will be a patio and plenty of parking. this is part of the location selection. luckily i have the whole tampa bay area to find a spot.
hours will probably be 11-9. maybe later on weekends (friday-saturday).

please keep the suggestions coming. this will be a work in progress and who knows if it will happen but i really do and so does she.
My best friend lives in Plant City, so when I go down to visit him, I will definatley be one of your customers!!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #24
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

The only thing I would add to the B & M I frequent would be a TV . They have comfy seating and a friendly staff . They also hold events regularly , don't mind if you smoke your own and usually every friday night it's kind of like a party there . Good friendly place to smoke .
Bubba - NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #25
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

if/when is does happen, I'm hoppin on a place to tampa!

my locals are good, but a bit... outdated as far as creature comforts go. a place where you can smoke confortably, especially with the game on, and wifi should be a hit. don't forget to carry a little but of pipe stuff. some of us like to shop twice in one stop
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #26
barbourjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
if/when is does happen, I'm hoppin on a place to tampa!

my locals are good, but a bit... outdated as far as creature comforts go. a place where you can smoke confortably, especially with the game on, and wifi should be a hit. don't forget to carry a little but of pipe stuff. some of us like to shop twice in one stop
i thought about pipes but honestly i don't have the first damn clue about them. it's always something i could add later on.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #27
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Quote:
i thought about pipes but honestly i don't have the first damn clue about them. it's always something i could add later on.
yeah, I'd keep it in mind, you can be fully successful without, but I think it could broaden the appeal.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #28
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

A secluded lounge is pretty cool. A BM I used to visit you walk in the door and he had the humidors on the right and on the left was a bar area with a few barstools. Humidors and accessories were in the middle of the two. You continue to walk straight and behind some doors was the lounge area. It was raised higher than the other area of the shop and included monster ass tv, leather couches and chairs, decorated with cigar art, coffee table with cigar reading material, lighters, ashtrays. Needless to say it was a nice, quiet relaxing place to enjoy cigars and conversation.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #29
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

How about a web page, online ordering, while having the store do just great would be awesome, the internet reaches out to alot of folks....like everyone here. Thats some huge clientele.
Cigarcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #30
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonsofClubDeck View Post
leather recliners and firm feeling women that would actually date me.
Heck, if they could date you, what's the point. I want crazy hot chicks that are way out of my league, but "friendly" for the tip.

Seriously, the biggest draws to a cigar shop for me are:
1. proximity to home or work - gotta be convenient to go there.
2. staff shouldn't be a-holes.
3. comfy place with decent ventilation to relax and actually enjoy a cigar - that's the whole point.
4. staff shouldn't be a-holes
5. something to drink or eat either available in the store or next door (nothing wrong with grabbing a happy meal and heading into the smoke shop)
6. decent selection of smokes, but not that important if I can bring my own
7. did I mention the staff shouldn't be a-holes.
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #31
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

oooh you could give out minutos as the "toy" for the happy meal!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #32
barbourjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarcop View Post
How about a web page, online ordering, while having the store do just great would be awesome, the internet reaches out to alot of folks....like everyone here. Thats some huge clientele.
in order for me to be as large as i want too i would do online and over the phone orders.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #33
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

in addition to MTB's sugggestion about the staff not being a-holes

how about the staff actually knows something about cigars??? Its pretty sad when a noob like me is educating the guy behind the counter

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #34
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
in addition to MTB's sugggestion about the staff not being a-holes

how about the staff actually knows something about cigars??? Its pretty sad when a noob like me is educating the guy behind the counter
make them all pass a test on the difference between MOLD and plume
Old 12-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #35
mikeandshellie2
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shellie
Trading: (72)
Cohiba
mikeandshellie2 has a spectacular aura aboutmikeandshellie2 has a spectacular aura about

Cleaniness is my big thing, selection,as others have said place to sit and enjoy my cigar,alcohol is a plus. Internet service is a nice add-on. Great people and knowledge is most definately a key. Making sure the humidor is properly maintaining the cigars(but I think thats a given). Some of the guys have said they can order food from a place close, so location .. Hope this helps.
Shellie
mikeandshellie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #36
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Quote:
make them all pass a test on the difference between MOLD and plume
Show them the pictures at vitolas.net ... As well as the beetle pics!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #37
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba - NJ View Post
The only thing I would add to the B & M I frequent would be a TV . They have comfy seating and a friendly staff . They also hold events regularly , don't mind if you smoke your own and usually every friday night it's kind of like a party there . Good friendly place to smoke .
I forgot to add that I never got yelled at for moving any of the chairs around there either !
Bubba - NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #38
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Must have a decent selection of smokes and the staff must be friendly and accommodating. For example, there is a B&M close to work that has a fantastic selection, but the guy who runs the store is a real douche and has the personality of a wet towel. I hate to buy anything from them but they tend to get in some not so common things from time to time so I do pop in every once in awhile as much as it pains me. A perfect example of how much of a A-Hole this guy is the other day I popped in to see if they had Anejos. Sure enough they did but were sold out of Sharks. So when I asked if he knew if their other store had them in stock his answer was, " I dunno, why don't you call and ask?" Hmmm, would have been nice if he called for me but why would a douche of his caliber do such a thing? Anyway I grabbed a few sticks since they had no limits and went on my way thinking the same thing I always do when I walk out, "Why do I keep coming back?" I loved my old local back on Long Island. They had an awesome selection, a great lounge and the owner and other regulars could not be any friendlier.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #39
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
how important are looks? classier or more laid back?

the reason i ask is to get ideas of course. a self owned shop idea has been approved by my better half.

how important is location?

Quote:
if you were looking at becoming a member at a cigar shop or just someone who frequents one locally, what is the most important factor to you? or what do you look for in a shop?

The most important thing to me is a knowledgeable staff that is willing to take the time to help you when you are looking for something special. I want the sales person yo be able to help me with a with a good answer not just shoot from their hip and not know what they are talking about.

I do look to make sure they know what to do to keep the cigars well preserved. I hate it when I walk into a humidor and the cigars look dried out or wet. That's nuts.

Sorry if I was rnting but I hate it when the hired help don't even have a clue.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #40
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am definitely stopping in there on my next annual pilgrimage to the Springs

Oh, and for the shop. Hours are important. Both my locals close at 6, which means no evening smoking. Being open to 7 or 8 would be nice (they open at 730 but I don't/can't smoke in the morning)
You had better call me before you come so we cam have a smoke together! PM me for my number.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote