Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough
Default Best way to seal a big cabinet

Maintaining a constant rh level in this thingis a huge pain. I think I'm really trying to maintain this whole room instead. Anyone have any experience in making this an actual humidor and not just a cabinet?

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best way to seal a big cabinet

I have noticed that those cabinets do not have a seal. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a small weather seal and place it on the body of the cabinet. If it does not have a latch to keep the door closed you can always get one that is a spade shaped male end that goes on the door and the female end that is two rollers that goes on the body.

The best seal I have found is a "D" type seal tha is shaped like a D and has double sided tape on the I portion of the D. The seal is no more than a centimeter wide.

You could also go the extra step and get a clear caulk that does not smell, don't use silicone, it stinks. Remove all te shelves and caulk all the seams on the body.
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:40 AM   #3
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road

I think Drew hit the nail on the head, weatherstrip the edges where the door meets the cabinet, put a latch on it to keep it closed tightly. And you will need something to seal the corners of the cabinet.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:20 AM   #4
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Check this out Steve, I seen this advertisement yesterday and thought of some of you who have humi leaks

https://www.asseenontv.com/stop-leak...top-leaks-fast
Old 12-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkDrew View Post
The best seal I have found is a "D" type seal tha is shaped like a D
which is not to be confused with the "D" type seal that is shaped like a K.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
sevans105

Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, those K shaped seals are pretty useless....Sea World won't even take them. They just look funny.

Good advice on the weatherstripping though. I'll go pick some up this afternoon. It does have a latch built in...a lock actually, and the hinges are depth adjustable so I think with a bit of effort this might actually be a good thing.
Thanks!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Scott, I have nearly that same cabinet. Are the sides of yours made out of laminated medium density fiber board or actual wood? Mine are the fiber board and I'm currently having an issue with the screws pulling out of the bottom hinge. If yours is the same, just be careful that adding the weather stripping may add more pressure on the hinges as you try to close the door.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
sevans105

Cohiba

The sides are laminate. I'll be careful with the hinges...thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I figured as much. I"m thinking of plugging mine with dowels, then redrilling some pilot holes and using longer screws so they sink in further.

If I wasn't looking at a treadmill, I might just get a better cabinet.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
sevans105

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I figured as much. I"m thinking of plugging mine with dowels, then redrilling some pilot holes and using longer screws so they sink in further.

How many cigars can a treadmill hold?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
How many cigars can a treadmill hold?
Quite a few until you hit the "Go" button.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

You can break off a few toothpicks in the stripped out hole and do essentially the same thing. You have the added bonus of already having a pilot hole drilled.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #13
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about

I have the same one and 4 pounds of beads seems to keep it pretty stable. I have to spray them down in the winter maybe every other week, but in the summer. we're good.

The seal on the door is not tight like everyone says... but it doesn't seem to be to big a deal for me.

all that said.. weather stripping could make it even better.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Please tell me your not serious on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Check this out Steve, I seen this advertisement yesterday and thought of some of you who have humi leaks

https://www.asseenontv.com/stop-leak...top-leaks-fast
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
sevans105

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
Please tell me your not serious on this!
It's Mickey....why would you think he was serious? He's Named after a frikkin cartoon mouse for pete's sake!

Although, to his credit, if you ever find yourself with the bottom of your boat replaced by a screen door, you are gonna be grateful for Mickey looking out for you.

It could happen!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

just use the peel and stick weatherstripping (foam stuff) and get a staebell set and forget. I have a very large cabinet and this works fine.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
You can break off a few toothpicks in the stripped out hole and do essentially the same thing. You have the added bonus of already having a pilot hole drilled.
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought of doing that also.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #18
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
It's Mickey....why would you think he was serious? He's Named after a frikkin cartoon mouse for pete's sake!

Although, to his credit, if you ever find yourself with the bottom of your boat replaced by a screen door, you are gonna be grateful for Mickey looking out for you.

It could happen!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #19
RonC

Quote:
Scott, I have nearly that same cabinet. Are the sides of yours made out of laminated medium density fiber board or actual wood? Mine are the fiber board and I'm currently having an issue with the screws pulling out of the bottom hinge. If yours is the same, just be careful that adding the weather stripping may add more pressure on the hinges as you try to close the door.
do not put the weatherstripping on the front edge of the cabinet. put it on side wall, and just have it stick over the edge a little bit. this way wont cause pressure on the hinges
Old 12-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Those cabinets are not very structurally sound. They're nice and they'll work good, but you have to be cautious with them.

First thing is that you have to have them sitting on a solid surface. No carpet. Otherwise they'll rack and you'll never get a seal. If it must stay on carpet, an oversized piece of 3/4 plywood underneath the entire unit will suffice if you can make it stay level once the unit is on it.
All that stuff on top, it's gotta go. That weight will cause the unit to rack out of square and the door won't seal. It's not meant to have stuff on top of it, and it can't support it. It's not designed to, and it's not engineered to have things stacked on it.
Try to balance/spread the weight of your boxes and stuff evenly in the unit, too. That's important.
Once those issues are addressed, you can let it settle for a bit and see if she squares back up. That may alleviate some issues, then you can march on from there.
Right now you're in "user caused error" land, my brother. Get that ironed out and it'll likely fix itself.

If not, there's all sorts of fixes that come next, but you have to start with a solid foundation.
Good Luck, my friend!!!