Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #21
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Question for you Computer Guru's out there

If all you can upgrade to is 2 GB RAM, I would go for a new board/processor with at least 4 GB RAM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #22
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
If all you can upgrade to is 2 GB RAM, I would go for a new board/processor with at least 4 GB RAM.
As an FYI, the computers I own range in memory from 48 MB to 4 GB. Most are maxed out, but even in my good desktop (that can handle 16), I only have 4 because I'm running a 32 bit OS. XP32 will only see and use 2-3GB for your apps.

In my opinion, there is no need for more than 1 GB memory running XP32 unless you typically have a bunch of programs open at once or do things like video/music editing or rendering animation (or perhaps hard core gaming).

Certainly, the difference between 2 and 4 GB is very small since you only can only use 2 GB of the memory with 32bit XP, unless you use the /3GB switch in the boot.ini, and even then you can only use 3GB virtual address space.

I noticed no speed increase when I upgraded the memory from 2-4GB in 2 laptops and 2 desktops (using the /3GB switch). When I look to see how much memory is being used, it is rare that I even break 512MB. Then again, I don't game or do video editing.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

OK folks that KNOW, i have an issue. I have a MICRO-ATX mainboard I just installed.
INITIALLY I also bought an ATX 600w power supply to mount into the new case.
Through my ignorance, I saw a power connector with only 20 pins that had to go into a 24 pin power plug.
I NOW KNOW why I was stupid to go back to TigerDirect and buy a SECOND power supply that was actually
listed as a MICRO-ATX power supply. The only one they sold was a 300w power supply and I bought it.

Plain and simple, if you know what you are doing, you place TWO jacks side by side to make 24 pins and bammo,
you move on. I always just had the one jack to plug into the motherboard. That was new for me.

But the damage was done, I ordered a MICRO ATX 300w supply and got it in today and IT ALSO has only the 20 pin
connector. This led me to the moment of doofus discovery that told me, DERH, you place the two connectors together
and it works.... I could have saved the trouble and just installed the 600w ATX supply on Monday night and been done
HAD I KNOWN all that.

Here is the question. Is that Micro ATX motherboard topped out at 300w for a reason? I have it in the case now,
powering the mother board with no problems.

IF I WAS TO INSTALL that 600w power supply like I intend to, will I damage the board in some way?
I am going to be running Sony Vegas Video editing software on it and that will work the machine pretty
hard during rendering and playback of video. But in the end, all I am plugging into the board is a 500G
Hard Drive and a DVD burner. I am not POWERING all that much at all. It seems the 300w supply is fine
and technically, is sold as a MICRO ATX power supply. Do I want to install the 600watt unit or is that a bad idea?
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #24
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

"microATX was explicitly designed to be backward-compatible with ATX. The mounting points of microATX motherboards are a subset of those used on full-size ATX boards, and the I/O panel is identical. Thus, microATX motherboards can be used in full-size ATX cases. Furthermore, most microATX motherboards generally use the same power connectors as ATX motherboards,[6] thus permitting the use of full-size ATX power supplies with microATX boards."

The wattage should indicate max draw, but I haven't thought about this stuff in years.

You may want to call the manufacturer of the board (microATX is a standard, not a brand). They should have a customer support number.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #25
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

You are fine running either. Unless you are running multiple video cards, hard drives, and media drives, the 300w should easily handle the job.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #26
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
"microATX was explicitly designed to be backward-compatible with ATX.
Thanks, that is basically why I just ordered the heavier duty power supply. i have always felt that
the computer will use what it wants, and you should always have more than you need.

but "when it didn't FIT" I thought, oh crap. like I said, I figured it out once the SECOND power supply
arrived and I got ready to plug it up. But when the webstore listed a specific MICRO ATX power supply,
I got nervous, especially since the only one they had listed as MICRO ATX was 300w, which I consider
to be "weak". I figured though, that if that's all that board needs, 300w, then that's all I will give it.
If I notice any trouble, I guess I will use the 600w unit and move on.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #27
OLS
Suck It

The Asylum might be full of crazy people, but some of them are smart. Thanks to all who played.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #28
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGAR View Post
In my opinion, there is no need for more than 1 GB memory running XP32 unless you typically have a bunch of programs open at once or do things like video/music editing or rendering animation (or perhaps hard core gaming).
x86 XP is 3 OS's old at this point. It's about making a hardware configuration they'll get some forward years out vs. what is good on an outdated OS as of today.