Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Contentedly Satisfied?

This is a something I've been thinking about for a while now, and especially since it has been challenged in a number of situations. It is the idea of contentment and satisfaction in regard to things we like, especially related to CA's main topics, cigars and pipes.

I have been smoking both pipe and cigars for 30+ years. I used to smoke 2-5 cigars or bowls a day, the pipe predominating because I could get more bang for my buck. I presently smoke that amount in a week, unless I am out fishing or hunting or at a herf, in which case I might do that or more in one day.

My reason for bringing this up is that I have some cigars and some samples of tobacco that sit in my humidor and I am leaving there. (and to be honest, am pondering giving away) Why? I'd like to think that it is because I am contentedly satisfied with what I already smoke.

This becomes an issue, given how little I smoke. I have come to the point that I really don't want to waste what precious few smoking times I do have on tryin something new that has gotten less than stellar reviews, or smoking that I tried once but which didn't really thrill me.

Now don't get me wrong, I still enjoy trying new things. This is more true with cigars than the pipe, for I have spent more time smoking my pipe in the past and have really narrowed down my tastes. And then, add to that the fact that I smoke my pipe 1 out of every 50 smokes, and I really don't want to waste that one bowl on something which leaves me disappointed.

I am wondering if I am the only one who is this way.

It isn't that I am no longer looking for that next new thing, but I am content, and if something new is going to break in, it better be something that is really stellar, something that will set off my "WOW" meter (as I like to call it).

I have even noticed this when I go out for dinner as well, or prepare meals. There are so many new recipes and ideas out there, and I have tried a few of them, but most often I may read the list of nouveau items on the menu, but then go to something which has satisfied me in the past. I am not really turned on by the idea of eating pork medallions "drizzled with a rasberry peanut butter reduction." Someone else can be the guinea pig on that one.

I'm certainly not at the point of smoking one cigar or only one tobacco, but I'd like to think I have tried enough to know what I'll like for my different moods and situations, and those are what I'll smoke. The times I'm going to try something new, it is often something that has gotten rave reviews, or has been suggested by someone whose tastes I know are very similar to mine.

Anyway, I am the only one thinking this way?

I'd like to think I haven't gotten old, crotchety, and set in my ways. I mean, the worlds of bourbon and rum are areas in I am trying new stuff - but it is all new. And I love trying new barley-pop-with-the-foam-on-top, but those are getting fewer and fewer.

So, who is with me?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Contentedly Satisfied?

I am kinda the same on the eating thing Todd. Cigars though is a different matter, I have only been at it for 3 years, but although I certainly have some favorites I really like trying new one's that I havent had before.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote